Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 07:21 PM

7 posts, read 45,567 times

Advertisements

Moving to NWI and wondering if there are areas that are more gay-friendly than others? I am looking at Schererville, IN - simply based on what I have read here. I will be commuting to Chicago for work. I am not looking for rainbow flags - however - would like to avoid any areas that are known as not being very tolerant and diversity-friendly. Could also look at Crown Point. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 06:58 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
My gay couple friends, believe it or not, live in Hammond. They purchased one of the old beautiful homes and rehabbed it. They never had any issues with any neighbors. He commutes to Chicago every day for work from the Hammond station.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:59 AM

811 posts, read 2,336,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewnrb View Post
Moving to NWI and wondering if there are areas that are more gay-friendly than others? I am looking at Schererville, IN - simply based on what I have read here. I will be commuting to Chicago for work. I am not looking for rainbow flags - however - would like to avoid any areas that are known as not being very tolerant and diversity-friendly. Could also look at Crown Point. Thanks!
I think you'd be fine in any town in Northwest Indiana to be honest. Towns you mentioned like Schererville and Crown Point are certainly more conservative as a whole than the towns north of 80/94. However, this is not the Bible-belt of the country by any means. If you don't force your beliefs down your neighbors throats and are respectful to others, there shouldn't be a problem. That could be said for anyone really, not just gay people. Every town will have some lunatics, so it may not be a bad idea trying to talk with your potential new neighbors (if you're looking to buy a house) before buying. This will give you a chance to really get a feel for the area and people there, and should also allow you to gauge the initial reaction of your neighbors if you're there with your significant other talking to them.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:11 PM

Thanks to both of you - that is very helpful and what I was hoping to find!

Old 03-25-2013, 06:17 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,489,099 times
I have several gay/lesbian friends who reside in the area (in Munster, Whiting, CP, and Dyer) all of whom are out and none have expressed any major issues. There is no solid gay community in NWI but from what I have been made aware of, many reside in the Munster, Highland, and south Hammond area due to proximity and access to Chicago where there is more access to gay-friendly establishments, etc.

While towns like Crown Point, and Lowell initially may not come to mind as "gay-friendly" areas due to being overall conservative areas, when it comes to sexual orientation, I have heard of many issues in Gary and EC largely due to the very religious ideologies in that area. People may be fiscally liberal up north, but seemingly less socially liberal (at least with sexual preferences) than other areas of NWI.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:22 AM

Thanks, that is very helpful! I appreciate you taking the time to respond to me.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:07 AM

7 posts, read 29,222 times
I think the Miller Beach neighborhood, in Gary, would be a great option too.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 9,019 times
I lived in Schererville for about 15 years until last November. I'm straight but have gay friends. I wouldn't term Schererville gay-friendly so much as gay-tolerant or -neutral -- you won't see any Pride Parades, but you also shouldn't be harassed. Being a good neighbor, whether you own or rent, will be more important than your orientation.

For the most part, the conservatism in Schererville is more sociological (common sense midwestern) than religious. Keep in mind, though, that there is a strong evangelical Baptist presence in the area with the Hyles-Anderson College (the affiliated megachurch is seeking its way after the pastor was convicted of having sex with an underage church member). There's also a small, non-affiliated evangelical Baptist church in Schererville that caused an uproar about ten years ago by putting an anti-gay slogan on their church sign. Many residents objected (a good thing). The pastor back then is no longer with the church, and I haven't heard a peep about them in many years.

I wouldn't move any further south than Schererville. There's a strong redneck presence the further you drive down US-41, and residents there are on high alert to prevent encroachment of what they see as the evils of city-living.

Schererville is a nice place to live and raise a family. It's a bit on the dull side for a single person, but you have access to Chicago amenities and nightlife options (though driving is a must, and there is a visible police presence on main thoroughfares to crack down on drunk driving).

Old 03-30-2013, 10:21 AM

That was very interesting! Thanks!

Old 04-01-2013, 05:59 PM

21 posts, read 63,746 times
You know, I second Miller Beach. It's a fun, funky area - reminds me a bit of East Rogers Park in Chicago - beautiful and mixed. If you've got children, though, I'd be cautious to move over there: that's why we didn't move there, actually. I live in Munster, and it's a pretty open-minded town, too. There are some nice pockets in Hammond if schools aren't important to you, and you might find it a bit more lively than Munster/Dyer/Schererville, which are really two-cars-and-a-mortgage-and-soccer league kind of towns, god bless 'em. Good luck!

You might also look into Chesterton and Valparaiso, but they're a bit farther out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana