Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2011, 12:44 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,073,767 times

Advertisements

Just before you get to Sandy Beach, driving North, there is a small Chinese Buddhist shrine. There is a pull off area that barely holds two cars.

If you look over the small wall toward the ocean, in the dirrection the Buddha is lookin and look down you can see that someone has put down highway reflective markers with the industrial cement.

If you climb over the wall and follow those markers, you realize that someone has carved some steps along the path down. If you follow those markers down you find a smaller shrine with the picture of a fisherman and a cement and wood foundation for about a 10x10 building.

If you head toward the ocean and look left you can see that someone has carved a path into the side of the rock along the ledge. Follow this path (its right on the edge of a fall that might kill you with a large drop. The path narrows to about 16" wide. Following the path, you find an alcove carved into the rock with a flat base (looks like another shrine area, unfortunatly some homeless guy is using it as his bathroom). Past that it curves into another even larger alcove that is cut into the rock.

I wasnt sure I could make it any further, so I didnt go in.

What is this?
I mean besides a shrine. Why would someone cut into the rock that is so difficult to get to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 01:30 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,062,484 times
Which way is North? Heading towards Kaneohe or heading towards Honolulu?

I don't know of the shrine myself, is it new?

Old 03-06-2011, 04:58 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,101,902 times
Hmm good question. Will have to check that out on a dry day with no waves.

I believe the shrine he is talking about is the last pull-out before you get to Sandy's...coming from Honolulu.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:21 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,038,154 times
Don't know about this one but I've seen shrines dedicated to fishing on some islands. Sorry but I don't know the history behind them

Old 03-06-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
Hmm good question. Will have to check that out on a dry day with no waves.

I believe the shrine he is talking about is the last pull-out before you get to Sandy's...coming from Honolulu.
Yes, that's it.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:01 AM

74 posts, read 334,143 times
The monument you may be referring to might be a jizo, a Japanese Buddhist statue built for the protection of fishermen and swimmers. Retired Honolulu Fire Dept. captain and beach expert John Clark has written a book on these stone guardians.

Amazon.com: Guardian of the Sea: Jizo in Hawaii (Latitude 20 Books) (9780824831585): John R. K. Clark: Books

Old 03-09-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atp162 View Post
The monument you may be referring to might be a jizo, a Japanese Buddhist statue built for the protection of fishermen and swimmers. Retired Honolulu Fire Dept. captain and beach expert John Clark has written a book on these stone guardians.

Amazon.com: Guardian of the Sea: Jizo in Hawaii (Latitude 20 Books) (9780824831585): John R. K. Clark: Books
Yep! that's it
Thanks.

Funny thing, In the shrine on top, its all flowers, water, oranges, etc.
On the shrine climbing down its all snack food and lots of beer

Old 03-09-2011, 11:25 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,038,154 times
I've also seen makeshift shrines on the coastline that marked where someone has drowned. These are normally the ones with leis and beer bottles. I guess it's an Aloha and toast to their departed friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu