Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 12:15 PM

11 posts, read 31,256 times

Advertisements

Hello

We may be making a big move (from the East Coast to NW Indiana) sometime this summer. My husband is interviewing for a job near Michigan City. I have a child that has High Functioning Autism. He currently goes to a public school and is in an integrated classroom and has his own para. If we make this move, I want to make sure that we move to a great city/town that offers great Special Education services. We are thinking of the Chesterton/Valpo area. I have heard that Munster has excellent services, but I was hoping not to live an hour away from my husbands work. Any advice/suggestions? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 01:56 PM

29 posts, read 33,329 times
Indiana in general has a good education system for special ed.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:51 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,548 times
unfortunately there aren't too many school systems in Indiana that really cater to the needs an Autistic child esp. compared to states like Florida. I suggest you call several school districts in the area and specifically ask about autistic children.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:59 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
I would start with the Valparaiso school system. They have a good reputation.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:06 PM

4 posts, read 11,565 times
With a job near MC, Chesterton and Valpo would be great places to live. Chesterton is closest to MC, easy access to the highway and a clear shot to MC with no traffic. Valpo is a little bit further away, but is also bigger and has more stores/restaurants/etc. Both schools systems are great, with Valpo probably having a slight edge.

As for your child, I'm sure you will find great resources in both Chesterton and Valpo. Chesterton schools cater specially to kids with all types of disabilities. Each elementary school is assigned a different group of students to cater to, so I would recommend calling them to find more information. Duneland School Corporation -*Chesterton, Indiana

In Valpo, Opportunity Enterprises is an outstanding organization that helps all challenged individuals. It would be a place for your child to interact with other autistic kids and give him/her a place to grow. Opportunity Enterprises : Servicing People With All Types of Disabilities : Northwest Indiana

You'll love it in NW Indiana. You'll be less than 20 minutes from the beautiful national lakeshore along Lake Michigan and less than an hour from arguably the greatest city in the country in Chicago. Tons of great spots along Lake Michigan within hours as you go up in to Michigan as well.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:15 PM

4 posts, read 11,565 times
Just followed up, Yost Elementary is where autistic kids go in Chesterton. Welcome to*Yost*Elementary School*- Duneland*School*Corporation (http://www.duneland.k12.in.us/yo/ - broken link)

Knowing people who work at the school I can vouch for them and tell you it's a great school. Not sure if your child is elementary aged, but if he/she is then this information should be helpful.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:39 AM

Thanks everyone! My child will be going into Elementary School. Thanks IndyNewbie for the replies/links. I will be checking them out.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:43 PM

801 posts, read 2,565,130 times
Call first, then meet in person with the special education director and principal, visit the classrooms and spend an hour observing if you can. I have seen/heard about good and bad experiences across the midwestern states where I have lived (I subbed in schools for three years.)

The best autism program I have run across was a collaborative in SE Michigan: dedicated classroom for elementary schoolers and one for middle schoolers, with trained staff and plenty of aides; great support from their administrators; they were mainly self-contained but had some opportunities for mainstreaming when it was most appropriate.

On the other side of the spectrum, I've seen an Ohio school "said to have been" a great program -- but when I was there firsthand, I witnessed aides getting upset with students over common behaviors, and using strong physical force to restrain students.

As far as NWI, I've heard of some parents who had to threaten legal action to force schools to act in accordance with accommodations. In other schools I understand school staff have been most welcoming and willing to do anything on behalf of a child.

What I am saying is — it varies widely. Be sure you know what kind of experience your child will be having every day. Be sure you have commitment to meet your needs from the school before you enroll. If the school with the best program and care happens to be an hour from the workplace, to me it would be worth it to have that inconvenience — much more than having to worry.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:48 PM

Thank you Summer22. We decided to decline the offer and not move to NW Indiana at this time. Thanks for your advice- No matter where we move/if we move, I am sure there will be areas with good autistic programs as well as so-so....I will be sure to meet with directors/principals/teacher and observe.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,750 times
My son goes to eagle park special ed school in crown point. He just started there this year. He is 13 and in 7th grade. I picked him up from school yesterday and he had a large bandage on his forearm. The teacher said he scratched himself. My son does not self mutilate. I was told he was with the aid and he scratched his forearm. He has 4 large scratches where you can see somebody scratched his arm while they were trying to grab him. The school is sticking to there story. What do I do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana