Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 01:47 PM

17,401 posts, read 14,631,586 times

Advertisements

Our always helpful poster, Northwest Indiana, has done a great job of adding to his Munster thread - I thought I might start a master thread on Valpo ... one that's positive anyway.

Anyways ... interesting article in today's Times:

Recession has slowed but not stopped Valpo's progress

A little cut & paste:

Quote:
In the midst of one of the worst recessions in the nation's history, Valparaiso has managed to grow and thrive. And, now that it appears the recession is easing, the city appears poised for a big upswing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 01:56 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,491,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Our always helpful poster, Northwest Indiana, has done a great job of adding to his Munster thread - I thought I might start a master thread on Valpo ... one that's positive anyway.

Anyways ... interesting article in today's Times:

Recession has slowed but not stopped Valpo's progress

A little cut & paste:
Thanks! I think the redevelopment overall is very beneficial for Valpo. I just hope they continue to focus on the downtown area and adjoining neighborhoods to further solidify the core of that area!

Old 03-06-2011, 03:55 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
I will continue to sing the praises of Mayor Costas for his initiatives with the city, especially with regard to the East Lincolnway corridor, N. Calumet area, and of course downtown. Even as the economy has taken a tumble, Valpo is continuing to prosper. I recently read that two new restaurants are opening up shop in Valpo's already-vibrant downtown. I remember as a kid, downtown was a fun place to go to get ice cream or to go to the pet store, (my two favorite childhood excursions) but it wasn't really a "destination" for weekenders. It's much different today...it's full of all sorts of cool gift shops, art galleries, coffee shops, restaurants, etc. while maintaining the very quaint and relaxed vibe it has always had.

Also, can't wait til they finish with the Central Pk. Plaza downtown..it will definitely enhance the aesthetic quality.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:22 PM

Also, just read this today...US 30 through Valpo isn't ugly per se, just kind of bland...it could stand some improvement. These proposals look very interesting:

Plan proposes giving U.S. 30 corridor a facelift

Old 03-06-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
I will continue to sing the praises of Mayor Costas for his initiatives with the city, especially with regard to the East Lincolnway corridor, N. Calumet area, and of course downtown. Even as the economy has taken a tumble, Valpo is continuing to prosper. I recently read that two new restaurants are opening up shop in Valpo's already-vibrant downtown. I remember as a kid, downtown was a fun place to go to get ice cream or to go to the pet store, (my two favorite childhood excursions) but it wasn't really a "destination" for weekenders. It's much different today...it's full of all sorts of cool gift shops, art galleries, coffee shops, restaurants, etc. while maintaining the very quaint and relaxed vibe it has always had.

Also, can't wait til they finish with the Central Pk. Plaza downtown..it will definitely enhance the aesthetic quality.
I think the downtown plaza was a fantastic idea and it looks wonderful - not out of place at all.

Quote:
Also, just read this today...US 30 through Valpo isn't ugly per se, just kind of bland...it could stand some improvement. These proposals look very interesting:

Plan proposes giving U.S. 30 corridor a facelift
Thank you for posting this ... and what I'm about to say is more out of frustration than anything else.

I'm not a fan of eminent domain but I wish they'd condemn those dang "fireworks" stores that are right next to Speedway and bulldoze them. Ugh.

Next year, CVS is going to be moving to where Centier is at that intersection and building a new store. And, as I understand it, Centier is going to be moving farther east between the new CVS and the strip mall just west of Chili Bowl. So I think it's a perfect time to do something with that area in article ... as a side note, I've seen people catch salmon back there the size of a seven year old. They're HUGE.

As for the intersection of Hayes Leonard & 30 ... uh, not so much a fan of doing much there and especially not connecting Joliet to 30. I'm not quite grasping what and why they want to do - that's not an area of town that has a problem. (They need to spend some time figuring out the Strongbow road situation before they tackle re-routing any other roads.)

ETA: I just blew up the pic in the article ... it looks like there's proposed sports fields where those fireworks stores are. I hope Valpo doesn't pay them the $2.2M that they want for that property.

Last edited by Chuckity; 03-06-2011 at 05:32 PM..

Old 03-06-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Next year, CVS is going to be moving to where Centier is at that intersection and building a new store. And, as I understand it, Centier is going to be moving farther east between the new CVS and the strip mall just west of Chili Bowl. So I think it's a perfect time to do something with that area in article ... as a side note, I've seen people catch salmon back there the size of a seven year old. They're HUGE.
They're putting a CVS there? Not surprised at all...seems like wherever there's a Walgreens, a CVS is never far behind.

I like the idea of them possibly restoring the SE side of the Washington St. intersection to open space. There are relatively few nature areas/parks/bike trails on the south side of Valpo compared to the central and northern parts.

Quote:
As for the intersection of Hayes Leonard & 30 ... uh, not so much a fan of doing much there and especially not connecting Joliet to 30. I'm not quite grasping what and why they want to do - that's not an area of town that has a problem. (They need to spend some time figuring out the Strongbow road situation before they tackle re-routing any other roads.)
I think the reason they are considering that intersection is that it's the area of first impression of the city for eastbound travelers on 30. But I agree, it's not really a bad-looking area as is, compared to points further east.

Last edited by Bluefox; 03-06-2011 at 06:02 PM..

Old 03-06-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
They're putting a CVS there? Not surprised at all...seems like wherever there's a Walgreens, a CVS is never far behind.
Yep. Centier leases the land and decided not to renew the lease.

It'll be nice to have a CVS on that side of town that doesn't operate out of a building that looks like a shed.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:56 PM

Helpful Valpo websites ...

Official city site: Welcome to the City of Valparaiso, Indiana Homepage

Local MLS: GNIAR

Valpo schools: Valparaiso Community Schools (http://www.valpo.k12.in.us/valpo/site/default.asp - broken link)

Parks Department: Explore the possibilities with the Valparaiso Parks Department - Soccer - T-ball - Baseball - Day Camps - Adult Fitness - Triathlons : Porter County's one stop for all sporting activities.

Community Festivals & Events: Valparaiso Community Festival and Events

Downtown dining: Valpodining.com | Valpodining.com

Community news: Welcome to ValpoLife.com

YMCA: Welcome to the Y | Valparaiso Family YMCA

Neighborhood Walking Routes: Walking Routes (http://www.ci.valparaiso.in.us/walkingroute/routes/routes.htm - broken link)

Memorial Opera House: Memorial Opera House

Chicago Street Theatre: Chicago Street Theatre (http://chicagostreet.org/default.aspx - broken link)

49er Drive In: Welcome to the 49er Drive In Theater - www.49erdrivein.com

Chicago Dash: ChicagoDASH Bus Service

(Just trying to one up Northwest Indiana's Munster Thread )

Old 03-06-2011, 08:12 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,491,199 times
THIS...MEANS...(a solidly middle class)...WAR!

Old 03-07-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
THIS...MEANS...(a solidly middle class)...WAR!
See, while although Munster is 89.4832% solidly middle class and Valparaiso is 74.3782% solidly middle class the true difference is monetary structure of these two classically solid middle class communities whereforartthou they receive their middle-classness. For all intents and purposes, Munster relies on the vibrant social and economic pull of Chicago for it's employment and amusement of it's residents. Valparaiso on the other hand, along with 86.5743858734% of Porter county in general, is completely self sufficient in it's accumulation of solidly middle classness. So while monetarily-wise, Valpo's median income pales to Munsters, longevity-wise, it excels because gas prices will not have an effect on it's awesomeness.

Which brings me to the topic most people are concerned with: schools. It stands to reason that Munster schools are best for Munster children. And Valparaiso schools excel at educating Valparaiso children. Obviously, it's no competition. And for the 4.8329% of Valpo children who who be better off with a Munster education, only 2.4820% (rounded up, naturally) of Munster's children would be best presented with the educational system that Valparaiso affords it's residents. And it goes without saying that all this is made clear through the rankings of the Newsweek's Best High Schools - which, though flawed, surely shows the outcome to be exactly what it's intended to be. Anyone who can't come to that conclusion, is, well, probably not solidly middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana