Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 02:41 PM

123 posts, read 246,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Because they don't care about anybody but themselves....and it goes far beyond driving.

It's ME, ME, ME!!!
And these are the same people who complain the DC area is filled with nothing but ME, ME, ME-types. Funny how that works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 09:47 PM

404 posts, read 1,095,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jag45 View Post
My cousin just got a 5th HOV violation in 4yrs but there is no mention of fine for 5th violation. Does it mean fine for 4th violation applies or is there another rate for 5th violation?

The prepayment statues go only till 4th violation

jag
immediate deportation to Australia, where the other HOV violators have setup a mad max sort of world.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:51 PM

203 posts, read 278,913 times
There are a few things I want to say about this:

1) If the man sat in heavy traffic on I-95 at rush hour the temptation is great to take the risk instead of sitting in heavy traffic. Not to excuse it but I can understand it.

2) if it was on the toll road, its just sheer stupidity.

3) The HOV-2 in the mornings on I-66 is ridiculous and an embarrassment to the area. It is the only east-west highway that goes into the city from the VA suburbs and there is no excuse why it isnt 3-4 lanes in both directions. Ive been to many cities in rush hour and only RDU area has a similar situation which makes rush hour atrocious there. Poor infrastructure planning by VA. I can definitely understand how driving I-66 or toll road or whatever to the I-495 to GW Parkway can wear you down quickly. Even though you may sit on I-66, it is still a more direct route and on the other routes you also can sit in equally worse traffic if not much worse traffic. The HOV-2 restrictions on all I-66 lanes inside the beltway are only known to locals. If you are from out of town there is a good chance you might not know that it is all lanes that are restricted. I can definitely understand taking a risk on the I-66 morning HOV nonsense because of how ludicrous it is in the first place. HOV2 is an excuse by local leaders to not find a way to widen I-66.

Look at Route 28. That road is a piece of cake even in rush hour. Most roads in NOVA and DC area should have done what 28 did years ago. Im just thankful I dont have to make a daily commute on route 7, 50, 29, Georgetown and Rockville pikes, Chain Bridge road, Reston Parkway and other major roads that are woefully inadequate. I also cant believe there isnt more of an uproar about the scandal that is the greenway. Traffic would ease up greatly on 7, farmwell/waxpool, and 28 if the greenway cost much less. That Aussie firm has a nice little scam going on the greenway.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:43 PM

404 posts, read 1,095,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs1987 View Post
3) The HOV-2 in the mornings on I-66 is ridiculous and an embarrassment to the area. It is the only east-west highway that goes into the city from the VA suburbs and there is no excuse why it isnt 3-4 lanes in both directions.
Arlington has prevented 66 from expanding beyond it's current design. Arlington county simply will not allow expansion (and even sort of cemented that idea by building that building across 66 which would require demolition if they ever did agree to expand).

For as cool as arlington is, they really behaved poorly by limiting 66. In an ideal situation, 66 would start at 2 lanes in Winchester, and gradually widen to 8 lanes by the time it got to DC. Unfortunately, we have the exact opposite, it starts at 6 lanes at Gainsville (finally) and funnels down to 2 by the time it gets to the bridge.

At least the design has kept Arlington county real estate prices amongst the highest in the nation (world maybe?) because of the perceived convenience.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:20 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,411,818 times
Georgetown Pike will be difficult to change, since parts of the original roadbed exist that were surveyed by George Washington. There's strong citizen opposition to this in Great Falls and McLean.

The reason that I-66 is HOV only inside the Beltway is that was a condition of the compromise with Arlington residents when the road was finally constructed. Arlington did not want I-66 and there was much political wrangling, from what I have learned from people who lived in the area, in the 1960s and 1970s, over the road, and vocal opposition to constructing the original plan. The compromise was that it was to be a two lane highway, with no truck traffic inside the Beltway, and that it be HOV during specified hours and directions inside the Beltway.

DC went on a massive anti-highway campaign in the 1970s, too, failing to join I-395 to I-95, and negating plans to join the Whitehurst Freeway via a new bridge to Spout Run Parkway, what was supposed to be a spur of a larger I-66. So, the legacy of the anti-highway constituencies has caused the bottlenecks that one faces closer-in.

There was opposition to Route 28, just as there was to the Toll Road, but nothing like the issues in the past, since the reality was plain that something had to be done to fix the old 28 with at grade intersections controlled by traffic lights, since it was a nightmare to navigate at many hours. Route 7 will likely be expanded to three lanes from Tysons Corner, but that's it. I would not count on any expansion in Falls Church, since I think that would be an epic battle, not unlike the way the I-66 situation was described to me.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-18-2010, 09:04 AM

461 posts, read 910,062 times
Going out 66 on Friday, I saw a half dozen police cars lined up to nab HOV violators, and three with violators pulled over. Cops must love these guys. Nice of the violators to help with the budget shortfall.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:53 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,265,891 times
Life in prison?

Old 04-18-2010, 10:13 AM

982 posts, read 3,488,117 times
My guess is that the fine will be the highest penalty allowable by law. One violation is forgivable....anything over that? Ridiculous. I hope the judge throws the book at your cousin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag45 View Post
My cousin just got a 5th HOV violation in 4yrs but there is no mention of fine for 5th violation. Does it mean fine for 4th violation applies or is there another rate for 5th violation?

The prepayment statues go only till 4th violation

jag

Old 04-18-2010, 10:42 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,326,854 times
Why would someone who gets a 5th violation even care how much the fine is? I can only assume that he can afford it.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:03 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,492,798 times
In the words of Jim Carrey from "Liar, Liar" - "STOP BREAKING THE LAW, Moderator cut: Language!"

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-18-2010 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: Language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia