Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2014, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,050 times

Advertisements

I am a single professional w/ no kids currently residing in the S. Burbs of IL. It is getting very bad here almost scary with no quality rentals. Lots of Sec 8 rental houses and apartments. Anyone from Highland see how there would be a down side to my move. I want something more upscale, safer and closer to shopping and dining. I currently work in NWI also and my commute would be cut in half. What have you been hearing about Prairie Square? Know anyone who is moving or has moved there? Can't find much on the net because it is a brand new property but wondering if the locals have "heard" anything about the management company. All replies are appreciated but I really would love to hear from those currently actually living in Highland or neighboring communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 07:08 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,491,199 times
I haven't heard anything in particular about the management company but the buildings look pretty nice and the clubhouse area looks nice as well. Definitely exceeded my expectation from when this project was first dubbed as a "motel community"...It does not look motel at all...It looks more like just a small, dense, apartment community. It reminds me of some of the communities you see in college towns except smaller and more expensive. This is one of the very few newer rentals in Highland and in that area in general and I know that the prices will not stay where they are at. Also, it seems like a good percentage of folks will be staying for leases in the 6 to 9 month range and they will pay a premium over the listed rates.

I don't see how there would be a downside...you are close enough to shopping and dining and it is a very safe area with a low transiency rate. As far as homeowners, Highland had the lowest rate of foreclosures in Lake County a few years ago and I would say this is still largely the case. This has a positive impact on the town overall and people really want to see Highland do well. Several years ago, I thought that Highland was a very stagnant community...but recently, they are really ramping up redevelopment of commercial areas and some residential areas. If any downside at all, it would be that this place is kind of pricey and will only get pricier as demand builds up and Highland can be very boring for the young professional crowd. I don't know if Prairie Square will have any kind of networking, "get to know" or "ice breaker" type of activities that while usually seen as "lame" may actually be a good way to connect to others in the immediate community. Good luck on the move!

Old 01-20-2015, 09:50 PM

30 posts, read 70,096 times
Also considering this complex. Did you make any further steps?

Old 03-12-2015, 06:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,696 times
I am moving there in May. The rates are not too bad but I hope there won't be huge rent increases in the coming years. This area of highland has great shopping and restaurants. I will miss living close to Southlake Mall area in Crown Point but the commute to/from downtown Chicago is long and exhausting. Don't know how much longer I will stay in NWI (been here since 1993) but this will be my last residence if this commute proves to also be problematic. My dealings with the management staff has been pleasant. Looking forward to a pleasant stay and pleasant neighbors and community

Old 03-17-2015, 06:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,248 times
I have friends living there. I will say, the inside is definitely the most updated and nicest apartment you'll find within the Hammond, Munster, highland, dyer area. The clubhouse has coffee and a gym and the apartments have in uint laundry. That said, you will pay a premium price for rent in relation to other apartments around.

They do have some complaints though. The entrance gates rarely work how they should. You can imagine how frustrating it would be sitting at the gate clicking the button 50 times trying to get the correct side of the gate to open. There is also a separate pedestrian gate that has coded access, but they weren't given the code. Once the complex is complete, there won't be nearly enough parking, as they are building more units than they have parking spaces. The builder is hoping that not everyone with a two bedroom apartment has two cars. The apartments are being built so quickly and still settling after you move in, as a consequence there was a huge crack that needed to be fixed in their drywall.

If you have or want pets, this is also not the community for you.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmee View Post
I have friends living there. I will say, the inside is definitely the most updated and nicest apartment you'll find within the Hammond, Munster, highland, dyer area. The clubhouse has coffee and a gym and the apartments have in uint laundry. That said, you will pay a premium price for rent in relation to other apartments around.

They do have some complaints though. The entrance gates rarely work how they should. You can imagine how frustrating it would be sitting at the gate clicking the button 50 times trying to get the correct side of the gate to open. There is also a separate pedestrian gate that has coded access, but they weren't given the code. Once the complex is complete, there won't be nearly enough parking, as they are building more units than they have parking spaces. The builder is hoping that not everyone with a two bedroom apartment has two cars. The apartments are being built so quickly and still settling after you move in, as a consequence there was a huge crack that needed to be fixed in their drywall.

If you have or want pets, this is also not the community for you.
Something to add: I also have a feeling that rents are going to skyrocket once this place reaches capacity. In addition, I wonder why they chose the gates that swing out instead of the ones that slide? Also, in an area like that, building more apartments than there are spots is ridiculous!

Old 03-19-2015, 01:32 AM

2 posts, read 3,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Something to add: I also have a feeling that rents are going to skyrocket once this place reaches capacity. In addition, I wonder why they chose the gates that swing out instead of the ones that slide? Also, in an area like that, building more apartments than there are spots is ridiculous!
I believe rent has already gone up $100 for the newest building. A sliding gate would fix the problem of the wrong side opening. They definitely should have planned to have more parking spaces! My friends are worried about being able to find a space once the last buildings open and they have no idea how their guests will find a spot either.

Old Today, 06:07 AM

Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
So almost 10 years later, this complex still remains very nice and kept up (on the exterior). Most complaints that I had read had to do with a specific property manager and also the walls of the units being thin (which I feel like is the case for most newer apartment complexes save for maybe super luxurious ones in cities like Chicago, NYC, Miami, etc.

There have not been any notable complaints from the larger community about these apartments becoming "ghetto" and next-door Hampton-In-Highland has been doing some renovations to units to make them nicer (and pricier).

Rental price increases have happened everywhere but the price of these ones are very high especially for how small the units are! Although Hampton-In-Highland has renovated some units, they are still older buildings in a larger complex so Prairie Square still has the advantage of essentially being the newest apartment complex in the area.

You can see here: https://www.prairiesquarerentals.com/rental_listings

Overall, I know I am pleased to see this complex versus the closed-down old Terry Shaver dealership that was becoming an eyesore. Not to mention the injection of tax revenue this brings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana