Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 15,492 times

Advertisements

I am from the nw indiana area and want to have my wedding at lake michigan- between portage and to the state line- I want it to be semi private- so the dunes is not really an option as I don't want 1/2 of NWI attending! I would like to rent chairs to have on the beach- but I am trying to keep my cost down- there will only be less than 30 guests there (we're having a big party later) Any help would be great!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 06:19 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,721,897 times
Short of finding a homeowner willing to let you use their beach area ... not sure what to tell you. You could call up the city of Whiting to see if you could use a patch of Wilhala Beach ...

Old 04-11-2009, 01:00 PM

246 posts, read 629,235 times
My first wedding was a private wedding on the
beach of Lake Michigan, so I just had to open
this thread. We knew a homeowner however
and that person was gracious enough to loan
us her beach. Good luck!

Old 04-13-2009, 12:44 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,338,753 times
Have you considered renting a lake front cottage for a weekend (although most rent by the week). That would give you access to the more private beach.

I will add that I've seen several beach weddings while in FL. People seemed to admire the ceremony from a distance and leave the wedding party to do their thing. Most of us are just curious but would leave you alone.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:35 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,391,339 times
Can you go up to Michigan - possibly Union Pier? There are a couple of bed and breakfasts that would work beautifully.
Sandpiper Inn or the Inn at Union Pier

Old 05-13-2009, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 15,080 times
Default Have you found anything??

Hi there! My son is wanting to do the same thing, and I was wondering if you had any luck in finding a beach front yet? I just started putting out 'feelers' to see if anyone would be willing to rent their beach for a few hours. I wish you luck and would appreciate having you let me know if you found anything. I will reciprocate if I find anything as well! We are from South Bend.

Kristi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjean1980 View Post
I am from the nw indiana area and want to have my wedding at lake michigan- between portage and to the state line- I want it to be semi private- so the dunes is not really an option as I don't want 1/2 of NWI attending! I would like to rent chairs to have on the beach- but I am trying to keep my cost down- there will only be less than 30 guests there (we're having a big party later) Any help would be great!!!!!!!

Old 06-13-2009, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 14,775 times
Has anyone ever attended a wedding at beach walk resorts on Sheridan Beach on Lake Michigan near Michigan City, Indiana? Thinking about having my wedding there.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:27 PM

1 posts, read 12,739 times
My dauthter is also planning a beach front wedding. We just need a beach!!! I am in Crown Point IN and would like to keep the destination around Lake Michigan also. If anyone knows a spot, please give me your input.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:24 AM

57 posts, read 198,698 times
We had our ceremony on the beach in Beverly Shores, although ours was the first week in October and on a weekday. We had NO issues with other people wanting to be in that space. We didnt have a tent etc, just the wooden white folding chairs for about 80 people, and set up a refreshment table at the top of the stairs by the washrooms/parking. It also has a handicap lift there for older folks that might have a hard time navigating the steps down. You had to leave a deposit for the accessible access lift with the parks dept, and give them notec, get a permit for the ceremony. It was easy and seamless. Plus easy access for people on the south shore, you could have a limo (golf carts, whatever) driving people from the station to the beach. The PP suggestion of renting a small cottage in one of the private Beach Communities is a great one also...Ogden Dunes, Miller Beach, Beverly Shores or Dune Acres. Then you can set up a place to meet prior, dress there, etc...I would suggest a morning wedding (9 to 11) or sunset (6 to 7 window) for any beach wedding during the summer due to heat and crowds. Even if it is a private beach, it has walking access from public. Sunset would be neat with bonfires which are allowed at the beaches with residences. Of course those Steel Mill sunsets would provide spectacular backdrops : ) Good luck. Always call the Duneland Parks Dept to double check on rules/usage/fees.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 11,272 times
I would recommend BeachWalk in Sheridan Beach, just east of Michigan City. You'd want to rent a cottage there, and I think they rent for weekends. The beach is an easy walk, just across the street. I have seen weddings taking place while we were renting there.

HOWEVER, I would think about it from the standpoint of comfort and logistics. If anyone is going to be dressed up, it'll be pretty uncomfortable. And walking over the dunes is difficult even if you're in good shape. I think a beachfront wedding sounds more fun than it actually would be.

But that's purely my opinion. The folks whose weddings we observed (quietly, from a distance) looked like they were having a blast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana