Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 01:11 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,250,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
Ok, you don't like me Bigfoot. Got it. I think two threads worth of saying it is probably enough.
Has nothing to do with liking you so get your panties unwound. It's just the negative attitudes from the likes of a few posters that get old. Don't like it here then move. I've lived here since 73 and I'm ready to bail myself. Not because of the reasons you and RestonRunner complain about though. It's the heat and humidity I'm tired of. I'm in a great neighborhood and will miss the neighborhood and my many friends. I'm tired of the illegal immigration problems and I'm tired of the traffic.
Being so negative must take a toll on you guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 01:14 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,891,567 times
Quote:
I think Southerners chat up everybody they can because the number one pastime is gossiping about people.
That might be true. Well, no actually football would be the number one past-time. But we are bad about gossiping. No way I can deny that. But it's not all mean-spirited. Mostly, we chat about new babies, church, family, hunting/fishing, books, kids, football, etc.... "How is your mama" is a pretty common conversation starter.

Quote:
While some people are stressed everywhere...I don't think EVERYBODY is stressed around here. I know I'm not. I have everything I want...wonderful family, great friends, and enough money to last several lifetimes....ZERO stress! But I can understand how transients see "stress" everywhere they look. I think they are the stressed ones! LOL
How long have you lived here? You probably don't even realize how stressed out everyone up here is. I know that after only three years up here, I stop being shocked by rude behavior.

Just an example: It's very common for people to push on the Metro. It's very common for people to get angry if you (god forbid) stand to the left on the escalator. No one thinks twice about cutting you off in traffic. Men don't hold doors for women. And honestly, I think it's because most of the women act like men. Do you even know that in many parts of our country a man would NEVER sit down on a bus if a lady was standing. I've watched men push pregnant women out of the way to get to a seat on the Metro. Were they rude? Honestly, no. They just don't see anyone but themselves.

When you live up here, even for a few years, you forgot what manners are. You forget that there are places where people just don't act ugly to each other.

And again, for the record, I don't hate living up here. I just don't see any reason to sugar coat the realities of life in the D.C. area anymore than I would anywhere else. Northern Virginia has fantastic schools, tons of stuff to do all year round, decent weather (usually), and is a very educated and affluent area. I love all that stuff!

Old 04-10-2010, 01:26 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,949,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
That might be true. Well, no actually football would be the number one past-time. But we are bad about gossiping. No way I can deny that. But it's not all mean-spirited. Mostly, we chat about new babies, church, family, hunting/fishing, books, kids, football, etc.... "How is your mama" is a pretty common conversation starter.

How long have you lived here? You probably don't even realize how stressed out everyone up here is. I know that after only three years up here, I stop being shocked by rude behavior.

Just an example: It's very common for people to push on the Metro. It's very common for people to get angry if you (god forbid) stand to the left on the escalator. No one thinks twice about cutting you off in traffic. Men don't hold doors for women. And honestly, I think it's because most of the women act like men. Do you even know that in many parts of our country a man would NEVER sit down on a bus if a lady was standing. I've watched men push pregnant women out of the way to get to a seat on the Metro. Were they rude? Honestly, no. They just don't see anyone but themselves.

When you live up here, even for a few years, you forgot what manners are. You forget that there are places where people just don't act ugly to each other.

And again, for the record, I don't hate living up here. I just don't see any reason to sugar coat the realities of life in the D.C. area anymore than I would anywhere else. Northern Virginia has fantastic schools, tons of stuff to do all year round, decent weather (usually), and is a very educated and affluent area. I love all that stuff!

What does that even mean?

Old 04-10-2010, 01:27 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,094,790 times
Quote:
You are making me laugh. It really is the case that Southerners like to talk. A lot. And, as long as they bring plenty of good Southern food to the chat-filled event, I am 100% down with that.

You know how to quiet a full room full of small-town Southeners? Announce that you voted for a Democrat. Silence will immediately descend on the room, and all those folks who wanted to know about Mama will stop in mid-sentence, mouths agape, while they gaze at you with a mixture of concern and horror on their faces. They will then take up a collection the following Sunday to help you move back to their town, where people think straight.

Definitely not as many good cream pies, biscuits, and potato salads in NoVa, but a little more diversity in thought is accepted..guess you could say it's because no one cares as much what others think or do up here!

Last edited by JD984; 04-10-2010 at 01:36 PM..

Old 04-10-2010, 01:49 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,881,910 times
I must be getting old... I can remember when it seemed most white Southerners were Democrats (very, very conservative Democrats, though, mind you) owing almost entirely to some peculiar nostalgic loyalty to their Democratic Confederate forebears.

But then, I can remember when 'Republican' brought to mind a wealthy, emotionally cold Daddy Warbucks-type figure, and 'Democrat' a union worker in overalls. (Both white Northerners, though.)

Sorry - I have a bit of an academic interest in stereotypes.

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 04-10-2010 at 02:26 PM..

Old 04-10-2010, 02:06 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,891,567 times
Quote:
You know how to quiet a full room full of small-town Southeners? Announce that you voted for a Democrat. Silence will immediately descend on the room, and all those folks who wanted to know about Mama will stop in mid-sentence, mouths agape, while they gaze at you with a mixture of concern and horror on their faces. They will then take up a collection the following Sunday to help you move back to their town, where people think straight.
That is so true!

And I'm old too Alicia. I remember when most southerners were democrats...even the very wealthy ones. My how things have changed!

Old 04-10-2010, 02:55 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,679,964 times
Quote:
...How long have you lived here? You probably don't even realize how stressed out everyone up here is. I know that after only three years up here, I stop being shocked by rude behavior.

How long have I been here? Born at the old Alexandria Hospital on Washington St in 1951. Still live in the house my dad built in 1946.

Been here ever since...except for six years at college in New Haven CT...and a few short postings during my 30 years with DoD. I turned down many more that would have furthered my career....but I wanted to be here. I knew it would never matter a bit if my pension was 70K instead of 80K.

I know how you feel though, I'm homesick too...and I never left! I'm homesick for the NOVA of the 1950's and 60's. You can't even imagine what it was like...just an example, Woodson High School was a working dairy farm!

Old 04-10-2010, 03:30 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,679,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Another defensive post by someone in the NoVA forum. What else is new?
Whoa bud...the only things I defend are my family and my property. I don't give a rat's rear end who likes this place and who doesn't.

In fact, I have advised folks, here and IRL, NOT to come here expecting it to be like Home Sweet Home. My motto has always been...Don't sell your soul for a paycheck, life is way too short to be somewhere you don't want to be!

Old 04-10-2010, 05:40 PM

461 posts, read 910,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Moderator Cut
Just look above where he tells me the lack of "community" or "coziness" in Reston is MY fault. For God's sake my upstairs neighbors moved out without even saying good-bye to me, and that was the same man whom I "rescued" when his SUV became stuck when he was joyriding around the parking lot. I never see my next-door neighbor, and when I do he's always in a hurry. I wave and say "Good morning" to some other neighbors on occasion just to be friendly and often times don't get a response. I'm told not to blame the area because ALL apartment complexes are this way. Not necessarily. Back in my area of PA a lot of apartment-dwellers really started to get to know and appreciate one another. Here that's not the case. I'm moving out in a few weeks, and at this point I probably won't say good-bye to anyone, either, because of how jaded I've become.
Thanks RestonRunner. That's exactly what I'm talking about. I lived in the same apartment for years and tried to start conversations with people every chance I had, or at least say "hi." Two roommates who had an assigned spot next to me that only dodged me and left nasty notes on my car. This went on for years. Nearly the only friendly people were those who first moved in, but then the culture would bring them down. The main thing is that people didn't want to be friends or to even see you. There was no Holiday party, etc. Eventually the community became divided over an issue and people fought each other. It was a natural consequence of their attitudes.

I made one friend while I was there, but but he wasn't the come over for dinner kind of friend. At least he was someone I talked to or e-mailed on a daily basis. He felt the same way. The environment was toxic.

Anyway, as I mentioned, I like NOVA and try to accept what I can't change. Few people would disagree that traffic is getting worse and drivers more aggressive. I guess that others might debate the rest. I know that NOVA is changing and it's too bad. Anyhow, I appreciate you not letting me feel all alone on a couple of issues.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:55 PM

461 posts, read 910,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I know how you feel though, I'm homesick too...and I never left! I'm homesick for the NOVA of the 1950's and 60's. You can't even imagine what it was like...just an example, Woodson High School was a working dairy farm!
Oh man, I so wish I could have lived in a NOVA like that. Back when there were farms in Western Fairfax County. Sometimes I hear about the innocent things that they used to have like a children's storybook park, a Western theme park, and a place that had pony rides.

I mentioned this before, but I think that it was more friendly even in the '90s. Someday, I'll probably even look back on this time with nostalgia the way things are going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia