Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 08:35 PM

18,474 posts, read 19,123,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythoughtsandopinions View Post
Hothulamaui, I totally agree with you. if it was any other day on any other occassion I would have rolled my eyes and walked out the door. This however, was on the day I was going to get married to the love of my life. I guess I'm just a hopeless romantic, and I guess I can't expect someone with a name like "Hothulamaui" to understand.
please I am as romantic as next person but you have to be a bit lolo to expect that walking into a government office,waiting in line for a marriage license is going to be a moment with birds singing in the back ground and butterflies fluttering. ya go to eat at denny's you don't expect fine food and service. same with with the DMV or any government fee based licensing. you should be more upset that you allowed outside stuff to bring you down on a day where nothing should of been able to get to you. carrying it around for a week? well thats just a shame
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 10:36 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,548,233 times
Yesterday I had to go to the post office in Pahoa to pick up a package that wouldn't fit in my PO box.
I had checked the mail on Sunday and found the yellow card they use to notify you. The card is simply a piece of card stock and they write your PO Box number on it. You are to take it to the office and they hand you your package. They then cross off your number and re-use the card for the next person that has a larger package.

Well, I forgot the card back at home. When my turn in line finally arrives I mention that I forgot the card, but my box number is xxxx.
The lady asks "How could you forget the card?"
Me, "I just did. Sorry."
She, "I can't give you the mail without the card."
Me, "Here's my ID, I own the PO Box."
She, " I can't give you the mail without the card."
Me, "Then can you go put a new card in the box and I will go back and open the box with my key and I will then give you the card?"
She, "No, I can't do that. I am waiting on customers."
Me, "But you are the same person who puts the card in the boxes to begin with!" (small post office)
She, "Sorry, I cannot give you the mail without the card."
I leave in disgust.

Government service at its' finest.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:53 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,282,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauleahere&there View Post
Number 8: Bring cookies. Or flowers.

Srsly. Short of sliding a sawbuck over the counter, it's the most expeditious thing you can do. It worked with Aunty Wanda at the DMV, and I wasn't the only one who thought so, from the numbers of bon-bons and fresh cut flowers on her desk.
Those weren't "bon-bons", they were probably chocolate-covered Macadamia nuts.

Knowing the "Akaka handshake (http://www.staradvertiser.com/columnists/leecataluna/20100727_Akaka_Handshake_has_sealed_sweet_deals_wi th_taste_of_isles.html - broken link)" (or something similar) helps to get quite a few things done. Cookies, flowers, fresh fruit, mochi crunch, and Kona coffee beans also work quite well.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:12 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,048,355 times
Something like bribing in a third world country...

Old 10-19-2010, 12:15 PM

820 posts, read 3,042,750 times
Agree on all the nice ways to get nice back.

I went to the post office with a big stack of boxes that had to go out to my clients. I stood in line and got a gal who said I had to go use the machine outside. I was surprised, because back home they would take the boxes and help me. I said something like that, which got the expected response from the gal PLUS stink eye from every other worker AND everyone else in the place. My bad. I went to use the machine, which was long because you had to answer same preliminary questions each time. When I was done, I stood in line again, waited for the gal, and then apologized and gave her a sample of what I was sending out. The nearby worker said, "That's nice", everyone nodded, and I was back in good graces.

Now whenever I go to the post office, I bring samples, and I get plenty of service.

When I went to the DMV, I took a present, and the lady swore I must be related (I'm not), and approved something despite the fact I forgot a paper.

It pays to be nice to people who have to deal with some not-nice other people all day long.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:37 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,811,118 times
To the OP, if that is your idea of a "horror", you've led a pretty sheltered life. Better luck in the future. And congratulations on your marriage.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:12 PM

Destination weddings in Hawaii are BIG business and bring in tons of money. For that matter the state of Hawaii spends millions promoting the industry. So for a state employee to be an as_hole and be working at the central marriage license office for the State is totally unexceptable.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:56 PM

820 posts, read 3,042,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
So for a state employee to be an as_hole and be working at the central marriage license office for the State is totally unexceptable.
I know you meant unacceptable, but the mis-type is kinda funny - especially since other people imply such behavior is not an exception. Not crashing you, just enjoying the irony.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
I know you meant unacceptable, but the mis-type is kinda funny - especially since other people imply such behavior is not an exception. Not crashing you, just enjoying the irony.
Yeah I noticed that after I re-read it but it was too late to edit.

At times I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, lol.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:47 PM

4 posts, read 11,983 times
hothulamaui, your right. I apologize for my rash words earlier. I guess I'm just a hot head and it takes a while for me to cool down with things like this. I agree that it was my fault for letting such a childish feeling fester inside of me for so long. truce?

Eureka1, thanks for the congratulations, and it's true, my life has been pretty sheltered. then again, whenever I get into confrontations I usally beat the other person to a pulp. It was a horror that I had to walk away from this one. = )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu