Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 06:22 AM

66 posts, read 199,949 times

Advertisements

Of course people move to the North or Midwest because they want to. Boston is a great city, unfortunately the job opportunities aren't as readily available as they are here. Chicago is a nice city also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 07:09 AM

461 posts, read 911,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac10 View Post
Of course people move to the North or Midwest because they want to. Boston is a great city, unfortunately the job opportunities aren't as readily available as they are here. Chicago is a nice city also.
Do you know anyone specifically? Never in my life have I heard anyone say, "Geez I just fell in love with Boston (or Chicago) and _have_ to live there." Or "the people in Boston or Chicago) are so pleasant, I just have to live there," etc. I've heard this about cities in the Carolinas, Florida, and Colorado. _Never_ ever for a Northern city. There must be folks out there. I still suspect that the people that I'd be hearing from have lived in the area previously and are just accustomed to it.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I'm sure many people mave north by choice. It's got many nice cities and towns. Some people really love winter. Why is this question in the Virginia forum? Maybe you should post it in the General US forum.
All right, do you know anyone from NOVA? I'm really thinking about people from here because this is where I live. And the context is how many Northerners move HERE. It's truly amazing. I have a whole Northern city transplanted into my neighborhood.

So who do you know _specifically_ living in NOVA who loves the North and has to move there because it's so wonderful. Not a homesick Northerner or someone who moved because they had to for a job? It does not seem like you can.

Again, the point to me is how many people flee that area to come to NOVA.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:19 AM

Where are you from Normie? Just the region is fine; I don't need to pry. I'll bet it's from the North.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
Do you know anyone specifically? Never in my life have I heard anyone say, "Geez I just fell in love with Boston (or Chicago) and _have_ to live there." Or "the people in Boston or Chicago) are so pleasant, I just have to live there," etc. I've heard this about cities in the Carolinas, Florida, and Colorado. _Never_ ever for a Northern city. There must be folks out there. I still suspect that the people that I'd be hearing from have lived in the area previously and are just accustomed to it.
Yes, I have a friend who moved Maryland to go to grad school. Although there were opportunities in Maryland, she specifically moved back to Boston because she likes it there. She is not from the Northeast. I would move to Boston if the job prospects and salary were comparable to DC.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac10 View Post
Yes, I have a friend who moved Maryland to go to grad school. Although there were opportunities in Maryland, she specifically moved back to Boston because she likes it there. She is not from the Northeast. I would move to Boston if the job prospects and salary were comparable to DC.
Moving for graduate school doesn't count either. They did not go:

1) I'm moving to Boston
2) I'll major in Home Ec, Law, or Chemistry, doesn't matter

They did go:

1) Degree
2) School
3) City

Boston area has many good schools.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:44 AM

486 posts, read 1,667,997 times
I am a little partial because I spent my middle and high school years in Northern NY, on the Canadian border, but I have no family there anymore, and I'd move back there in a heart-beat if there were more well paying jobs.

I love a colder climate and the small town, layed back feel. Sometimes it's too layed back for me, but it's not as stressful a pace. Unfortunately where I'm from the housing costs have increased tremendously due to tourists buying up property, but the job opportunities and salaries have not increased at the same home price pace.

If we ever move again, I think we'll move further North as opposed to further South in general.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Moving for graduate school doesn't count either. They did not go:

1) I'm moving to Boston

2) I'll major in Home Ec, Law, or Chemistry, doesn't matter

They did go:

1) Degree

2) School

3) City

Boston area has many good schools.

No. She moved to Maryland to go to grad school. Afterwards, she said "I'm moving to Boston". And did so.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:47 AM

811 posts, read 2,168,603 times
I'd have to imagine that people would move to places like NYC and Chicago for actual city life. Boston and Philadelphia too. of course dc and to a lesser degree Baltimolre can find this but the major cities of the "real south" that are popular eg Charlotte and Atlanta aren't really known for this. And this would pertain more to singles than families .

Old 04-07-2010, 07:49 AM

660 posts, read 1,708,913 times
Quote:
All right, do you know anyone from NOVA? I'm really thinking about people from here because this is where I live. And the context is how many Northerners move HERE. It's truly amazing. I have a whole Northern city transplanted into my neighborhood.

So who do you know _specifically_ living in NOVA who loves the North and has to move there because it's so wonderful. Not a homesick Northerner or someone who moved because they had to for a job? It does not seem like you can.

Again, the point to me is how many people flee that area to come to NOVA.
I'm from here, and at my high school reunion last November, a lot of my classmates were living in NYC and loving it. Plenty of people from here love the North and would never consider moving further south (in fact, I would venture to say that most DC area locals would move north or west before moving south).

Normie's from SoCal, FWIW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia