Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2007, 01:05 PM

2 posts, read 10,443 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm originally from NW Indiana, Miller specifically. My wife and I currently live on the North Side of Chicago and believe that we will soon buy a house in Munster. I've often ridden the South Shore (SS) between Miller and Randolph both for pleasure and as a working commuter.

My specific question revolves around the realistic travel times driving to and from Munster and the East Chicago and/or Hammond SS Stations? I've seen estimates of 10 minutes and just want to see if anyone could comment on local driving traffic congestion to the stations?
Also, could anyone comment on the ease of parking at either station? Figure I'd be taking about the 7:40am train into the city.

Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 05:42 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,739,536 times
I think that a 10 minute drive time is unrealistic at that time of day.

I'd give it at least a half hour to either station.

I don't know whats worse, Hohman Ave or Indianapolis Blvd.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:54 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,508 times
It's not going to happen anytime soon, but NICTD is finally looking into building a branch line through central Lake County. Obviously, it's very long overdue. It's an awfully long ride from Munster to the train stations near the lakefront, let alone from somewhere like Crown Point.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:36 PM

12 posts, read 73,155 times
Default Munster-north or south

Depends on if you live in the north or south end of Munster. If you live in the southern end then a half hour drive during morning rush wouldn't be out of line. If you live in northern Munster where you can jump on Calumet or Hohman easily, then 10-15 seems to be right. The new branch of the South Shore won't be built for another 5-10 years so don't make your plans around it. I would stay in Miller, just bought a second home there and love it. Such an easy commute from my home in Chicago.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:50 AM

2 posts, read 10,443 times
Default Thanks everyone so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones-n View Post
Depends on if you live in the north or south end of Munster. If you live in the southern end then a half hour drive during morning rush wouldn't be out of line. If you live in northern Munster where you can jump on Calumet or Hohman easily, then 10-15 seems to be right. The new branch of the South Shore won't be built for another 5-10 years so don't make your plans around it. I would stay in Miller, just bought a second home there and love it. Such an easy commute from my home in Chicago.
Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't sure how much the north/south divide would factor in. Are there any neighborhoods on the north side you might recommend/discourage?

As for Miller. Yeah, I grew up there, and really enjoyed it. However, living there might be a little too "Everybody Loves Raymond." At least, there is enough baggage for me to want to strike out on my own a bit.

Thanks for the posts to all.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:48 AM

12 posts, read 73,155 times
Anywhere you pick in Munster will be ok. The area north of Ridge Rd along the Highland and Hammond border is nice. Why Munster? I grew up in Hammond and there are some great houses in the southern part. The Forest Ave. area and the Purdue Cal area have great houses that are less expensive then Munster and are not cookie cutter bi-levels. Both cities share the same southern border so it is not like you are moving to the industrial part of Hammond. Just saw a 4000 sq ft house in Glendale Parkway for sale for around $350,000. It is a great area and the houses surround a private park. Many of my friends have moved back to the Forest ave area to raise their families. The area is right off of Hohman Ave so you will just have to go north about 2 miles to the station. Also if you have kids the city has a new program where it will pay $7500 a year toward tuition for a public or private college in Indiana, you should check it out.
FYI most of my neighbors were doctors, lawyers and Chicago executives just like in Miller, but as you know when you say Gary everyone turns down their noses. Oh well their loss.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:04 AM

1 posts, read 5,039 times
Default Living in Munster

I live in the north part of town and I love it. There are several homes for sale in Wicker Park Estates. You can buy a house for as little as 250,000 and go up to over 700,000, depending on what you are looking for.

My neighbor rides the South Shore every morning and it only takes them about 10-15 minutes to drive to the station in East Chicago. The parking is free and plentiful. If you are taking the 7:40, which I have taken on occasion, you will not have any problems.

Good luck in your future move.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:49 PM

2 posts, read 7,687 times
10-15 minutes is correct. It may take more if you live south of 45th Ave. There's a train track where some trains like to just sit and not move. As far as parking, by 7:40, the lot start to fill, so give yourself at least 5 extra minutes to be able to walk to the playform...or take a flight of stairs to the playform in East chicago. Nothing worse than trying to run up a flight of stairs to catch the train, while wondering if you locked your car doors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana