Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 02:34 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,740,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbalsley View Post
My son received a job offer in East Chicago, IN (Tradebe) and I was wondering where he should live for a safe community. He needs to rent around $700 a month preferably a studio apartment. Any suggestions?
Any children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 04:00 PM

435 posts, read 430,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbalsley View Post
My son received a job offer in East Chicago, IN (Tradebe) and I was wondering where he should live for a safe community. He needs to rent around $700 a month preferably a studio apartment. Any suggestions?
I am guessing that your son has no kids (given the preference of a studio apartment) so he doesn't need to consider strength of school systems. In that case, Highland may be a good option for him. If he is a recent grad and wants to live in downtown Chicago where there are a ton of younger folks then maybe he could find something in the South Loop or near U of Chicago. If that is the case, the Chicago board can help you out more on specific suggestions. This would of course require a longer commute. If he is wanting to live closer to work, I would recommend Highland and Munster as good safe options which are relatively close to East Chicago.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:48 AM

119 posts, read 154,838 times
If renting consider Griffith. It is close to EC as well as quick to shopping in Highland/Schererville. Rent is slightly cheaper as well. I work in East Chicago as well and if you live north of the railroad tracks you can get to the industrial area in 10-15 minutes easily from Griffith. Areas there to look at would be west of Broad St or a couple residential streets on the east side of Broad but avoid the Mansards or streets in its close vicinity. As someone who worked in Griffith for a while and spent a lot of time there it's a good little blue collar town with a centralized downtown with plenty of bars and microbreweries if he is into that and other activities (pool hall, bowling alley, shops).

Old 07-27-2016, 11:08 PM

9 posts, read 5,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfty.dude View Post
I received a position at the Suncoke plant in East Chicago and will be looking for a place to move me and my wife and two infant and toddler boys. I don't particularly want to live around east Chicago as I don't hear too many good things about the area. So I am hoping someone on here could suggest a good family oriented suburb or community that we could move to. Our credit is not very good but before taxes I will be pulling $80k give or take. I don't mind a long commute if it means a safe place for my family to live at. I say suburbs but really any place that is good to raise a family in.

Thanks in advance

If you're looking to rent, I'd recommend Boulevard North Townhomes in Hammond, IN. I lived there for four years and never had any issues. Maintenance was always very professional and resolved problems quickly, even when the office was closed. They will be more concerned about your salary as opposed to your credit. The area there is fairly quiet and safe, however keep in mind that I'm originally from Chicago.

If you'll be in Northwest Indiana long term, you may want to look at Munster once the kids reach school age. Munster has one of the best school districts in Northwest Indiana. It costs a little bit more to live in Munster, but I think the school district along makes it worth it. Lansing, IL, which is right next to Munster, IN is also a good area. And last time I checked, their school district was pretty good, too. Both of these areas are quiet and safe.

All of these areas will still keep you with a reasonable commute to and from work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana