Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 01:52 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times

Advertisements

Last Monday I stopped at Springfield Mall to return an item at Macy's. Ever since that woman was carjacked there 2 years ago, I think everyone is a bit suspect of the place. I parked in the garage and there also was a LOT of security and I felt safe.

I'm starting to think maybe I'm just one of those people that doesn't worry enough about personal safety outdoors unless the place is so bad it can't be ignored. But I do work in Southeast DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 04:54 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,245,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Last Monday I stopped at Springfield Mall to return an item at Macy's. Ever since that woman was carjacked there 2 years ago, I think everyone is a bit suspect of the place. I parked in the garage and there also was a LOT of security and I felt safe.

I'm starting to think maybe I'm just one of those people that doesn't worry enough about personal safety outdoors unless the place is so bad it can't be ignored. But I do work in Southeast DC.
Yeah that was right after I had moved up here. My mom came up to visit like that August. I was working so during the day she kept herself occupied by shopping of course. She loved Springfield Mall so it was funny to hear so many bad things about it after my mom the mall authority had given it her stamp of approval. She was all Springfield Mall and Potomac Mills. Now I have to take her to Pentagon City she won't be satisfied until she's seen every mall in the DC area haha. Oh yeah happy mother's day to all the baby mamas out there.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:58 PM

97 posts, read 321,275 times
Something in your tone struck me as being off. Do you always have to give your approval before your wife/mother goes to shopping mall without you? A young daughter I understand, but your wife is an adult and can decide for herself.

That said, I love Potomac Mills Mall. Huge, great selection of stores, and great deals to be had there. I go there all the time.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:05 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntmonkey View Post
Something in your tone struck me as being off. Do you always have to give your approval before your wife/mother goes to shopping mall without you? A young daughter I understand, but your wife is an adult and can decide for herself.

That said, I love Potomac Mills Mall. Huge, great selection of stores, and great deals to be had there. I go there all the time.
As a retired police officer I never hesitated to ask my wife not to visit certain establishments if I knew there were problems there. For instance. I asked her and my kids to NOT use the 7-11 on Coverstone Drive in Manassas. I went to more calls and had more problems at this 7-11 than any others in Manassas. I would not allow my kids to hang/visit/shop at the Manassas Mall on weekend nights when they were younger. I see no problem with the OP's question.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:16 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaMomatHome View Post
I had a crazy man pull up to me in broad day light in the parking lot (there were 3 other people in the car and he was trying to get me to follow him somewhere so he could fix the dent in my car. That is not the only time something liked that happened to me.
I had the same thing happen when I had to run to Potomac Mills to go to Costco with a friend, since the Costco in Arlington didn't have what they needed. The mobile auto body repair guy, in a non-descript car no less, wanted to repair the scuffed bumper on the car I was driving. He didn't quite understand that it was a service loaner, despite the huge decal in the back window, and was going to fix it for a cheap price And, since it was delivered with the damage, I wasn't going to pay to fix something that was not my responsibility.

Interestingly, I have never had the electronics solicitors approach me at Potomac Mills, yet have had that happen at other shopping centers. I wonder if the security keeps the unmarked white vans with "surplus" inventory from a "job" from soliciting in the parking lot. That scam gets old, though I think it has moved to CraigsList for the most part, so they may not be exclusively mobile any longer. Then again, mobile is harder for them to get caught, since one might remember a physical address, but might not have pertinent details on the white van. The scammers tend to target men for the electronics scam, too.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-10-2010, 12:21 PM

22 posts, read 48,898 times
Potomac mills mall is safe. Park by the TJ MAX and Osh Kosh. There are some motorized airplane and car rides for toddlers and tables for adults at that entrance. They also hold the Easter bunny and Santa Claus there.During the day, the guards ride around on the segways there are moms and toddlers everywhere.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:32 PM

389 posts, read 1,230,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micknmay View Post
the guards ride around on the segways .
my kids LOVE the segways

Old 05-10-2010, 06:37 PM

131 posts, read 426,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnjiSmith View Post
a place where bad things happen? Or would you be fine with your wife/daughter/sister/mother going there alone, or with a small toddler in tow?
I think the mall has been improving the past few years, bringing new stores in and more people it seems. Five or so years ago, the place was getting a bit dumpy, weekend nights it would be pretty empty and I wouldn't say unsafe but maybe not so pleasant. I think it's better now.

Quote:
I had the same thing happen when I had to run to Potomac Mills to go to Costco with a friend, since the Costco in Arlington didn't have what they needed. The mobile auto body repair guy, in a non-descript car no less, wanted to repair the scuffed bumper on the car I was driving. He didn't quite understand that it was a service loaner, despite the huge decal in the back window, and was going to fix it for a cheap price And, since it was delivered with the damage, I wasn't going to pay to fix something that was not my responsibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaMomatHome
I had a crazy man pull up to me in broad day light in the parking lot (there were 3 other people in the car and he was trying to get me to follow him somewhere so he could fix the dent in my car. That is not the only time something liked that happened to me.

I think
this is a common hustle these days. I had this happen to mean in the tysons/mclean area. The guy was pretty much one of the biggest ass I've ever had to deal with in my life.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:26 PM

35 posts, read 116,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntmonkey View Post
I *am* the wife.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:22 PM

97 posts, read 321,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnjiSmith View Post
I *am* the wife.
Thanks for clarifying. That makes much more sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia