Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 12:29 PM

29 posts, read 151,427 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm trying to figure out if it is allowed under the Fairfax County Fire Code to extend a gas line to a trex deck so that we can use the natural gas on the grill (which we would secure to the deck). We saw it on a design show and it would be great to eliminate the propane tanks. We would have two shutoffs for safety, one at the grill and one at the source. It is a single family home with an attached deck made out of Trex Transcend. The gas pipe would extend straight from the side of the house to the side of the deck which is attached to the back of the house. Anyway I called the fire marshall office today and the lady I was transferred to told me: "Well, I think you can, but I'm not sure." Really, I kid you not. Then she said that for sure I needed a permit to extend the gas line and gave me a phone number for the permits person. I called and the guy tells me "You can't have a grill on a deck, it is illegal". Mmmmm, then all of Fairfax is breaking the law. I read the law and it states that if you live in an appartment/condo, you cannot have a grill on a balcony, but that it is allowed on a townhouse and a SFH. Anyway, can someone provide me with more accurate information...It is sad that the people I talked to are the "experts" on the subject. Who else can I call???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 02:59 PM

380 posts, read 1,062,595 times
How far would it need to be from the stove? Are you cooking with gas now? If your stove is on an outside wall; you could possibly have another outlet at the stove connect and go 6 feet with a flexi-yellow line. Keeping the wheels on the gas grill should make it portable enough. Don't make it sound like you are building a a kitchen our bbq pit on your deck. I would call the gas company. If they can't tell you directly; they have people that will give you free estimates; who wouldn't violate the code, ever. My mom was referred to Shanahan; and I've heard him recommended here, too. I had a natural gas grill on my condo balcony in Mohave County, (rains 5 inches per year), it was built in 1984, and Southwest Gas did inspect it on a turn on service one time. Didn't bat an eye. Can't be too sure about Fairfax. BTW, my last gas stove was a GE, and came with the fittings necessary to use as Nat gas or LPG; the orifices are slightly different. The grills will probably be the same way.

Last edited by smokemaster; 05-20-2010 at 03:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: