Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 12:34 PM

660 posts, read 1,706,710 times

Advertisements

So Governor McDonnell proclaimed April "Confederate History Month" in the Commonwealth. Such proclamations were standard during the Republican governorships in the 90's, but both Warner and Kaine refused to issue similar proclamations during their terms.

Governor Robert F. McDonnell: Our Commonwealth

What do you all think of this? Are any of you centrists who thought that McDonnell was a moderate and that the VA GOP had moved past this sort of thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 12:39 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,335,001 times
Doesn't surprise me. I knew McDonnell was no moderate. It really cracked me up when he gave state workers a couple of hours off and is giving them back furlough days this year. Fiscally conservative? Yeah. Right.

I don't think the Confederacy is something to celebrate. Read about it in history? Yes, but there is nothing to be proud of when it comes to the Confederacy.

Shameful, IMO.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:34 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,099,272 times
It just seems like pandering - perhaps he wants to curry favor with the Dixie-flying crowd in other parts of the state (or country) after having emphasized his NoVa connection during the general election and then subsequently refusing to tinker with the school funding formula that made more money available to NoVa schools and localities. The proclamation itself is certainly quite the grab bag of ambiguous messages.

Having said that, if McDonnell tacks far enough right, I wouldn't be at all surprised if NoVa starts to reject GOP candidates again, particularly if AG Cuccinelli continues on his merry crusade to become a darling of the ultra-right wing.

Last edited by JD984; 04-06-2010 at 01:54 PM..

Old 04-06-2010, 02:36 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,335,159 times
It is more of an observance than a celebration as stated in his proclamation.:

WHEREAS, this defining chapter in Virginia’s history should not be forgotten, but instead should be studied, understood and remembered by all Virginians, both in the context of the time in which it took place, but also in the context of the time in which we live, and this study and remembrance takes on particular importance as the Commonwealth prepares to welcome the nation and the world to visit Virginia for the Sesquicentennial Anniversary of the Civil War, a four-year period in which the exploration of our history can benefit all;

I have no problem with it and definitely don't see it as shameful.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:12 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,259,018 times
What the hell are you people blabbering about? The Confederacy is a part of our history and should be remembered. He's not celebrating slavery or its bad points but is only remembering the people of the time.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:20 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,099,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
What the hell are you people blabbering about? The Confederacy is a part of our history and should be remembered. He's not celebrating slavery or its bad points but is only remembering the people of the time.
I disagree, as apparently did our last two Governors. While I don't personally subscribe to the view that "there is nothing to be proud of when it comes to the Confederacy," the tone of the proclamation arguably goes beyond simply urging Virginians to study the state's history.
Statements such as "it is important for all Virginians * * * to understand the sacrifices of the Confederate leaders, soldiers and citizens during the period of the Civil War" come awfully close to waxing nostalgic, and the suggestion that all the defeated Confederates fully embraced reunification at the end of the Civil War is not exactly supported by later developments.

Last edited by JD984; 04-06-2010 at 03:35 PM..

Old 04-06-2010, 03:32 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,972,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I agree... but I'd be more impressed if we also devoted months to the other phases of Virginia's history.

Why don't we have a Tobacco Plantation Month. A War of 1812 month. A Signer of the Declaration Month. An Industrial Revolution Month. A Jazz Era Month. A Depression Month. A McMansion Month.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:27 PM

660 posts, read 1,706,710 times
For me, the fact that the proclamation fails to mention slavery is quite telling. While the Confederacy is clearly a part of Virginia's history and not something that should be ignored, to mention the Confederacy without mentioning slavery is bizarre.

If we are to be sympathetic towards the sacrifices of Confederate leaders and soldiers, how about also being sympathetic towards the sacrifices of those people whose rights were completely denied under the Confederacy?

Old 04-06-2010, 05:32 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,656,612 times
I'm fine with it...Virginia IS a southern state. NoVA people can't get that into their heads. Maybe we need rename NoVA to East Virginia or something, it's like a damn different state.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:45 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,953,888 times
This really rubs me the wrong way. It's one thing to know your history; it's another to celebrate the ugly parts. This comes across as the latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia