Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 07:13 PM

25 posts, read 59,323 times

Advertisements

Are there any Veteran's services / organizations you can use to get some of this information? I would think that a few phone calls could turn up a lot of leads that might ease the transition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 10:36 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,450,736 times
that way i chose the big inland for it a low cost of liveing along with what i will make from the retirement from my job and from the military after beening hurt in a jump and beening medical from the military ..

how fugal do you live along with do you have large than life buying habits as it comes to buying highed electonics items or other things and what is the limit of your basic items for liveing..

for i do not drink or smoke or have really big spending habits along with my personal buying habits are really fugal at times ..for my personal two biggest items i spend money on is books and dvd movies and tv series that i will spend money on in my life..plus when i grocery shop i use coupons when i shop..plus i buy bulk to save money along with shopping at walmart and 99.cents stores along with beening a single guy i bulk 24 pack of toliet paper along with the largest bottles of handsoap and other large packages of personal bath items that store in the bathroom for stowage and use at a later time..plus haveing a cost co and sams clubs cards to get the big bulk items for items i need ..

i lean to not really into eating at high end places for i eat out about one or twice a week and it places like kfc or pizza places or someother fast food places along with not really beening a socalled social person who needs to go to places where there is lot of people ..

my company is going to pay for my internet and personal cell phone bill along with the cable tv package along with a little cash comeing my way when iam working as part of the deal that i made with them for doing a little part time work here and there for them as a outside person to view the work that is going on and makeing sure that all details that the personal that do the same job for it allways better sometimes to have a fresh set of eyes on the job that outside the normal chain of them work ..

plus i say this when shopping off brands are just as good as big name brands when it comes to food items ..

Old 09-07-2010, 11:58 PM

9 posts, read 18,654 times
For me I am cheap for the most part. I will pay more for my computers than average, bit that's because I am a computer geek. I will also not skimp on my toilet paper.
I don't care about being in style, or keeping up with the Jones'.
I plan on my main budget items that are more leisurely to be my new scuba gear, a kayak, wind surfing board and most likely one day a sailboat. I figure it will take a few years to get all this stuff but I'm good with that. I'm also good with it being used items.
I don't need tv, I can watch most my shows online. I do want my groovy phone and internet.
I don't eat a lot and love fresh fruits. Cook at home more than eat out.
I think I will do well once I get situated there and get my rehab from my ACL replacement finished.
I am so excited. And so nervous.
Only one more winter.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:49 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,295,570 times
I think I would forget the car. Why bother? The Bus in Oahu is CHEAP...and goes everywhere you need to go in the city all the time. Plus if you were free from the major expenses of car ownership, you'd be able to manage on your income much better.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:15 AM

Yes The Bus is great, but how do I take any of my gear to the beach? Does the bus have room for things like a wind surf board? Or are there places you can rent for storage of your gear near the water?

Old 09-08-2010, 02:27 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,295,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffion View Post
Yes The Bus is great, but how do I take any of my gear to the beach? Does the bus have room for things like a wind surf board? Or are there places you can rent for storage of your gear near the water?
Since you aren't in need of employment or commuting to work everyday. You could easily live close to whatever beach you wanted to live at.

I thought you had a disability though? Windsurfing with a bad knee?

Old 09-08-2010, 03:41 AM

Having knee fixed this month at the VA hospital, they say I'llbe able to do things again.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,169 times
Yeah, that is a good idea!

Old 09-08-2010, 04:34 AM

In all reality I am still on the fence about the car. It will depend on a couple things.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:53 PM

369 posts, read 779,033 times
Yes, you can easily live on oahu on $2,000 a month, i do it on less. I also have a car. I am against the idea of getting a car right out the gate. Get a bus pass ($60 per month) for maybe two months. That way you can have a relatively accurate assessment of whether or not you need a car and you can start to understand the lay of the land. If you need a car, you could always buy a decent used car. The bus won't let you take any surf boards (maybe body boards), they will let you take a bicycle (racks in front) and any bag that can fit in your lap, altho they always turn a blind eye to groceries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: