Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 01:46 AM

40 posts, read 113,347 times

Advertisements

Aloha,

I lived in Honolulu, Hawaii for my entire life, so yes, I'm definitely a townie I would love to visit the towns in the neighbor islands to experience what life is like in other parts of Hawaii. Some towns I'd like to visit include Hilo, Lahaina, and Kahului. What is it like in those towns? How urbanized are they? I heard businesses in Hilo close super early. Also, how are the people? I remember in middle school when I visited Iao Intermediate School, the students there seemed much nicer than the students at my middle school in the urban core of Honolulu, frankly speaking.

Of course I'd imagine anywhere in Hawaii outside of Honolulu would be less urbanized. I visited Kahului for a weekend when I was in the eighth grade and remember that the pace was definitely a lot slower than what I was used to. Also, I heard Maui has a lot of mainland transplants (like Honolulu). My former co-worker from the country side in Kauai told me that people speak pidgin more often out there.

Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 10:14 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,038,810 times
Kauai is very slow paced and yes, pidgin is the official language of Kauai. lol.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:08 PM

312 posts, read 1,375,466 times
no matter the answer to these questions, you sound like you are interested enough in visiting the other islands that you should do it no matter what the answers are. yes, it's slower paced anywhere you would go in the islands than it is in Honolulu, hands down. which is a good thing! more layed back, open spaces, more climates and history to expirience for you. it will be an amazing expirience to get out there!

Old 06-11-2010, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Kauai is very slow paced and yes, pidgin is the official language of Kauai. lol.
Heh, yeah my former coworker told me that people over at Kauai speak pidgin everywhere, even at the store. When he would speak pidgin to me, his pidgin would be like full on.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactastica View Post
no matter the answer to these questions, you sound like you are interested enough in visiting the other islands that you should do it no matter what the answers are. yes, it's slower paced anywhere you would go in the islands than it is in Honolulu, hands down. which is a good thing! more layed back, open spaces, more climates and history to expirience for you. it will be an amazing expirience to get out there!
Yeah, I totally agree with you that visiting the other islands will be an amazing experience for me. I have pride in the local culture, but I feel like I'm missing out a lot from learning about how the local culture is on the other islands. I can experience Hawaii only so much by staying in town.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:30 PM

243 posts, read 813,768 times
Wait, so let me get this straight, you have lived in Honolulu your entire life but haven't been to the other islands? Hmm... sounds weird but if you don't mind me asking, why haven't you gone outside of Oahu? Big Island and Kauai are amazing. Nice relaxing places.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:38 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,038,810 times
Hell I know local folks on Kauai that have never traveled to the other side of the island...

Old 06-13-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arodrigues88 View Post
Wait, so let me get this straight, you have lived in Honolulu your entire life but haven't been to the other islands? Hmm... sounds weird but if you don't mind me asking, why haven't you gone outside of Oahu? Big Island and Kauai are amazing. Nice relaxing places.
In my post, I said I visited Kahului for a weekend, so I've been to another island.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:03 PM

312 posts, read 1,375,466 times
it's not weird. many people haven't been to the other islands. even some transplants! i think it's great you want to change that. i wish more people would!

Old 06-15-2010, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactastica View Post
it's not weird. many people haven't been to the other islands. even some transplants! i think it's great you want to change that. i wish more people would!
Yeah, I actually know some people who haven't been to another island in Hawaii, although they go to the mainland or other countries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu