Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 03:02 PM

32,626 posts, read 77,793,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
RR, take a look at these two. These are just samples of decent homes for sale. Of course they need work but they're great buys for someone who's willing to put in a little sweat equity. I have a neighbor who bought up a run-down Victorian, added an extension and turned the yard into an English garden. It is absolultely beautiful. There have been short sales, foreclosures, and folks who tried to flip houses and ran out of money.

I've actually driven by these two and peeked inside. The second one has a newish kitchen and both have good backyards especially the 2nd one (lots and lots of potential for outdoor spaces). The 2d one is located on National Avenue, the road that "changes" from Rte 7 as you enter the city. You probably walked right by it going to the Festival. Both look better in real life than the photos.

7 North Ave, Winchester, VA, 22601 - MLS #WI7282129 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

368 National Ave, Winchester, VA, 22601 - MLS #WI7287759 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

One concern to look out for is the neighborhood. Aside from www.realtor.com, take a look at www.movoto.com which is another helpful website for the area.
Thanks for the links. Yes, I'm familiar with both of those homes. My DREAM HOME is 1007 Orchard Ave, Winchester, VA, 22601 - MLS #WI7322110 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®. Unfortunately with my luck by the time I'm actually able to afford one of these homes (likely next year) the market's offerings will be much more slim pickings. Winchester is really becoming very popular with the DC crowd because it is everything a city SHOULD be but something comparable isn't available in NoVA because long-range urban planning here was so poor in the 1970s-1990s. That first home at $50,000 seems too good to be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 03:13 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,113,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Thanks for the links. Yes, I'm familiar with both of those homes. My DREAM HOME is 1007 Orchard Ave, Winchester, VA, 22601 - MLS #WI7322110 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®. Unfortunately with my luck by the time I'm actually able to afford one of these homes (likely next year) the market's offerings will be much more slim pickings. Winchester is really becoming very popular with the DC crowd because it is everything a city SHOULD be but something comparable isn't available in NoVA because long-range urban planning here was so poor in the 1970s-1990s. That first home at $50,000 seems too good to be true.
This is a very nice home RR, move-in ready and it has AC (a luxury for those looking at historic homes)! Nevertheless, I'd go ahead and get pre-approved if I were you and just keep your eyes open. Things are always coming on and off the market. I've actually experienced one house (a short sale) that had a contract on it/came off the market, came back on the market, and then my offer was accepted (that I later withdrew b/c I found something better).

Yeah, I suspect that the $50,000 home has something going on with it -- standing water, structural, asbestos issue, or just plain beat-up inside--most likely a handy-man special.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:59 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,113,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Normie, thanks for sharing the photos of the Apple Blossom Festival! Unfortunately, my camera went on the brink so I couldn't take any shots. But I hope your photo tour is the first of many of Winchester that we can share in.

A few thoughts on the Festival. BTW, for those who attended the Festival for the first time, it is called your "First Bloom":

I just moved here (20+ yrs in Sterling, VA) so this was all new to me. I bought a house in the historic district so we walked to everything downtown. My daughter had a few friends from New York City come into town so all vehicles were parked in the driveway (because of limited street parking) for the weekend and we walked everywhere.

Midway Fair: The downtown "Midway" was very tight indeed. Lots of people in such a space but it was obviously geared towards locals and their families/small children. I didn't find the food/drink prices that bad; average I suppose for a fair; I had a $5 funnel cake and a drink and thought it was decent. I thought there was a decent selection though--Polish, Italian, Greek, etc. if people were hungry.

Sidewalks: The sidewalks are not as big as DC or Philly. But it IS a small historic town. Remember that these streets were designed in the mid-1700s and have not been expanded. Also, there has recently been alot of construction and some folks probably noticed that things were newly-finished and some of the landscaping (newly-planted trees) were not finished. It is hard to walk on the sidewalks if you're with a group of friends. In addition, one could encounter groups of rowdy youth and people with large families on the sidewalks during the Festival.

Other activities: The festivities actually start about 2-3 weeks before the actual Apple Blossom Festival. About 2 weeks ago, I went to a fund raiser by the SPCA, something called "Divas & Debaucery". Well, turns out it's the Sherriff, noteworthy businessmen, and other upstanding members of the community dressed in drag (but they are straight men) and they have a contest. There's an open bar, bidding on the best "beauty" and other very adult joking throughout the whole evening. Well, this event dispels any cliches that this town is a sleepy, Bible-toting, backward place to be. I had a great time!

There is a list of activities 1-1.5 weeks before the Festival including many luncheons, a disco dance, a wine festival, apple pie baking contest, a full carnival with rides outside of downtown, Cole Brothers Circus at the mall, another fair at the Park (with a classic car show), Jimmy Buffet-themed concert, a bluegrass concert, etc. Seems like too much but the organizers definietly made sure there's something for everyone!

Parade: Actually I missed the big parade on Saturday. I was too busy dealing with the heat and cooking brunch for guests. However,we did go to the Fireman's Parade on Friday. I was pretty impressed with who was in the parade: trucks (antique and contemporary, equipment, helicopters, etc.), the marching bands, military veterans, etc. as the firefighters, bands, and vets were not only from nearby towns but throughout the Shenandoah Valley, West Virginia, MD, and Pennsylvania. There must have been nearly 50 vehicles.

People: This town has a peculiar mix of people (IMO for someone who's new and noticing this). There's the intermingling of the "haves" and the "have-nots" here. IOW, on a typically day at the walking mall, you'll see a range of people in age, gender, occupation, ethnicity intermingling as well as the well-to-do with low-income folks. This, IMO, would take some getting used to for those accustomed to neighborhoods with folks in the same socio-economic groups.

What You Didn't See: The after-parties. Anyone who went to Picadilly's, Union Jacks, Brewbakers, or any of the pubs downtown will know what I am talking about. Lots of 20- and 30-somethings partying hard down there. My daughter and her friends from NYC ran into all kinds of folks, including plenty of young Washingtonians and NoVAns. A co-worker had their son in town for the weekend with college friends in tow who never stopped dancing and laughing throughout the whole weekend. Again, anyone who thinks that there's no social life here just needs to spend some time with friends here . . . And there were plenty of parties and BBQs in other parts of town and in people's homes.

I do believe, however, that people should sample the Festival at least once and see for themselves what it's like. What I do like though, is that the Festival is a huge community-town event that is an entre for the Spring-Summer season. Winters were pretty dead here and this town just came to life with this Festival. I know that there's alot of history and tradition with this Festival, but I compare it to other small towns and villages that I have visited overseas that introduce Spring in such a celebratory fashion.
Awesome informative post, SJ Styx. My sister-in-law's family lives in Winchester, but we've never made it out there for the festival or the events leading up to it. Maybe next year - any town that could produce a Patsy Cline will always have a soft spot in my heart!

Old 05-03-2010, 08:34 PM

8,993 posts, read 21,220,810 times
This topic is about Winchester and the member pictures that were taken. Staying on-topic will maximize the life of this thread.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:44 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,969,033 times
Let's take the subject back to Winchester. I spent 3 years there at Winchester Memorial Hospital for nurse's training (starting in 1958, so this is ancient history and I am a geezer). The town was very warm and welcoming even though I was from West Virginia and they still hadn't forgiven us for seceding from Virginia.

Apple Blossom was a 3 day party with young men showing up at the dorm and trying to talk our housemother into introducing them to some of the student nurses. Curfew was lifted for Apple Blossom and we were warned not to be seen drinking in public. Of course, we all drove to WVA where you could be served 3.2 beer at 18. There were many open parties at private homes, you were welcome and it was assumed you knew how to behave yourself.

A historical note (remember the times): Winchester was the first time I saw a separate waiting room at the bus station that was marked "colored waiting room". Although now famous, Patsy Cline did not have a good reputation at the time and no one in Winchester boasted about her like they do now.

My husband is a native of Winchester, we used to visit his parents frequently. They lived on S. Stewart near the old hospital, but are gone now. Anyway, I have fond memories of Winchester, it is a great town.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:56 PM

9,782 posts, read 15,837,252 times
Very nice story, Margery. Thanks for sharing. I love hearing about "the old days."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
Let's take the subject back to Winchester. I spent 3 years there at Winchester Memorial Hospital for nurse's training (starting in 1958, so this is ancient history and I am a geezer). The town was very warm and welcoming even though I was from West Virginia and they still hadn't forgiven us for seceding from Virginia.

Apple Blossom was a 3 day party with young men showing up at the dorm and trying to talk our housemother into introducing them to some of the student nurses. Curfew was lifted for Apple Blossom and we were warned not to be seen drinking in public. Of course, we all drove to WVA where you could be served 3.2 beer at 18. There were many open parties at private homes, you were welcome and it was assumed you knew how to behave yourself.

A historical note (remember the times): Winchester was the first time I saw a separate waiting room at the bus station that was marked "colored waiting room". Although now famous, Patsy Cline did not have a good reputation at the time and no one in Winchester boasted about her like they do now.

My husband is a native of Winchester, we used to visit his parents frequently. They lived on S. Stewart near the old hospital, but are gone now. Anyway, I have fond memories of Winchester, it is a great town.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:18 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,966,028 times
Quote:

Loved your post!

Women were not welcomed in country music. Country music singers were a rough lot. They were usually from the lower classes, poor girls from the wrong side of the tracks, trying to make some money doing what they knew how to do. Plus, they played in bars and no self respecting women went into bars! I know Patsy was born on Short Hill mountain to a poor family with a mother who was only 16. Her father later deserted the family. As a teenager Patsy had to work at a variety of jobs to help support the family. I know too that she played in dumpy bars (were there any other kind back then?) from Winchester to Brunswick.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your story Margery! It's great to hear about Apple Blossom and other events during a very differrent time period.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:15 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,321,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Well, maybe Winchester is far enough away from the "D.C. Area" where this won't be a problem, but once upon a time Reston was like this. Once upon a time Leesburg was, etc... I wonder if it'll work the way it always seems to work where the "D.C. crowd" moves out to Winchester in droves and then, for some odd reason, the FIRST THING they want to do is make it more like NoVA ...

Old 05-06-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
... I wonder if it'll work the way it always seems to work where the "D.C. crowd" moves out to Winchester in droves and then, for some odd reason, the FIRST THING they want to do is make it more like NoVA ...
Gawd, I hope this doesn't happen! I moved out here to get away from NoVA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia