Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2008, 03:41 PM

2 posts, read 8,771 times

Advertisements

Could I get some insight in comparison of two systems from some "insiders"? I only seem to hear about Valpo schools. Also in relation to sports teams in high schools. Houses we like seem to be Valpo address but Chesterton schools.

We are thinking of relocating from western suburbs of Chicago for more of a small town feel, lower taxes, more land and cheaper housing. We are originally from Ohio so are hoping Indiana has more of that Midwestern feel. My husband will commute downtown Chicago. Anyone drive that commute and how is it? He wouldn't commute during rush hours to or from.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 05:23 PM

17,371 posts, read 14,618,966 times
We live in Valpo and moved out here 7 (almost 8) years ago (from Illinois) for the same reason - better schools, better housing w/ lower taxes - and we haven't been disappointed.

My kids are in Valpo schools and I'm thrilled with their education and the opportunities they have.

You will definitely hear the "Valpo schools #1" mantra - but, in my honest opinion, your kids will get a great education in the Duneland school system as well.

My kids aren't athletes so what I know about the sports program is limited, but I will say that every time our kids go to a Valpo vs. Chesterton game (no matter what the sport), I always hear that Valpo won.

For ease of commute to Chgo, Chesterton (or at least the north side of Valpo) is best ... even with off peak times.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!

Old 11-04-2008, 09:04 AM

211 posts, read 947,487 times
We recently moved to Valpo from Chicago for the very reasons you mentioned. So far we are really happy with it. The commute is pretty long but not as bad as I expected. We usually take the south shore train but have driven a couple of times. We get home from Chicago in a little over an hour even during rush hour. We seem to have better luck on the toll road so far. 80/94 takes longer for us. We had one bad day and that was during our move. Traffic was horrible that day and it took us a couple of hours. That was actually during off peak times and because of construction. So far the couple of times we have driven to and from work hasn't been bad at all and it was during rush hour. I wouldn't want to do it every day though. The train is an 1 and 20 minutes and I usually read while my husband watches movies on his lap top. I don't know about the schools because we don't have kids but I have heard the school system is very good in both Valpo and Chesterton. My uncle is actually a teacher in Chesterton. Valpo has a very good university and I've always read that university towns have good school systems. There is a Valparaiso website, I think its connecttovalpo.com or something similar. If you go to the moving area and scroll down there is an like to request information. I did this and they sent me a very nice packet of information and a Valpo map for free.

Good luck.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:52 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,530,577 times
I currently split my work week between Chicago and Indy, although I know that at some point my employer will want me in Chicago full-time. For that reason, I've been debating Chesterton vs. Valpo as well. I'm leaning towards Chesterton because of its proximity to the Dune Park station. I can always drive to Valpo for the shopping conveniences. I'd rather keep my commute, on the other hand, as short as possible.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:58 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
We lived in Valpo for a couple years and the commute up to the Dune Park station was tedious, but then again, we lived south of 30. If we were to move back up there, we would live as far north as possible. Chesterton schools are good. Valpo has more prestige, but I think that kids get a good education at Chesterton too. And if any kids are swimmers, Chesterton is the defending state champion.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:20 PM

2 posts, read 8,771 times
Thank you all for the help. Keep the information coming as it is so helpful!

Old 01-15-2009, 08:19 PM

6 posts, read 19,431 times
well as an honor student at Chesterton I will be completely honest with you chesterton has very high ratings in their outlook on their students and academics we are also very highly ranked in atheltics as well having 1 olympic trial swimmer and 1 state soccer team runner up state football team an undefeated basketball team and #1 orchestra in the state unfortunately i am on the varsity cheerleading team and that is something that has some major downfalls

Old 01-15-2009, 08:20 PM

6 posts, read 19,431 times
not only that but chesterton is a much calmer and peaceful town and valpos shopping centers are not a far drive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana