Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 04:13 PM

119 posts, read 376,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pee-cee View Post
but how often do you buy personal things that does hold it's value? Your LED TV? SUV? Your LV purse? Also, we don't have a Starbucks, cigarette, or beer habit to fund, or kids. That's why we're okay with it.
=)
sorry but you're mistaken, LV purses hold their value, as a matter of fact some limited items I purchased in 2008 for $700s, now worth more than 2k, I sold 3 of them recently. As my Tiffany wedding band bought for 2k now worths maybe $500 if I were lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 02:03 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
If you haven't had a chance yet, read "Rich Dad." If it isn't paying you back, it owns you, not the reverse. Yours is the generation us old radical farts hoped would finally "get it." Resist making autopilot moves, like buying a diamond engagement ring that you only even think of because De Beers spent billions on advertising to convince you it was essential. 100 years ago a simple thin band with, say, a garnet was considered luxurious. Put your money where it will grow. Save more than you spend. Reduce your footprint on the environment.

Reduce. Reuse. Simplify. We're starting to die off, and we're counting on you to do it better than your parents did. The health of the planet depends on it.

No kidding.

OpenD
Diamond rings are the most heinous fake tradition foisted upon consumers. Most people don't even have any idea it's a fake tradition manufactured by DeBeers to sell their artificially price inflated diamonds.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:14 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksotia View Post
sorry but you're mistaken, LV purses hold their value, as a matter of fact some limited items I purchased in 2008 for $700s, now worth more than 2k, I sold 3 of them recently. As my Tiffany wedding band bought for 2k now worths maybe $500 if I were lucky.
Congratulations and I'm sure you properly reported your capital gains to the IRS as required.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:24 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksotia View Post
sorry but you're mistaken, LV purses hold their value, as a matter of fact some limited items I purchased in 2008 for $700s, now worth more than 2k, I sold 3 of them recently.
Sure, but collectibles are not a reliable investment. They only hold their inflated value as long as there are others willing to play that game, and the game can collapse quickly when trends change. And the absolutely perfect counterfeits one can buy on Canal Street in NYC or in Hong Kong for maybe $40, the kind that Customs agents can't prove are counterfeits unless they rip them apart, kind of tell the tale on those purses inherent value.

Beanie babies, anyone?

Reliable investments have underpinning value, like real estate, or established businesses. Investments pay you back. And early investments that are held are worth more than late investments because they accumulate over time. Oh, how I wish I had understood that and acted on it when I was young and foolish.

I firmly believe it is materialism that is killing the American culture. We save less, and invest less than any major country you can name. And our grandchildren will be left holding the bag when China becomes the dominant world power.

Anything that doesn't pay you a return owns you. Think about it.

Sorry for drifting off topic, but the idea of spending a lot of cash on something that will instantly lose value, just because of an effective marketing campaign gives me the willies. I really wish I had been able to see that for myself back when it would have made a big difference.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:56 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,586,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I would not marry a man that bought me a ring from the same store you can get a 20 pound jar of mayo at if he did take that puppy out of the cost co box and never ever admit to it. set a budget, then as someone suggested go to some jewelery stores or a custom degin jeweler and get something with a little thought behind it other than a bargin...oh and pick me up a case of TP please

It is about the man not the ring! If he was perfect gentleman and was as in love with me as I was with him, ring or not, I would marry him!

Old 02-04-2011, 10:46 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
It is about the man not the ring! If he was perfect gentleman and was as in love with me as I was with him, ring or not, I would marry him!
of course it is about the man and the woman being in love. but engagement and wedding celebrations are about romance. buying a ring at costco doesn't convey romance it conveys "I got a deal" most women don't want a dust buster from their husband for their birthday either.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:18 PM

20 posts, read 81,934 times
WOW... I'm shocked by how much grief you're getting pee-cee! First they blast you for even wanting to buy (or waste money on, as they feel) a ring and then they blast you for trying to get a good ring for a good price! GEEEZZZZ!

Personally, I love the fact that my husband "wasted" his time, effort and money to give me something special. I am able to look at it every day with pride and it constantly reminds me of how fortunate I am to have found the love of my life. We've been married for a long time, so when I calculate the cost of this sentimental treasure into a daily price, it's not crazy. Cars are long gone and we've moved to different houses several times. Plus, we plan to pass it down to one of our children (or even grandchildren) one day so they can use it when they get engaged. No, I didn’t need a ring to say yes to my husband, but I love it!

You sound like a level headed, financially sound person. It would be different if you were in debt, charging everything and living beyond your means.

Costco has a great reputation for the quality of diamonds they carry. The big difference is they don't have a fancy storefront or knowledgeable sales at their locations. BUT they have knowledgeable buyers. I was thinking about the comment you made concerning re-sizing and voiding the warranty.... I think the biggest concern would be if the stone came loose from the mounting. Just be sure to insure it on a rider with your current home policy and that will be covered. Definitely look around so you feel confident with your purchase, but don't walk away from the best price for the best quality just because they also sell mayo!

Good luck! She’s a lucky gal… even if you do “waste” money on her!

Old 02-05-2011, 10:33 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,944 times
If you want a meaningful experience, shop for the ring with the woman. Tell her you want her to pick out several choices from multiple stores. Later, you go back and haggle out the price. She will get what she wants and you get the price you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu