Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 09:15 AM

32 posts, read 20,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I agree that the carnival probably has to come to an end - but the sad part is that it was a big money maker for St. Thomas More.

Why do people have to be idiots?
Yeah.....St. Thomas More is a Church. As a church, how could they ever put money ahead of the safety of Munster Residents. Time for STM to rent a lot in Hammond and host the fest there. Also, Munster doesn't see any tax revenue from the fest since STM is a non-profit. The fest has to go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
This is not to say that ALL Hammond residents are bad, because that is furthest from the truth...but like I and many others thought...

Hammond man charged in Munster Jewel-Osco shooting
STM should host the fest in Hammond....plain and simple!

Old 06-30-2016, 10:09 AM

277 posts, read 442,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njova195 View Post
STM should host the fest in Hammond....plain and simple!
This comment just doesn't make any sense. Why would a Munster church host a fest in another town for fear of the types of people that would attend?

Old 06-30-2016, 10:48 AM

119 posts, read 155,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iidreamtheaterii View Post
This comment just doesn't make any sense. Why would a Munster church host a fest in another town for fear of the types of people that would attend?
Assuming sarcasm... Yea it's unfortunate that this has happened but where would it move to? It'll be where its at or it'll be done. This is not the church's fault so why should they be the ones punished!

Old 06-30-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra86 View Post
Assuming sarcasm... Yea it's unfortunate that this has happened but where would it move to? It'll be where its at or it'll be done. This is not the church's fault so why should they be the ones punished!
It is the church's fault. The church is the host of the fest and should simply stop having it if it brings a negative element to the community. They need to be a responsible partner to Munster. Town Council meeting is next week.....bye..bye STM Fest.....

STM should have a wine or art festival. What is wrong with that?

Old 06-30-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njova195 View Post
It is the church's fault. The church is the host of the fest and should simply stop having it if it brings a negative element to the community. They need to be a responsible partner to Munster. Town Council meeting is next week.....bye..bye STM Fest.....

STM should have a wine or art festival. What is wrong with that?
How is it the church's fault? Were they handing out guns for game prizes? From your earlier posts it seems you are against the church to begin with about not paying taxes. Maybe the questions should be asked about the 'negative element' instead. They hold a festival which their parishoners and people from the area attend. 99.99% of the people that go are respectful and enjoy their time. I'm not a member of this church nor Catholic, but have attended this fest and other catholic church fests and have never felt my safety was in jeopardy. The only way you can point the finger at the church is if they were serving him or allowing access to alcohol as he is 18. And what if this shooting happened in Hammond where the only suspect arrested so far is from? This story wouldn't develop into what it is but that's a topic in and of itself.

Before rushing to conclusions about the future of this event you should consider this - a lot of people in the area enjoy and look forward to these festivals as it is a way for the whole family to have a good time.

Old 06-30-2016, 04:01 PM

435 posts, read 431,189 times
Default What's Up With the Metal Detectors?

Quote:
How is it the church's fault? Were they handing out guns for game prizes? From your earlier posts it seems you are against the church to begin with about not paying taxes. Maybe the questions should be asked about the 'negative element' instead. They hold a festival which their parishoners and people from the area attend. 99.99% of the people that go are respectful and enjoy their time. I'm not a member of this church nor Catholic, but have attended this fest and other catholic church fests and have never felt my safety was in jeopardy. The only way you can point the finger at the church is if they were serving him or allowing access to alcohol as he is 18. And what if this shooting happened in Hammond where the only suspect arrested so far is from? This story wouldn't develop into what it is but that's a topic in and of itself.

Before rushing to conclusions about the future of this event you should consider this - a lot of people in the area enjoy and look forward to these festivals as it is a way for the whole family to have a good time.
I heard that they had a metal detector at the entrance this year. Did you go this year? Or the last several years when fights broke out and they had to shut it down or when the cops were getting shoved? There is NO WAY I would let my young children go to this event. Nor a teenage son or daughter. Maybe this event way OK 5 years ago but there has been a repeated issue with violence associated with this event more recently. Is an event with a metal detector really that "family friendly"?

I don't understand what you don't get about gang culture and trying to keep it out of your community. While the police haven't said the word "gang" yet, I pretty much think that 2 "groups" of young men shooting at each other outside the carnival fits the bill. You and I both know that gangs aren't loitering the parking lot of that Jewel at all. So why were they there that night at 10PM? It is because the carnival attracts these types of people and when put together in this environment they get violent.

The church holds the event to make $. Nobody going to that event is hearing about the word or God. It really isn't an outreach to the larger community from a spiritual standpoint. Hosting free Vacation Bible School during the day for disadvantaged youth would be much more noble and in line with the teachings of Jesus.

The church knows the carnival environment is breeding violence. That is why they have metal detectors and police presence at the event. They know that they are making Munster less safe. But the almighty dollar, it can cloud your judgment. They will continue to try to have it. Ultimately only Munster Town Residents can shut this down by saying they don't want it anymore. Hopefully people wake up before someone gets killed b/c eventually it will happen if nothing changes. Gang members don't have much to lose and that is why they do stupid things like shoot up people. In contrast, IMO the residents of Munster certainly will lose if this continues.

Old 06-30-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr789 View Post
I heard that they had a metal detector at the entrance this year. Did you go this year? Or the last several years when fights broke out and they had to shut it down or when the cops were getting shoved? There is NO WAY I would let my young children go to this event. Nor a teenage son or daughter. Maybe this event way OK 5 years ago but there has been a repeated issue with violence associated with this event more recently. Is an event with a metal detector really that "family friendly"?

I don't understand what you don't get about gang culture and trying to keep it out of your community. While the police haven't said the word "gang" yet, I pretty much think that 2 "groups" of young men shooting at each other outside the carnival fits the bill. You and I both know that gangs aren't loitering the parking lot of that Jewel at all. So why were they there that night at 10PM? It is because the carnival attracts these types of people and when put together in this environment they get violent.

The church holds the event to make $. Nobody going to that event is hearing about the word or God. It really isn't an outreach to the larger community from a spiritual standpoint. Hosting free Vacation Bible School during the day for disadvantaged youth would be much more noble and in line with the teachings of Jesus.

The church knows the carnival environment is breeding violence. That is why they have metal detectors and police presence at the event. They know that they are making Munster less safe. But the almighty dollar, it can cloud your judgment. They will continue to try to have it. Ultimately only Munster Town Residents can shut this down by saying they don't want it anymore. Hopefully people wake up before someone gets killed b/c eventually it will happen if nothing changes. Gang members don't have much to lose and that is why they do stupid things like shoot up people. In contrast, IMO the residents of Munster certainly will lose if this continues.
The church may not pay directly, but I'm sure the vendors are paying town/county fees to have their business there and probably have to report their sales. I get gang culture, I get that they want to wreck society and prey upon the weak that they can influence to do their wrongs. These are things that are not the church's problems though. This begins in the homes and maybe the parents should consider the church???

Well Highland is having their 4th of July fest this weekend, lets hope we don't see a repeat...

Old 06-30-2016, 08:15 PM

435 posts, read 431,189 times
Default Does This Analogy Make Sense?

Quote:
The church may not pay directly, but I'm sure the vendors are paying town/county fees to have their business there and probably have to report their sales. I get gang culture, I get that they want to wreck society and prey upon the weak that they can influence to do their wrongs. These are things that are not the church's problems though. This begins in the homes and maybe the parents should consider the church???

Well Highland is having their 4th of July fest this weekend, lets hope we don't see a repeat...
So if I am an owner of a pitbull and I host a gathering of my friends who also own pitbulls in my backyard and the pitbulls get rowdy and jump the fence and bite the kids next door year after year, am I culpable at all? The first time, no, you didn't know this would happen. The third and fourth time, yeah, I think you need to take some responsibility. If not legally, then morally.

I am not trying to say people are dogs but I am saying you should take responsibility for the environment you create when it hurts others. The safety of our kids should be paramount.

Church has a degree of responsibility knowing that this event leads to violence. If the town is on the take, then yes, they are also responsible. As a Munster resident, I am responsible if I don't stand up and voice my concern.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:25 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,493,927 times
One thing I can say is that despite rumors of Munster going downhill for like the past 40 years, Munster has made great strides to make improvements and remain desirable (more than any other town along Ridge in Illinois and Indiana). With that being said, the town will definitely respond to residents concerns...for example, around town, residents were complaining about the basketball courts throughout the town becoming overrun with non-residents whom were totally disrespectful not only to Munster residents whom had the first right to use the facilities, but also to the environment and surroundings. So to address the issue, several measures were taken. When Community Park was redeveloped, the basketball courts were not replaced. In other areas of town, the hoops have either been completely removed or courts turned into half-courts with only one hoop or two hoops in the middle of the court facing the opposite direction (so that two half-court games could be played)...removal of hoops was most recently done at White Oak park...now? these actions have solved the problem entirely! Sad that these types of measures had to be taken but in my opinion, when an amenity becomes unusable by residents of the town or an attraction becomes a deterrent for residents to participate in (such as this Carnival), then it is time to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana