Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 01:53 PM

18 posts, read 51,883 times

Advertisements

Thank god for this site. I work for an engineering firm that will be transfering me up the Whiting to work at the BP plant. Other then a brief three day stay about a year ago i know absolutely nothing about the area. I will be needing a place to stay as close as possible to the plant but without being in a high crime bad neighborhood. Can anyone point me in the direction of some websites that might have some info on apartments or garage apartments in the area. As far as looking goes, what areas should i stay away from and what areas are okay?
Also and i know this is really putting it out there but if anyone happens to see of a garage apartment or something like that could i bother that person to send me the number. It would be greatly appreciated as i have no way to check listing that aren't on the net. Thanks again for your time I'm looking forward to bringing some Texas hospitality up north.!!

Adam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 02:54 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,133,910 times
Howdy!

Fellow long-time (naturalized)Texan, now living in IN.

Just saw "Texan" and wanted to welcome you.

Unfortunately..I live in the Southern part of the state and can't help you with your housing needs.

I can pass along these tips:

If you are coming during the winter months (Nov-March, possibly April) bring your down coat. If you do not have a down coat, buy one.

Mittens are warmer than gloves.

Shiner is not too readily available.
Try Three Floyds and Bells.

Good luck!

Old 12-15-2008, 03:07 PM

I'll be coming up the first part of January and thanks for the welcome. That is another question entirely. What clothes do i need. Down jacket, okay but any particular features i need to be looking for in a heavy down jacket??? also on the mittens which ones are the warmest and what about shoes??? I will be driving my Honda ridgeline on up there so what about getting it ready for the winter climate anything in particular i should do to get it ready?

Old 12-15-2008, 03:32 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,399,388 times
You might want to check the Hammond Times online edition for apartments. Craigslist might be another source. Years ago my parents had an apartment above their Whiting business. Vacancies were filled by word of mouth or a sign in the window. Something tells me this probably hasn't changed much in Whiting.

Whiting itself is fairly safe. I think the part of Hammond called Robertsdale is still fairly safe. Parts of East Chicago are not too far from the plant, but stay away from that area generally.

Regarding the car readiness: make sure you have winter grade oil in it; good wiper blades, and window washer fluid made for cold weather (it doesn't freeze and will say so on the bottle), and an ice scraper/snow brush will be essential. I also learned as a teen to keep a lighter or matches with me at all times in the winter. It can be used for frozen locks or even to thaw out the window wash sprayer. (Nothing worse than the sprayer freezing over and a window full of dirty, slushy snow.) A can of Lock de-icer in your pocket might be a good alternative or addition.

As for shoes--waterproof with warm socks for snowy days. Most days regular shoes will be fine with warm socks depending upon how far you need to walk. In a coat look for one that will be warm when the temps reach the teens and lower, but not too hot when it's in the 20's. A water resistant exterior is good. Wind can whip off the lake in Whiting which makes it seem colder. Mittens/gloves--again water resistant is important--any brand that has some lining will be fine.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:38 PM

Thanks alot for the Info. Your Parents wouldn't happen to still be in that area would they? I could sure use an inside person that might have a line on a little garage apartment. A buddy of mine found a garage apartment furnished for 500 a month. Needless to say i was beside myself.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:14 PM

Sorry juicegoose. They sold the business years ago and are no longer in the area. Have you thought about a motel for a week or two while you find something?

There are a couple of other people here that may have an inside track. I'm sure they'll see this soon.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:21 PM

17,765 posts, read 39,798,016 times
Think fleece, Thinsulate & layers, lots and lots of layers. When I lived up there, I'd wear a t-shirt, a turtleneck, a sweatshirt and my down LLBean coat ... on the worst days. But most of the time, my LLBean jacket did me nicely.

Yes, check the Hammond Times for rentals, HR at BP may have some pointers too. Make sure you check out Whiting Park to see frozen waves, it's the freakiest thing you'll ever see!

Arnie's hot dogs are great, hope it's still there, Aurelio's pizza muy bueno! Maybe you'll be there during the summer for Whiting's very own Perogi Fest ... it's a hoot!

Old 12-16-2008, 05:29 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I plan on driving up through the second weekend in January and staying in a hotel for a week like some had recommended. I would love to not get into a lease but realize that probably won't happen. As of right now the plans are for at least 6 months so i should be there during some of the summer months. Any good lines on pizza joints who's the best chicago syle?? Last time i was up there i had Eduardo's which is in hammond i think and it was amazing.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:46 AM

17,765 posts, read 39,798,016 times
Edwardo's is great, Aurelio's is fantastic.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:31 AM

Try some of the local places. Edwardo's is a chain I think. Aurelio's is also, but it originated in the Chicago area. Many local places don't specialize in the deep dish crust that is often thought of as Chicago style pizza. Most will offer it though. Instead you will get a crispy thin crust style that is excellent. One very good spot is House of Pizza in Hammond. Enough pizza talk--it's lunch time here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana