Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 04:37 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times

Advertisements

Which beach is your preference? Consider:
-people
-scenery/palm trees
-sand
-water
-nearby activities

This is just to hear opinions. I love hearing people's opinions.
Here are some pictures:

South Beach, FL:

Waikiki Beach, HI:

Last edited by Hawaii4evr; 11-21-2012 at 05:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 04:44 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Here we go again.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:30 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Which beach is your preference? Consider:
-people
-scenery/palm trees
-sand
-water
-nearby activities

This is just to hear opinions. I love hearing people's opinions.
Here are some pictures:

South Beach, FL:

Waikiki Beach, HI:
Dude, you definitely need to get leid! Give up these lame comparison questions, come up out of mom's basement, and go have some fun with other people!

Old 11-22-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Dude, you definitely need to get leid! Give up these lame comparison questions, come up out of mom's basement, and go have some fun with other people!
Wow you're rude! I love hearing people's opinions, and find these fun! I do interact with people outside the house! I do take online classes, though!

Old 11-22-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
Typical friendly Aloha spirit of the islands

South Beach, because the men are hotter and not racist to Haoles
Good choice! Honolulu for natural beauty, and Miami for a beauty of a different kind!

Old 11-22-2012, 01:36 AM

152 posts, read 372,078 times
Lots of archive answers. But, basically, S Florida near and between Ft Lauderdale to Miami area has a multitude of far cheaper, more modern looking apartments for a set price comparison with Oahu. usually, much less costly overall, including pricing for kwh electricity. You do not need to live physically on a beach to be extremely near, for far less . Those places on a beach side, for example, of a given location along the intracoastal waterway, are more expensive and more likely to have a tiny bit more access issue (bridge delays if raised, or denser traffic). Food shopping is far less problematic for proximity, and cost. Entertainment is far better and cheaper. Day cruises from Ft Lauderdale/port Everglades are good and often. At one time, New Years cruises to "nowhere" advertised in october and reserved, were about $120 each inclusive of dinner and breakfast buffets; depart 7:30 PM return at 02:30AM right to the dock and walking distance to the car parking garage. No road drunks or driving, and, much less costly and more relaxing; music etc including gambling if desired. Hawaii natural beauty is another discussion for comparisons. Florida is FLAT, but, there are many pretty locations. It is not Montana, Hawaii, or California. Types of crime are all over anywhere, various degrees. Traffic is dense, as is Oahu. BIG difference is that getting to Florida is by driving! Hawaii is by flying and is several hours from the east coast. Shipping initial car there is about $ 1100 via Matson from San Diego and reverse if you return later with it. From the east coast add another $1200 to 1400 for a total $ 2500. "Time" added into that scenario. Plus if YOU drive across east to west, room costs, food, gas, weather, and any hassles at San Diego to ship. Still TIME. To Florida, you just drive. BOTH locations mean lease deposits, AFTER finding a place,plus maybe one month rent. 5 hours time difference between east coast -Hawaii? Your decision. Jobs? Too many variables BUT size of the geographic locations speaks volumes about everything. You can reasonably ship things to Florida if necessary w/o selling your first born and schools are available. Tourists flood Florida all year, especially in winter and many retirees are there, so what? Hawaii gets tons of tourists too. Florida does not have a state tax, sales tax yes. Newbies arriving/coming sound like those going to Hawaii, and a lot leave after a while. BUT easier than leaving Hawaii. Love Hawaii but much is in both locations a huge "perception of paradise" and expectations not fully understood. One person's heaven may not be for someone else. However, cost of a ticket to get there to find out, and be disappointed, can be hard to handle in Hawaii. If you want the best of both, visit St Johns and St Thomas in the USVI while living in Florida; at least you can take a cruise ship from Miami to them! LOL. besides that, USVI has the same resource issues as Hawaii for utilities costs (fuel must be imported to run plants) and food too. Plus,they have hurricanes and tropical storms as well. FUN!! Beautiful and much like Hawaii and close to Florida to see. Or/and many other islands too. Success !!
If a hurricane happens, you can at least HAVE an option to drive out, although a long drive, but Oahu, stuck if a tsunami
ever ravages Oahu, or, warmer water generates a hurricane. Everything is shipped INTO Oahu...remember that. No vast fields of produce or herds of livestock. Lastly, people have perceptions of others all over the world. Treat others with courtesy and if they decide to make an issue regardless, well, so be it. That can happen anywhere, anytime. Do not generalize, as that mindset creates an image that leads to possible reactions. Stay open and genuine. For practical reasons of cost and "just getting there" plus airfare, it is more so to reach Hawaii. Sustenance and longetivity are individual and another matter . Be practical and realistic.

Last edited by OKfine; 11-22-2012 at 01:54 AM..

Old 11-22-2012, 03:03 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
I prefer Waikiki Beach. I love the palm trees (offering shade), the beautiful waters, the general 'feel', the music, etc.

South Beach? There is so little shade there. The palm trees are far from the 'beach' where people go. You have to walk through the sand seemingly forever to get near the water. When you get to the water, it's choppy and dirty. I like the 'image' of South Beach a lot, but that's about the extent of it.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:15 AM

152 posts, read 372,078 times
Great thing about various locations, there is something for each preference. For me, palm trees look nice but offer little real shade unless large clusters are in place. Too, on a beach seeking shade is partially counter intuitive, unless possessing an umbrella. "South Beach" is among a large selection of beach areas and more a specific tourist spot on Ocean Drive with an image name. I lived on Palm Island (location of Al Capone's old home), for years , along MacArthur Causeway. Lummus Park (right on the beach) on Ocean Drive is pretty good and there is also Bayfront Park, before the Causeway, for those that like to stroll as well. South Pointe Park used to offer free Friday Night concerts on a huge grassy area, with a band shell. The Broadwalk at Hollywood beach is really nice along the sandy areas and many places to dine as well. As said, to each their own preferences.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I prefer Waikiki Beach. I love the palm trees (offering shade), the beautiful waters, the general 'feel', the music, etc.

South Beach? There is so little shade there. The palm trees are far from the 'beach' where people go. You have to walk through the sand seemingly forever to get near the water. When you get to the water, it's choppy and dirty. I like the 'image' of South Beach a lot, but that's about the extent of it.
I've always heard Miami Beach has clean water? Was it the seaweed that made it dirty?

Old 12-03-2012, 09:43 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I've always heard Miami Beach has clean water? Was it the seaweed that made it dirty?
Not sure about seaweed there - although I have seen that other places.

Generally, I just think because the wind blows off the Atlantic Ocean, and just always rougher waters, etc. Whereas when you're on the Gulf of Mexico side of Florida, the ocean is more peaceful, serene, and you can see your feet more easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu