Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 08:03 AM

1 posts, read 3,662 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about taking a new job in the Ballston area, but I am concerned about the commute from my house in South Riding (Chantilly). Does anyone have any suggestions on the best form of transportation and route?

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 07:40 AM

281 posts, read 1,008,481 times
I also live in South Riding and commute daily to Ballston. If you can find someone to carpool with, I suggest doing so. I currently ride in to work with my husband, so we take advantage of the HOV restrictions on 66. It takes roughly 30-40 minutes - we take Route 50 east to 66, and then 66 all the way in.

Before I started carpooling, I would take Route 50 all the way in (get off at N. Carlin Springs Road, which ultimately puts you on Glebe Rd). It would take me anywhere from 40 mins to 2 hours, depending on traffic/weather/accidents etc. I've had people suggest taking 50 to 66, then 495 South, then getting back on 50. Doing so may help to bypass some of the traffic through Fairfax, but I never went that way.

Also, you could take 50 to 66, then ride the Metro in to Ballston. That usually took about 40 mins to an hour total travel time, including walking to the office.

No matter what way you go, I would suggest leaving for the office early if you can - we are out the door by 6:30 and on our way home by 4pm, which I think helps the traffic situation. When I would take 50 all the way in, I would try to leave a little earlier - usually around 6am.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:45 AM

352 posts, read 1,591,490 times
You're in a bit of a bind. The Loudoun County Bus Service really doesn't provide service to Ballston that I can see (Commuter Bus Schedules (http://www.loudoun.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=969 - broken link)). Fairfax Connector doesn't seem to have anything convenient to you either (Schedules and Maps*- Fairfax County, Virginia (http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/connector/schedulesmaps.htm - broken link)).

Best option according to the South Riding website (South Riding - Loudoun County Transit Expands Commuter Bus Service (http://www.southriding.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1226&Ite mid=917 - broken link)) is to take the Stone Ridge Loudoun bus to Rosslyn, then bounce back westbound on the Orange line a few stops to Ballston.

Either that, or find a carpool buddy (or a hybrid), take Route 28 to the Dulles Toll Road straight into I-66, and get off at Ballston/Glebe Road, Exit 71. I-66 inside the beltway is HOV/Hybrid ONLY from 6am-9am.

Notice I'm leaving out the "driving single passenger auto" option, since South Riding to Ballston will damage your soul if you try to do that too long.

I hope this helps!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knopfler View Post
Notice I'm leaving out the "driving single passenger auto" option, since South Riding to Ballston will damage your soul if you try to do that too long.
It's really not all that bad. I was fine driving it by myself - most days it took about 50 minutes. If I left home by 6am, I was usually sitting at my desk by 6:45, 7am at the latest. Only on very rare occasions would it take more than an hour, and that was usually on my commute home.

I believe there is a park and ride lot at Lafayette Business park, which is off of Stonecroft Blvd (I think). There are buses that run from there to the Fairfax/Vienna Metro.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becwells View Post
It's really not all that bad. I was fine driving it by myself - most days it took about 50 minutes. If I left home by 6am, I was usually sitting at my desk by 6:45, 7am at the latest. Only on very rare occasions would it take more than an hour, and that was usually on my commute home.

I believe there is a park and ride lot at Lafayette Business park, which is off of Stonecroft Blvd (I think). There are buses that run from there to the Fairfax/Vienna Metro.
How? From South Riding, you'd either have to go in I-66 to I-495 to Route 50 to Wilson Blvd (since I-66 inside the beltway is HOV-only) or trek up Route 28 to the Dulles Toll Road, but even then it'd dump you off on I-66 inside the beltway and you'd have the HOV problem again.

How did you leave from South Riding (or nearby) and get to Ballston in 50 minutes?

Old 01-14-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knopfler View Post
How did you leave from South Riding (or nearby) and get to Ballston in 50 minutes?

I just took 50E the whole way in - no 66, no 495.

I don't know "how" it took 50 minutes, but I did it every day for close to a year. It probably had something to do with leaving so early - I encountered very little traffic in the morning. It would usually take longer coming home - I would usually hit traffic in between the Beltway and where you turn right to stay on 50.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:44 PM

488 posts, read 1,746,244 times
LC Bus service takes you to West Falls Church metro.

from there its only few stations to Ballston.

Not too bad.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becwells View Post

I just took 50E the whole way in - no 66, no 495.

I don't know "how" it took 50 minutes, but I did it every day for close to a year. It probably had something to do with leaving so early - I encountered very little traffic in the morning. It would usually take longer coming home - I would usually hit traffic in between the Beltway and where you turn right to stay on 50.
Wow. That's impressive. My nonscientific impression is that Route 50 has worsened and that'd be closer to 75 minutes now. Our friend might want to do a test run and see.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:44 AM

488 posts, read 1,746,244 times
50 minutes from South Riding to Ballston?

only if you travel before sunrise....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia