Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After reading the article/attending meetings, which option appeals the most to you AND seems the mos
Option A 0 0%
Option B1 0 0%
Option B2 1 16.67%
Option C 0 0%
Option D1 1 16.67%
Option D2 1 16.67%
Option E 0 0%
Option F 1 16.67%
None 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 12:07 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,495,397 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I just wanted to post a poll regarding the new construction/reconfiguration options for the LCSC. It is a popular topic in NWI and just wanted to put a poll out there on what most people think. Please, read the attached article and then vote in the poll based upon what was read in the article. Thanks!

Options for high school abound

(P.S. The question of the poll was cut off...it is supposed to read "
After reading the article/attending meetings, which option appeals the most to you AND seems the most realistic?")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 09:09 PM

815 posts, read 3,000,008 times
Yikes, that's confusing. Not what you are asking northwest indiana, but how they have that.

I don't think these plans will go over any better then the old plan. Most are MORE expensive then the old $95 million plan. I think most that opposed it the last time, was due to the high cost.

I think they just have to let it rest for a while. in this economy people just aren't in the mood to raise their taxes.

There is no notes about the bus garage and the administration building either. Leaving the ad building as is would lower the costs. If they got a private operator for the school buses, they could sell the garage instead of spending more money on it.

I don't think any of these plans will fly either.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:19 PM

A possible solution:

Schererville, Dyer, and St. John each get their own grades 9-10 junior high school.

Lake Central High School will become Lake Central Senior High School with grades 11-12. If there is additional space at LCSHS, the Westlake Special Education program could be held there, otherwise, it can be held there for all 9-12 students in the tri-town area that are in the program. If there is no space, then it can be held at the 9-10 junior high schools.

Cost? A LOT OF MONEY (but so are all of the other plans)

Con: the cost may be much, MAY reduce the amount of advanced classes available.

Pros: a better atmosphere for students as more individual attention can be focused upon each student. Also, (for those who love the powerhouse LC athletic programs as well as the other good extra curriculars, this will give a chance for everyone to develop their schools at the junior high level so that when they get into the senior high, the competition will still be even greater (yet everyone will have still had at least 2 years to participate so that if they apply to college, they can still have a chance to enhance their application)

Another good pro for this is that each town will be responsible for their own (much smaller) system and will not have to rely on the cooperation of all of the towns except for at the 11-12 grade level. Also, the concept of online learning can be applied at the 9-10 level so that at the 11-12 level, the students would have mastered it and perhaps, different scheduling techniques could be used to alleviate some crowding at LCSHS if that became an issue

Addressing the advanced classes issue:

Further dividing of the schools MAY prohibit students from taking advanced classes...but this is where the online classes come in. I believe that some of the classes that were taught when I was in high school did not require daily attendance at all. This is not to say that I skipped class (which I never did) but it contributes to the lack of interest that many students posses BEYOND the fact that they may not be interested in a subject altogether. Having said this, I believe that if some of the classes were divided--say into an online/offline component--then it would not only reduce operating costs (as students wouldn't always have to be in the building) but it would reduce the costs of RENTING many textbooks (depending on the subject) when scholarly journals and texts could be used (through EBSCO and other forms of media). I believe the parents are already paying for this through their taxes. Why not be able to further utilize this at home? All of this would free up space, time, AND funding to be applied to Advanced Placement courses. Yes, some parents may be upset that they may have to contribute to course costs that their child may never enroll in, but how many other costs can one think of that they contribute to and never use? Many! I believe that if the LCSC explores more non-traditional options as some other schools have, who knows, it could prove to be a new beginning for the tri-town area! And this may sound weird, but I believe that by diving the school districts into each having their own (and sharing a 11-12 LCSHS) it may actually bring the towns CLOSER together! I think this is very realistic.......I do not live within the LCSC district but this topic interests me because I believe this does affect NWI in a big way, I love to see progress in my neighboring towns, and that is what I am all about!

Old 05-06-2010, 02:41 AM

Default Extra! Extra! Read all about it!

This just in:

Lake Central charts $200M future

Thoughts?

Old 09-04-2010, 05:32 PM

811 posts, read 2,338,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
This just in:

Lake Central charts $200M future

Thoughts?

So the last we heard, there were these plans to build a 7th elementary school and revamp the existing Lake Central High School. The thing is, that was in May, largely influenced by then-superintendent Gerald Chabot. However, Chabot retired in June and was replaced by Dr. Veracco. So, due to the change in superintendent, has anyone heard any new news about the future plans of the Lake Central School System?

Old 09-30-2010, 11:17 AM

Thumbs up Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
So the last we heard, there were these plans to build a 7th elementary school and revamp the existing Lake Central High School. The thing is, that was in May, largely influenced by then-superintendent Gerald Chabot. However, Chabot retired in June and was replaced by Dr. Veracco. So, due to the change in superintendent, has anyone heard any new news about the future plans of the Lake Central School System?
I meant to post this a little earlier but I could not find the article. I guess the corporation is moving forward with some projects that INCLUDES the high school as well! However, it is nothing on the scale of what everyone is really worried about.

Lake Central moves forward with projects

Old 09-30-2010, 03:04 PM

Well this article really only touches on some of the cosmetic updates that are going to be made (roof, windows, etc) costing a little over $5 million. The bigger question I was asking is if the plans were still intact to spend the $200 million on building a 7th elementary school and making major renovations to the high school.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
Well this article really only touches on some of the cosmetic updates that are going to be made (roof, windows, etc) costing a little over $5 million. The bigger question I was asking is if the plans were still intact to spend the $200 million on building a 7th elementary school and making major renovations to the high school.
I figured that...but given the climate that LC has been going through, this is somewhat significant news!

Old 10-01-2010, 10:53 AM

I know I've brought this topic up previously, but I feel that creating a 2nd high school in the LC school district would be the best option, although very costly in the short-term and and in this economy not likely to happen anytime soon. That's not the debate I'd like to bring up again.

My question, however, is directed to anyone familiar with the process of the newer Chesterton High School. I'm just trying to get information on how much it cost, how the financing of the project worked, what was the approximate increase in taxes per capita, etc. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 10-02-2010, 04:01 PM

Does anybody know if LCSC owns any vacant land in Schererville? If so, where? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana