Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 07:28 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,622,480 times

Advertisements

2 new elementary schools open in Fall of 2011. One on Kettle Run and the other on Linton Hall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 10:38 PM

4 posts, read 5,290 times
Default Haymarket community

Piedmont community also has quite a few young families. You may want to look into that area as well.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:50 PM

3 posts, read 6,007 times
Default Linton Hall School

The new school on Linton Hall is slated to open in fall of 2012. I believe this is also the planned opening of the one off of Vint Hill Road. These schools are only going to be able to take some of the overcrowding at the already over capacity schools. They are also to take some of the new students from the neighborhoods they border, so it's no solution. There is also another elementary through 8th grade school in Nokesville that is scheduled for 2013. PW has a long history of being greedy. When developers show the money they don't ask for anything in return, and then we (tax payers) are left holding the bag. If developers want to sell houses here, then they need to provide more infrastructure. That said, it's still a nice place to live. We moved to Bristow in 2000 and Gainesville in 2005. I was born in DC and grew up in Great Falls. I have since lived in Fairfax, Woodbridge, Burke, Centreville, Manassas, Bristow, and Gainesville. If I had my druthers, I'd live in Great Falls, but that's out of the que$tion, so I'd have to say I like Gainesville (second) best. Hope any of this helps you make a decision.

PS. Swimminmom has a point, because 20169 holds it's value better than 20155. My mom is in 20169 and her house has done better than ours during this downturn. Good chance to pick up a resale on a Craftmark in Piedmont.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:08 AM

The 2 elementary schools (On Linton Hall & one in Nokesville) in question open in FALL 2011

See this article here for more info Gainesville Times

Old 07-05-2010, 12:40 PM

6 posts, read 17,824 times
Opens in 2 years IIRC and it is supposed to be a BIG school enrollmentwise...

Old 07-06-2010, 07:59 AM

89 posts, read 179,682 times
Thanks, NativeGal, for the info. I've been in Ashburn since I was 4 (my parents first house was among the first built in 1988) and would love to buy here, but comparable regular-sale houses are considerably more than in Gainesville, and my continuing to SAH and save a good amount of money as well is a priority for us, so I feel ya on the one...I'm glad to know you like Gainesville coming from Great Falls though, that does help. That's been an issue for me, moving away from an area I absolutely love and been in for 22ish years to go someplace new. Not to mention my parents acting as though I'm taking their grandchildren halfway around the world.

I've heard nothing but good things as far as it being a family-friendly area, so my only concern has been with the school busting at the seams for my 2 older ones. And I drove past Glenkirk Elem and was just suprised with how *small* it looked to be holding that many kids! I did see the trailers though, which I understand there are supposed to be about 12 this coming year? Does anyone know how they do that? Is it older grades out there? 2 classes per grade out there?

Old 07-06-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsEvie64 View Post
And I drove past Glenkirk Elem and was just suprised with how *small* it looked to be holding that many kids! I did see the trailers though, which I understand there are supposed to be about 12 this coming year? Does anyone know how they do that? Is it older grades out there? 2 classes per grade out there?
It's bigger than it looks. The "meat" of the school is in the back. I read an article about them getting more trailers, but it can't possibly be another 12. Maybe 12 total. Yes, it's older kids in the trailers.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:52 AM

3 posts, read 6,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
The 2 elementary schools (On Linton Hall & one in Nokesville) in question open in FALL 2011

See this article here for more info Gainesville Times
Sorry about that, I stand corrected, the one on Linton Hall opens in Fall of 2011 and the new Nokesville elementary school, T. Clay Wood elementary is also scheduled to open Fall of 2011. These two schools were originally slated for 2012.

Mrs. Evie64,

These new schools still will not have much impact on the overcrowding along the LH corridor because there is an expected increase of 3500 students in PW County for the 2010-11 school year, and who knows what 2011-12 will bring. With the Linton hall area already at 40%+ over capacity in at least three schools, I doubt that two new elementary schools will resolve this. Our principal has already warned us that our overcrowding is expected to increase this year, with more classrooms moving into the trailers this fall. At this point it's 4th and 5th grade out there.

There is a K-8 school that is planned for 2014 now, but things can change between now and then.

I see more houses being constructed all the time and I wonder just when PW County will start asking for something in return from the developers.

You may want to consider the asphalt plant when you think about looking on the other side of Linton Hall. For more information, attend the hearing on 7/27 at 7:30 p.m.; Board of County Supervisors Chambers at McCoart; 1 County Complex Court; Prince William, VA 22192

Also if you are against the construction of the plant, let Corey Stewart know. cstewart@pwcgov.org. A chemical engineer I know, who also happens to live in my neighborhood, tells me that she is rather concerned about the emissions from this plant. This plant is very close to several elementary schools. Victory Lakes, and Cedar Point (Braemar).

Plan for asphalt companies meets resistance | InsideNova.com (http://www2.insidenova.com/isn/news/local/bristow/article/plan_for_asphalt_companies_meets_resistance_from_c ommunity/36361/ - broken link)

In our neighborhood, Morris Farms, Glenkirk, etc., there is the new soccer complex to consider.

Plan for Rollins Ford Park in Prince William creates rift - washingtonpost.com

You have to remember that I came from GF when it was still somewhat "the sticks," but I do cherish the memories of growing up in such a safe and beautiful area and with my limited funds, I am satisfied with the childhood Gainesville offers. Our neighborhood is a good one (Glenkirk), I am just saying that if I were shopping today, I'd probably look in Lake Manassas, Virginia Oaks, or in the Haymarket area. Still, of all the places in PW County to live, I'd live in this region. Coming from Ashburn (Loudoun), you might prefer the Haymarket area. The town of Haymarket can be a bit more conservative when it comes to growth. They kept Wal-Mart out. Dominion Valley is lovely and has some nice schools, but the builder is hit or miss. Piedmont has NV, Craftmark, Drees (not bad, not great), and another really good builder whose name escapes me right now, something like Quaker?? There is also still new construction in Piedmont, but I am not sure who's there now. You might want to check with Swimmom. MI Homes has a nicely located neighborhood off of route 29 and 15 that you might want to check out, but I don't know lots about them. I go by there often coming from Wegman's to my mom's house in DV. I don't think they will have the insane HOA fees that Piedmont and DV have. Good luck and let us know how it goes for you!

Last edited by NativeGal; 07-19-2010 at 06:16 AM..

Old 05-26-2011, 12:44 PM

7 posts, read 11,823 times
Default St. Anne's Academy Preschool

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBIGstep View Post
Hi - Live I live in Morris Farm and wanted to respond. We are a young couple also with kids and let's see....I really don't know what the diffrence is either (as Heather commented) about the Estates thing. Maybe its the series of homes...I know on the base map for the developement there are a few series...etc Heritage series so not sure about that. I haven't seen really any difference except that the dev't has the townhomes in one section, cottage and courtyard homes in another and SFH kinda of sectioned off.
The HOA fee does include basic cable...which I have been very happy with. Basic cable is a select group of channels though...like you get Nick but you don't get Nick jr. I thought this was a bit wierd. Anyway you can upgrade and no it doesn't include a landline but your can opt to add one.
I did want to mention about Glenkirk. According to the neighbors the school is busting at the seems....but plans for two new elementary schools in the next couple of years are in the works. The school is too small for all of the developement and I know that the higher grades are in trailers. However saying this if your kids are small they will probably add more schooling by the time they get older. Also too...there is a private school for the younger grades in Haymarket, St Pauls, which is really not far if you visited Glenkirk and opted that it might not be for you. Overcrowding is happening too from what I hear at the next developement over (Bridlewood whose kids go to Bristow Run Elem) also. It appears it may be all over. From what I heard with exception of class sizes which is close to 30 kids (i think 28 maybe) people appear to be happy with the school instruction.
I too was intersted in Glenkirk Estates but at the time it was much more expensive. So we kinda of eliminated them. Two weeks ago I went through the developement and did notice several SFH were really really on top of each other. Not sure if you are looking for a townhouse or SFH but I was really surprised how close the neighbors were in Glenkirk Estates for the price tag. The houses there (Drees Homes) are suppose to be made better....from what I hear as far as craftsmanship. I will say the true SFH (unlike the duplexes with shared garages)in Morris Farm are laid out with more land. The developers pack everyone in but truly from what I have seen it can be worse and you can get less for your money. There are alot of families with kids in the area. Do you plan to stay home?
Hope this helps!
Hi Jennifer, I met you last Fall at St. Paul's School in Haymarket when we were looking at your pre-k 3 program. We are also in Glenkirk and love it Great neighborhood. So, we did not come back to St pauls because we had friends at Lake Manassas. And this year we are enrolling at St. Anne's Academy for Girls, since we can put both our preschooler and our 1st grader and 4th grader there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia