Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 09:46 AM

11 posts, read 17,157 times

Advertisements

anyone know of any good small towns OUTSIDE of the metro area? Needs to be good for a new family but close enough to DC where you can get in and out in with a day trip. all of our family lives in fairfax so we would like to be able to visit them during the day. I just dont want to pay $1600 for a small house in NoVA when we could probably get land for that outside of the craziness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 09:50 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,951,884 times
How long are you willing to spend in the car to get to DC or Fairfax?

Old 04-16-2010, 09:59 AM

11 posts, read 17,157 times
we can do about an hour maybe an hour and a half or so. MAYBE two

Old 04-16-2010, 12:41 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,183,151 times
How small are you looking? Northern Virginia sprawls out pretty far.

The Haymarket/Gainesville/Bristow area is a popular affordable option for families.

There may be several communities outside Fredericksburg that would appeal to you.

Winchester has been said to have a Main Street feel to it.

Other areas that might appeal would include Purcellville, Lovettsville as well as Middleburg and Warrenton. You may have to up your budget higher than $1600, however.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:46 PM

Also, you didn't mention if/where you might be working but while all of these areas are doable for a day trip to Fairfax County and DC, they are mostly not recommended for commuting to the preponderance of job centers in those areas. (Haymarket et al as well as Fredericksburg might be doable via the Virginia Railway Express.) There would be little time to enjoy home and family during the week.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:47 PM

989 posts, read 2,857,604 times
It took me 1.5 hours to get home from DC yesterday (to Ashburn-37 miles), leaving at 1:30pm in the afternoon.

1.5 to 2 hours does not get you as far as you think...

Old 04-16-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
It took me 1.5 hours to get home from DC yesterday (to Ashburn-37 miles), leaving at 1:30pm in the afternoon.

1.5 to 2 hours does not get you as far as you think...
That says something right there since Ashburn, while very family-friendly, may not have the small-town atmosphere that I suspect the OP is looking for.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:51 PM

982 posts, read 3,488,771 times
You can find decent townhouses priced much better than NoVA in Warrenton or Bealeton....shouldn't be more than $1300 per month for a three level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blove0404 View Post
anyone know of any good small towns OUTSIDE of the metro area? Needs to be good for a new family but close enough to DC where you can get in and out in with a day trip. all of our family lives in fairfax so we would like to be able to visit them during the day. I just dont want to pay $1600 for a small house in NoVA when we could probably get land for that outside of the craziness

Old 04-17-2010, 03:48 PM

32 posts, read 83,146 times
Yes, where you'll be commuting to is important. You may think you want to be in the Gainesville/Haymarket area, but the commute to DC is a bear on 66. Towns further north, such as Lovettsville have the MARC train to DC...you may even consider crossing the state line into Maryland.

But, maybe the commute is to Dulles/Reston Area...where as Round Hill/Purcellville/Hamilton/Lucketts aren't too bad for that. Be careful of Lucketts, as 15 can get jammed. But with any of those towns, 7 is bad, but there are some back route alternatives. I often go back roads--I'd personally rather deal with a slower, windier road, than a highway packed with irrate drivers and stop and go traffic.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:35 AM

982 posts, read 3,488,771 times
I live in Bristow which is about a 40 minute ride to DC. For $1600, you will not get a small house nor will you get land. You'll get a townhouse, maybe with three levels and a garage. This definitely isn't NC when it comes to pricing. The cost of living is very different here....but then so is the level of income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blove0404 View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia