Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 06:13 PM

125 posts, read 404,270 times

Advertisements

I believe you. Of course I would say hello if I passed someone on the street. I would also start a conversation if we were in the same place for a few moments. I do it (or try) all the time. It's just that it beats you down when you say "hi" to people who don't respond, even when there's a long time that you have to walk past them before they're gone. The rudeness is truly amazing, and it's not native. Generalizations always have great shortcomings, but the rude behavior is not native Virginian, I know for sure

Well it would be nice if everyday politeness came back as commonplace. Perhaps it isn't where you are from, instead how you are raised, the values instilled by your parents, etc. Don't get beat down..look at it as a challenge to "win them over with kindness". Best of luck!

Last edited by lovetoboat; 04-12-2010 at 07:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 06:20 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
We (old time Fairfaxers) used to tell the folks in Arlington & Alexandria the same thing...and, unfortunately, they took our advice!

Enjoy it while you can....the bulldozers are headed your way!
You just better not think about bringing them bulldozers to KY. Lexington and Louisville does not need DC commuters on the road.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:05 AM

461 posts, read 909,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
You just better not think about bringing them bulldozers to KY. Lexington and Louisville does not need DC commuters on the road.
That's one of the things that puts me at odds with the "sunshine and puppy dogs" crowd. I plan on staying here, so when I notice something nice like a park or something, I don't really have an incentive to post about it, because I don't want it overrun and more people moving in. (Had a beautiful walk yesterday.)

The Washingon Post had an article about how traffic continues to get worse. As if we needed to be told. Usually, it's the folks who are planning on selling who try to convince people to move into their neighborhood no matter how ill suited for them it is.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoboat View Post
I believe you. Of course I would say hello if I passed someone on the street. I would also start a conversation if we were in the same place for a few moments. I do it (or try) all the time. It's just that it beats you down when you say "hi" to people who don't respond, even when there's a long time that you have to walk past them before they're gone. The rudeness is truly amazing, and it's not native. Generalizations always have great shortcomings, but the rude behavior is not native Virginian, I know for sure

Well it would be nice if everyday politeness came back as commonplace. Perhaps it isn't where you are from, instead how you are raised, the values instilled by your parents, etc.
Actually I do blame most of it on their mammas for bringing them up to act that way.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:50 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,879,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
That's one of the things that puts me at odds with the "sunshine and puppy dogs" crowd. I plan on staying here, so when I notice something nice like a park or something, I don't really have an incentive to post about it, because I don't want it overrun and more people moving in. (Had a beautiful walk yesterday.)

The Washingon Post had an article about how traffic continues to get worse. As if we needed to be told. Usually, it's the folks who are planning on selling who try to convince people to move into their neighborhood no matter how ill suited for them it is.
I'm a non-driver who's appalled at the insane numbers of over-sized trucks and SUVs in this area (no, not necessarily in far-flung places like Ashburn - that bothers me less; I mean in close-in places like Arlington). That said, though, I am shocked at the area's insufficient road infrastructure. When old two-lane country roads are functioning as major thoroughfares through Fairfax County, we clearly have a problem. Build bridges - tunnels - whatever. Or zone for fewer people. Just do something - the current situation is obviously not cutting it. (Unlike RestonRunner86, I don't think higher-density development will solve the problem. What percentage of people living in high-density suburbs like Arlington, for instance, actually forego having their own vehicles? As unpleasant as this may be, in NoVA, higher density development would equal more traffic, not less. People are married to their vehicles, and whining about it isn't going to change anything.)

Last edited by FindingZen; 04-13-2010 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: please use current screennames

Old 04-13-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
I'm a non-driver who's appalled at the insane numbers of over-sized trucks and SUVs in this area (no, not necessarily in far-flung places like Ashburn - that bothers me less; I mean in close-in places like Arlington). That said, though, I am shocked at the area's insufficient road infrastructure. When old two-lane country roads are functioning as major thoroughfares through Fairfax County, we clearly have a problem. Build bridges - tunnels - whatever. Or zone for fewer people. Just do something - the current situation is obviously not cutting it. (Unlike RestonRunner86, I don't think higher-density development will solve the problem. What percentage of people living in high-density suburbs like Arlington, for instance, actually forego having their own vehicles? As unpleasant as this may be, in NoVA, higher density development would equal more traffic, not less. People are married to their vehicles, and whining about it isn't going to change anything.)
Great point. My county, Fairfax, has to give specific permission for development to occur. If other NOVA counties are organized differently, there are certainly things they can do to limit growth such as refuse to bring in sewer lines, restrictive zoning, etc.

Even if we poured more money into transportation, we still would not be able to build ourselves out of it. I"m not saying that high-density building wouldn't help and that it might be one of the more realistic solutions, it's population growth that is the problem. Also, forcing everyone into smaller places may suit some foks, but it's a degradation of life for those who have like yards and houses. Immigration policy and zoning/permits are probably the only hope to actually stabilizing the problem rather than making it less bad. Basically, we're out of luck

Last edited by FindingZen; 04-13-2010 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: adjusted previously edited quote

Old 04-13-2010, 09:27 AM

I should have said that more money for transportation would help. It's just that without major (and unlikely) policy changes, it's still just going to get worse and worse. The roads that we have in Farifax are actually great improvements on what was here, but development increased along with them, and it's bad all over again.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:39 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
They did do something out in western Loudoun County by establishing minimum acreage for homes. The net effect has made the cost of housing out there comparable to many closer-in areas, causing many to leapfrog over to West Virginia.

I would say that relatively ease of transportation is one advantage that larger Northeastern metros have. That's not to say it's a picnic to commute to Boston, NYC or Philly (or Chicago too to include another "Northern" city)...but the road and transit infrastructure has been established and improved upon more often than many fast-growing regions to the south and west. That said, I believe that NOVA and DC are actually doing well compared to, say, Atlanta, Houston and Phoenix in terms of addressing transportation issues. And that is with what appears to be historically slow and reluctant help from the government in Richmond.

When it comes down to it, DC is the hotspot for jobs in good times and bad. And NOVA is at the epicenter of it all, thanks largely to Tysons Corner, Dulles Tech Corridor and elsewhere in Fairfax Co., eastern Loudoun and even Arlington. So, for better or worse, people are going to continue to come.

Or for the short version, see the post right above me.lol

Old 04-13-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
. And that is with what appears to be historically slow and reluctant help from the government in Richmond.
Bingo. Probably the biggest problem. We have large infrastructure needs to accommodate our business and population growth, but Richmond takes 1/3 to 1/2 of our transportation funding from us. (What we pay in taxes vs. what we should be getting back compared to the state.)

Old 04-15-2010, 12:47 PM

382 posts, read 1,530,961 times
FairfaxGuy - the reason there are jobs down here is because of the Federal government. The private sector is here to sip at the gravy train of fat contracts. Even when the rest of the country suffers economically, the DC area prospers. Also, as for the south and its jobs, South Carolina's unemployment is almost 13% and NC not much lower. Open your mind, the "North"'s a very diverse area. Sorry but I can't help but wonder if you've got an agenda here with this post. I know many people who moved north and don't miss Nova/DC at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia