Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2006, 04:37 PM

5 posts, read 25,695 times

Advertisements

Looking for any guidance in relocating to NW Indiana. If anyone has kids in elementary schools in the Hobart, Merrillville, Schereville, Munster areas we would like to hear your input on schools.

Also any likes/dislikes of one area over the other would be appreciated. We are just starting our process of trying to find a friendly community to get settled and begin our family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2006, 11:09 PM

3 posts, read 18,550 times
Default Northwest, IN schools

In particular, I would need to know what your concerns were to really answer your question thoroughly. I know all these places. Hobart can really have a small town atmosphere if that is what you are looking for. Pretty safe community, good schools. Munster and Highland are suburbs of Hammond which has a high percentage of ethnic and disadvantaged people, so they are much nicer than Hammond, but not immune to its problems like gangs and drugs. But I guess that is pretty much everywhere nowadays. Merrillville is a huge hub, high traffic, but it has grown from being a suburb of Gary to this enormous city. There is everything there anyone could possible want. Whether you have the income to live upscale or more moderately makes a huge difference there. The schools are good. Large ethnic population. The community that is really beautiful around that area is Crown Point. The nice thing though is that there are all kinds of small towns around the area that are lovely to live in. In general, the whole area is very nice, except for downtown Gary. Even the people that live there don't want to live there for the most part. East Chicago, Whiting, Black Oak have a lot of crime. Indiana is a good place to live. I moved from Portage which is a pretty upscale community to Knox which is a very small town. Significantly less ethnic population here. I moved to get my kids out of the schools there. Too many kids, not enough supervision in the world for some of these high schools. We dont' have a gang problem here, but we do have a significant drug problem here. I don't know where you are going to work, but the most beautiful community, and the safest is Valparaiso. It is east of Merrillville about 15 miles or so It is a beautiful town and has a variety of options for whatever income a person has. There are plenty of mid-range properties and some very expensive properties. Part of it has that small town feel, but it has some of the best shopping next to Merrillville. Their schools are award-winning, and there is skiing, camping, and it is the home of Orville Redenbacher popcorn and the popcorn fest every year. Chesterton, north of Valparaiso about 10 miles is similarly nice. These are low crime areas too. Well I hope this helped some. Have a great move!

Linda G.

Old 08-14-2006, 05:35 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
Great post Linda G.

I used to live in Valpo ... very nice. But if we had to move back, we'd also take a good look at Crown Point.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 7,591 times
Highland is a great town... It borders munster but it really close to state line, all of the major shopping is right in the center of highland. and the schools are great around here a few family friends of mine have children in the school districts and they love it. My son is only one but i know i will be staying around for a while. the appreciation on houses is going very well at the time also. i have lived in or around this area since i was born and so far this is the best area i have found. best overall that is. if your looking for the best school munster is it most diversified without being dangerous merrillville is it but highland has the best housing prices better schools than most other cities in area and was even ranked number 1 place to live by the major newspapers in the area chicago sun times etc...

Old 12-13-2010, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 5,214 times
We just moved to Valpo and although we don't have kids the people we meet with school age kids often say those choose Valparaiso for the school system.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:14 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieCarmargo View Post
We just moved to Valpo and although we don't have kids the people we meet with school age kids often say those choose Valparaiso for the school system.
Welcome to Valpo, Ellie!

Runnings, I've lived in Valpo since 1987 - love it! Beautiful, thriving downtown, good schools and parks department, great restaurants and shopping, entertainment, low crime rate, even daily bus service to Chicago. Really a great community in which to raise a family.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 4,970 times
I am looking into moving to NWI in April of 2011 from SLC, Utah, I am searching online for an apartment for myself and my family (5) total..we are starting out anew, and looking for a nice area to raise our children, work, and go to school. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am not familiar with the area, althouh my husbands business is located in Merriville/Schereville area, I will also consider Valparaiso...In my searches I am only finding apartment communities, is that all there is in these areas, and if not any way to search online without pulling up these communities?? any suggestions wiould be sooooooooo appreciated

Old 01-16-2011, 02:09 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
not to pry, but are you LDS? I have friends who moved to Hobart and they had to drive to Griffith for church ... Valpo has it's own ward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana