Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 02:57 PM

6 posts, read 26,115 times

Advertisements

Hi,I'm currently looking to move either lake county or porter I'm from Chicago,Ill I have a decent paying job here but the cost of living is getting more ridiculous everything going up my cousin live in griffith,IN since 2004 & said he never live in Illinois again cause the cost of living I looked at nice affordable apts Gary,IN like duneland village I don't know how nice the area I also look in portage & saw a beautiful apt on willowcreek I never heard of portage until I started looking to move to Indiana I'm keeping my job of course I don't mind the commute Gary is closer to Chicago there's alot to do there but which county is better lake or porter? Please help replies are needed thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 03:01 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,495,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaCartwright View Post
Hi,I'm currently looking to move either lake county or porter I'm from Chicago,Ill I have a decent paying job here but the cost of living is getting more ridiculous everything going up my cousin live in griffith,IN since 2004 & said he never live in Illinois again cause the cost of living I looked at nice affordable apts Gary,IN like duneland village I don't know how nice the area I also look in portage & saw a beautiful apt on willowcreek I never heard of portage until I started looking to move to Indiana I'm keeping my job of course I don't mind the commute Gary is closer to Chicago there's alot to do there but which county is better lake or porter? Please help replies are needed thanks for your help.
I will be happy to help...First, what are your requirements (and the importance of each requirement)? For example:
  • how much can you spend on rent?
  • importance of schools (if you have school-age children)?
  • Commute time/options (car, train, bus)
  • amenities? (pool, exercise area, etc)
If you elaborate on those, it would make it much easier to assist .

Thanks!

Old 04-05-2010, 07:57 PM

811 posts, read 2,338,700 times
First of all, let me say I think you're making a wise decision moving to Indiana from Chicago. As far as nice towns to live, I honestly wouldn't live in Gary or Portage. To answer your question, Gary really is NOT getting any better, and Portage has it's rough parts too. Neither would be a great place to live. If you're going to be commuting to Illinois on a daily basis (I do the same), you should look at Lake County, specifically Munster or Dyer as your two best bets. Schererville, St. John, and Highland are also viable options.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:26 PM

320 posts, read 955,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaCartwright View Post
I'm keeping my job of course I don't mind the commute Gary is closer to Chicago there's alot to do there but which county is better lake or porter? Please help replies are needed thanks for your help.
Assuming you take the train, that's an hour train ride to Gary Metro. That's after your drive to the station, and before you hoof it from Randolph.

For quality of life, I recommend Munster. The train ride from the Hammond station downtown is 42 minutes, and the drive to the station is about 15 minutes.

If you can swing it, rent on a decent place will be $800-$1000.
Highland is also an option, and Dyer and St. John are nice, but far from the train.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:15 AM

6 posts, read 26,115 times
Thanks for the information on lake & porter county my husband & I have looked at a apt in highland,IN & love the amenities it has to offer I drove around all the areas I was considering of course gary,IN was the first off my list when a man looked like he was walking toward my truck like he knew me I hurry! & drove off quickly! Plus it too run down looking even there downtown is nothing like Chicago downtown I might as well stay in Chicago for that at least I'm firmilar with Chicago areas where to go & where not to go. We found new home in portage at the reserves in willowcreek I really love the apt it has our own entrance to our apt like a house & two bdrms with two full bths for only $930 we pay electric plus the all the shopping centers right across the street if all goes well this summer we'll stay for a while. The drive to our jobs is 40mins my husband & I use to driving. Thanks for the replies I really appreciate it!

Old 06-18-2010, 05:51 PM

2 posts, read 5,091 times
Default lk or po co?

Try Porter at this time. Prices, policing, and the area is just plain nicer. I currently am a resident of Lake County, and love it, but I am in hammond. Wait till Gary developes a little bit more, you can always move then. I truely believe Gary has a comeback in it. In the 50's it was SOOOO beautiful, we all remember. They have just tightened up on the building inspector dept. Take care.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:26 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,337,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isabelrey View Post
Try Porter at this time. Prices, policing, and the area is just plain nicer. I currently am a resident of Lake County, and love it, but I am in hammond. Wait till Gary developes a little bit more, you can always move then. I truely believe Gary has a comeback in it. In the 50's it was SOOOO beautiful, we all remember. They have just tightened up on the building inspector dept. Take care.

Gary will not be making a comeback anytime soon, if ever. There are no signs of it whatsoever. Any changes in Gary will be further deterioration.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:59 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,607,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Gary will not be making a comeback anytime soon, if ever. There are no signs of it whatsoever. Any changes in Gary will be further deterioration.
If Gary could elect a government that isn't incompetent and corrupt Gary could easily make a comeback. It's so close to Chicago, has lake front property, and possibly Chicago's third airport.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:33 PM

17,427 posts, read 14,663,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
If Gary could elect a government that isn't incompetent and corrupt Gary could easily make a comeback. It's so close to Chicago, has lake front property, and possibly Chicago's third airport.
Except for Miller, Gary really doesn't have lakefront property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana