Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 01:09 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,619,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsEvie64 View Post
Is there a website for the HOA I can look at? I'm trying to figure out what all is included in the fee. Are there any other amenities outside of the pools and the trails? Tennis courts? Basketball courts? Rec center? Playgrounds?
http://www.meadowsatmorrisfarm.com/

The website for the HOA is only accessible by residents, but you can join Meadows At Morris Farm on Facebook in the meantime. ]

HOA fee covers maintenance/upkeep of neighborhood, plants, cutting common area grass, maintaining pool house etc, snow removal, trash & recycling, cable, internet (the typical HOA stuff).

Tennis courts - no
Basketball courts - no
Rec center - no
Playgrounds - yes two
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,547 times
The craftmanship on houses here is poor quality. Every thing is rushed to get it done. Not to mention the items and shortcuts were left to purchase and deal with. Most home owners are unaware of all the work that was not done right or inspected. I really disapointed in the lack of supervision over ther work. Not to mention the illegals doing the work, plus all the job site
thefts.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:56 AM

17 posts, read 41,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmesseme View Post
The craftmanship on houses here is poor quality. Every thing is rushed to get it done. Not to mention the items and shortcuts were left to purchase and deal with. Most home owners are unaware of all the work that was not done right or inspected. I really disapointed in the lack of supervision over ther work. Not to mention the illegals doing the work, plus all the job site
thefts.
What builder are you speaking of?

I am building a CraftMark home and I cant tell you how impressed I'm with the quality of the craftsmanship, and attention to detail I have witnessed by the construction crews on my home site. This will be the 4th home I have had built in the DC area and I can tell you I have seen bad craftsmanship and construction before and CraftMark is nothing but quality. I am onsite checking on the build several times a week and speak with the foreman/supervisor almost daily, you could say I'm overly involved in construction process...the builder welcomes it and actively communicates with me about the process.

I will have to ask the laborers when I'm onsite later if they are illegals....

Old 05-22-2010, 08:32 PM

11 posts, read 28,556 times
I always recommend that my clients look in all the Morris and Glenkirk areas because it has the BEST elementary schools!

Old 05-23-2010, 01:18 PM

29 posts, read 71,253 times
My youngest is at Glenkirk, so I can answer some of the questions about the school. Glenkirk is currently the most overcrowded elementary school in Prince William County. The capacity is 850, and there are currently over 1,200 students there. The trailers have been a big help (they are new this year) in that some of the "specials" teachers now have their classrooms back. I believe there are currently nine trailers, and they'll be adding four more next year.

In spite of the overcrowding issues, we are VERY happy with the school. Great teachers!

There are a couple of new schools that are set to open in the next couple of years, so this will help with the overcrowding.

Prince William County won't (or hasn't yet) sent students "out of their district." When the new schools are built, they will redraw the zones for each school, and many of the kids currently going to Glenkirk will be moved to another school. This has happened to our neighborhood twice. It has never been a concern to me, since the schools around here are all comparable, and about 1/3 of their classmates will move with them.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:02 AM

6 posts, read 17,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmesseme View Post
thefts.
I know you are not talking about Craftmark!
Gotta be about either Brookfield or Richmond American and from what I can observe from the other end of the street probably Richmond American - understand those houses are 150k or more below the price point of the Craftmark homes....

Our experiences with Craftmark parallel the OP who is currently building - 1st rate on site supervision and they really listen to your concerns and are very patient with you - We watched ours go up very carefully and saw nothing but excellent work - Didnt see any illegals either - lotta rednecks working on them though - Just kidding

Old 06-18-2010, 10:31 AM

3 posts, read 6,004 times
Glenkirk Elementary School is currently 50% over capacity. See article at : Prince William County halts western growth, citing schools - washingtonpost.com . It is one of the most crowded schools in all of PW County. It is, however, a good school. The kiss and ride line winds through Morris Farm and onto Glenkirk Road daily, clogging up traffic. Parents are not allowed to visit their children during lunch and discouraged from stopping by during the day, unless officially volunteering. There are many trailers and more on the way for next year. The new schools being constructed will not relieve this situation much, as Bristow Run is also over capacity by at least 40% and the new schools have their own neighborhoods to service, so they are not just for overflow. The situation is very serious. Other than that, Glenkirk Estates is nice, been here since 2005 and we like it fine. It's quiet and clean. Personally, I prefer Lake Manassas and Va Oaks by far. If I were shopping today, I'd be looking there, and with the market in such disarray you could really pick up a bargain. Buckland Mills (Lake Manassas goes there) is a much larger school design, plus has an excellent principal IMO. That said, I think it is also over capacity. If it's only new homes you are interested in, I believe that NV is still selling a few in Lake Manassas. We have an NV and I would buy another one any day of the week. Brookfield tends to be on the not so great quality IMO. We rented one before we moved here and I have some friends that own them, with not much nice to say. Craftmark is good quality from my experience. I'd stay away from RA Homes. Best regards.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:19 PM

89 posts, read 179,512 times
Thanks for the info NativeGal! It's disappointing about the overcrowding and trailers, but I suppose it's to be expected in an area with as much growth as the Gainesville/Haymarket/Bristow area has experienced in the past few years.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:55 PM

6 posts, read 17,808 times
FWIW they are building a new elementary school on linton hall rd across from the Glenkirk Estates... I believe that will draw off some of the overcrowding currently at Glenkirk Elementary - or at least that is how I understand the plan....

Old 06-21-2010, 06:38 AM

89 posts, read 179,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksch View Post
FWIW they are building a new elementary school on linton hall rd across from the Glenkirk Estates... I believe that will draw off some of the overcrowding currently at Glenkirk Elementary - or at least that is how I understand the plan....
When is that school supposed to open? I grew up in Ashburn during the 'boom' and know quite well that 1 elementary school opening up when all the surrounding schools are already way over capacity will lighten the load, but it won't put them under or even at capacity. If Glenkirk, Buckland Mills (we looked at a house that was districted here and heard great things about that school btw) and Bristow Run are all over capacity by hundreds of students, I imagine building 1 school in that area will just put all 4 schools slightly over capacity instead of way over capacity.

Are there any plans for 5th/6th elementary schools in this area to relieve the massive influx of families moving into the area? I'm surprised at the poor planning of schools for housing, given that PW has had decades to see the overcrowding issues that have happpened with all the new growth in Loudoun. They could've anticipated this MUCH better. Having a school at 50% over capacity with real relief not coming for years is insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia