Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2011, 09:13 PM

10 posts, read 52,145 times

Advertisements

I might be relocating to the area for a job in Gary and looking at living options. Are there any places in NW Indiana where a single young professional can live with an easy commute to work and have a decent social scene with other young pro's without living in Chicago?

If not, where are some "compromise" places to live in the city that wouldn't be too bad of a commute to Gary (i.e. not the North Side) and at the same time offer a good scene of other young pro's? I really appreciate any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 10:03 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,515,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarenceweatherspoon View Post
I might be relocating to the area for a job in Gary and looking at living options. Are there any places in NW Indiana where a single young professional can live with an easy commute to work and have a decent social scene with other young pro's without living in Chicago?

If not, where are some "compromise" places to live in the city that wouldn't be too bad of a commute to Gary (i.e. not the North Side) and at the same time offer a good scene of other young pro's? I really appreciate any suggestions!

People say Gary is Detroit.
some parts are some parts aren't
However the nice parts of gary that are in the city you would want to live in Include Miller Beach.
Very very nice neighborhood and contray to national badmouthing of Gary its actually a very rich area.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:14 AM

811 posts, read 2,338,164 times
Quote:

I would recommend Schererville, Crown Point, or Valparaiso. All have several young familes and professionals and also have a decent nightlife. You're not going to find any suburb in NWI that has the nightlife of Chicago, but relative to the rest of the towns in NWI, I think these 3 would be your best fit.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:37 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,493,927 times
In NWI, I would say the top place for young professionals (with no kids) is Schererville or Crown Point. Since you would be working in Gary, getting there from Crown Point should be no problem (ALMOST a straight shot north depending on where in each area). CP has newer townhome/condo communities that attract young professionals with or without families. If you are looking to buy, check out Hamilton Square (east CP) or New Town West (downtown CP).

Schererville (and Dyer) have some townhome/condo communities as well but they are typically more costly and they may be older than in other areas (there are a couple new ones, but not nearly as many as CP). But still very worth a look!

Merrillville is a possibility too, however I would stay only on the south side of Merrillville where there are newer less run-down complexes and where there is a little less crime and rowdiness.

Let us know if you need more help!

Old 11-01-2011, 06:01 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,743,229 times
Anywhere South of Route 30.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:51 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,493,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Anywhere South of Route 30.
Now, I wouldn't say ANYWHERE south of 30. I doubt that Saint John, Cedar Lake, or Lowell would be very fitting for a young single professional.

Saint John isn't as appealing to young professionals as most of the housing options that would appeal to them (townhomes/condos) are pretty much taken over by senior populations that have moved south from the south suburbs and northern lake county.

Cedar Lake doesn't really have many of the amenities that young professionals look for and is far from Chicago nightlife.

Lowell is...Lowell...growing, but still very much a family oriented farming community.

I chose Crown Point (south of 30) mostly because while it is very family oriented, it is the one town in NWI that I feel has successfully appealed to the most broad range of demographics and at the most price points. One could live in all types of newer housing in Crown Point.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:01 AM

422 posts, read 813,059 times
Quote:

The Chicago neighborhood of Hegewisch is right on the Indiana border and has a south shore train station that would give you transit access to both downtown Chicago and Gary. It is a great compromise if you want to take advantage of everything both Chicago and northwest Indiana has to offer. Hegewish itself is an older mostly family neighborhood but there is a small apartment complex right next to the train station as well as several other older buildings that have apartments. I made a near duplicate post to this in the Chicago forum thread you made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana