Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 03:20 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,102,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeda1920 View Post
Thank you JEB77 for your input. However I am not from NoVA, I actually grew up in Somerset NJ, so trying to understand the communities out here based on the comments I've seen are very questionable. From what I experienced growing up in Central NJ, I was in a very diverse school and feel that the administration is what made the school. I had great relationships with the principals, teachers and coaches. They knew your name and challenged you to do your best. I don't feel like I was shorted a quality education, even though recent scores on those schools present a different picture but it's the primary reason why I don't solely go by "test scores" alone.

I do know the school zoned for the property I'm looking at is Belvedere and my daughter is starting 5th grade. I hear more about the ethic makeup of the school than I do about the curriculum which is why I made the comment earlier. From greatschools.org the comments are fair but the more unfavorable ones are 4-5 years old and from what I understand the community has changed a lot.

Do you have any insight on traffic on Columbia Pike. It seems to take less time to drive in than metro but after my experience with 66, I know that 30 min avg distance from DC can still translate into a 1hr 15min commute.
With respect to Belvedere, the school got a new principal a year or two ago, so some of the GreatSchools comments about the principal may no longer be applicable (and, in any event, the comments left on GreatSchools can be fairly random, depending on who has had a sufficiently good or bad experience with a school to want to post).

I have read that the school is seeking to participate in the IB "Primary Years Program" designation (Glasgow MS already has the IB "Middle Years Program" and Stuart HS already offers the IB diploma). Don't know where that stands.

The size of the schools in the section of Falls Church you are considering seem to be similar to the schools in the Franklin Township area of New Jersey that includes Somerset. You are correct that many posts on local blogs will focus on school demographics. In the case of the Bailey's Crossroads area, what you'll hear is that it's very diverse, and that the schools have a lot of Hispanic students. I don't have any recent experience with these schools and don't recall anyone with such experience posting here - sorry. I think what probably is safe to say is that the people who send their kids to these schools know they are very diverse and presumably "buy into" the diversity, which can make for a welcoming community. The demographics in this area really haven't changed that much over the past 10 years or so.

In terms of commuting, I still think Columbia Pike is a relatively easy commute to DC. There are probably a few bottlenecks near Columbia and Carlyn Springs, and then as you get to the intersections with Washington Boulevard and Route 395. But, in general, none of the roads in Arlington - other than the stretches of 395 and 66 through Arlington - is bad, compared to some of the roads in western Fairfax or some of the other stretches of 66.

Leighland's observations about the feel of Bailey's Crossroads itself captured how I think a lot of people perceive the area today - busy, rather transient, and not particularly friendly (lots of people speaking different languages and keeping largely to themselves). On the other hand, if you're looking at a residential neighborhood off Columbia Pike, your experience within that neighborhood might be different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 06:35 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,756,840 times
some feedback from my two months of basically looking at every apartment from Rockville, Reston, Clarendon/Ballston/VA Square, Cleveland Park, Dupont, Adams Morgan, Pentagon City, SW Water Front, Downtown dc, Alexandria near Kings St, and Bailey's Crossroad.

Bailey's Crossroad is basically 10 minutes from anywhere worth going, including Downtown DC.

There are TONS of restaurants there, and they're very unique, and they're owned by the people from where that food is from. There are tons of shopping places, and grocery stores.

Sure the area is diverse, but honestly, I'd rather live among some of these people, who I know are honest and hard working.

As far as how much you get for your money, within 10 miles of DC of anywhere, you'll find that you'll get more space for your money than any other places. Also, you have the view of DC at these locations (higher up in buildings).

It's easy access to the highways, and price of VA is a lot cheaper than MD or DC (minus the property tax but compare to DC and MD, 5% alcohol tax, $3 less in cigarettes, and food is cheaper by about 3% PLUS the meat and the veggies are a lot fresher), so what to not like? Do you honestly walk around at midnight where you live now?

BTW, don't leave your Smart Phone or anything that people want to take in your car, no matter where you are, unless it's inside your garage door. That applies to anywhere you live (according to the crime map).

Sure, there are few bad apples, but where in DMV that doesn't have these people? My parents lived in a very, very, very safe area and they got broken into. My house got broken into while there were 6 people in there! And it's in a gated community that's very, very, very safe.

So, it's up to everyone. Pay $2300 a month for a 500 sq ft apartment with wood floors that you can hear your neighbors 24/7 walking to the bathroom, or live somewhere that doesn't have all the bells and whistles (like walkable metro or "safe" neighborhood) or be smart and move somewhere you can find 800+sq ft for something you can find 30 miles away from DC in MD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: