Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2007, 08:03 PM

562 posts, read 1,791,406 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys I have been using city data a lot as I am planning a move down south and figured if anyone had Valpo questions I can answer them to the best of my knowledge. I was raised in Valpo, I am a minority (so I can answer questions about race relations) and went to IU bloomington, so I can also answer questions about bloomington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,329 times
I wanted some info on race relations in northwest indiana, including valpo,hobart and the chesterton areas. We are looking to relocate and we come from a diverse city. I want to send my son to a good school BUT I would like him to see a few classmates that look like him!

Old 05-10-2008, 08:42 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckj View Post
I wanted some info on race relations in northwest indiana, including valpo,hobart and the chesterton areas. We are looking to relocate and we come from a diverse city. I want to send my son to a good school BUT I would like him to see a few classmates that look like him!
Porter County has seen a larger increase in the Hispanic population over the past few years. Portage seems to be getting more diverse. However, I think you will find that most of the people are accepting overall. Some of the older people are a little more set in their ways. I know some good friends who live in Valpo, and I think it is a very pleasant overall. I attended Valparaiso University in the past before transferring to another University, and I met many great people from around the area.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 05-11-2008 at 05:35 PM..

Old 05-11-2008, 11:36 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,337,802 times
Lake county IN has residents from a variety of ethnic backgrounds. That said, I wouldn't say that race relations are great, in the sense that many groups tend to 'stick to their own.' Plus, the non-Caucasian communities (while a large % of the total population) tend to be clustered in certain areas.

My experience has been that large increases in African-American and Hispanic populations are seen as bad things by many Caucasians in the area. I'd imagine it's similar (if not less accepting) in Porter County. Don't assume that diversity per se (i.e. having people of all races) means that they get along well. The key is not how many minorities a given area has. It's how well they are received by others.

When thinking of diverse communities where people of all races interact as friends, Hobart, Chesterton and Valparaiso, IN would not be very high on my list. There is very little overt racism here, so it might be hard for minorities to notice.

That said, I don't think a non-Caucasian family would have trouble leading a happy life in Lake or Porter county. People will have biases/stereotypes and that won't change but, as long as you and your family are friendly and courteous to others, you should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana