Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 08:21 PM

159 posts, read 368,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMarley View Post
Hmmm.. now that you are posting this thread, it strikes my mind, we might consider moving BACK to the islands! I miss it so... living on the mainland, ain't so easy... especially now.. we're in some hard time economically... gas is thru the roof, and you gotta travel so much on the mainland... you live on an island, you got less space you can EVEN travel to start with..
I think the stress level on the mainland is far worse than it used to be... living on an island, where you get to know your neighbors, people in local stores, etc, is much more rewarding than just being a cog in the wheel...
Yeah... we're thinking of selling a good deal of our stuff too. Wonder where the best place to do that is...? Where you'd get the best price...
I don't know... considering the taxes are going sky high in many parts of the mainland, is it even WORTH staying here? Also... the amount of toxins people think it's cool or SAFE to throw into the environment here on the mainland is unbelievable!
we got people in our area who put toxic pesticides on their front lawns once a week, just to keep them GREEN looking and pristine! The stuff is poison! I think the mainland sucks myself, and always liked Hawaii mo betta'.. there.. i've proved I'm a kamaaina...
glad your move went well.. Hawaii is a wonderland, isn't it?
Aloha Dana,

Yes, Hawaii is a wonderland filled with beauty.

We've been met with such open arms, local folks helping us out to find the better places to eat, shop, teaching us about local customs. Really a joy.

I know about the financial pain in CA, do your research, first step your own family financial Benjamin Franklin list. You need to look at the numbers, what will really impact your numbers would be mortgage/rent/utilies/car payment(s). If you can get down to no more car payments with associated expenses and not bringing any credit card payments, you will see such a big savings. Yes, we gave up square footage and only have one car now. But we're not stressing about how to keep all the balls in the air.

Hope it works out for you and yours to find a way to a less stress lifestyle.

Ruby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 10:53 AM

5 posts, read 9,729 times
So glad to read your post. I've been searching the forums for answers to my questions. I did not want to be redundant. I am contemplating the same move in a few months. When I read about all the lows, I am sure glad to read something positive.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi4me View Post
So glad to read your post. I've been searching the forums for answers to my questions. I did not want to be redundant. I am contemplating the same move in a few months. When I read about all the lows, I am sure glad to read something positive.
Aloha Me,

Glad to be able to have you think about your Pros and Cons list.

Where are you coming from? Ruby

Old 06-26-2011, 08:36 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,301,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloha_silverlining View Post
If you can get down to no more car payments with associated expenses and not bringing any credit card payments, you will see such a big savings. Yes, we gave up square footage and only have one car now. But we're not stressing about how to keep all the balls in the air.
I noticed that the BUS goes everywhere around Honolulu.

If I were to make the move to Honolulu, the first thing I'd do is forget about a car.

I spent a month in Honolulu...living off Nuuana Avenue...I found I could walk to downtown or Ala Moana Mall...it would take awhile...but certainly possible. A few times I even walked from Nuuana all the way to Waikiki Beach....but the buses were so frequent and the monthly pass was so affordable, that I easily jumped on buses just the same.

I've lived over in Asia for so long...that the only time I've owned a car in the last 15 years was the one year I moved back to the U.S. and moved to California. I was shocked at the immense amount of money I was just pumping into that car too - parking fees, gas costs, maintenance, insurance, on and on.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,339 times
Thank you so much for this positive thread! I am contemplating a move to Honolulu and have been frightened by some of the things other people have posted about living in Hawaii. I believe any place is what you make it. I plan on making Hawaii a loving, peaceful home for my 17 year old daughter and I. I am sure she has other plans which involve much drama and 'whatevers', but I will attempt to stay zen.
The information you have shared is so helpful. I am expecting to get a job offer next week with a start date some time in the next 3-6 months. I can't believe it. Be careful what you wish for, right??

Old 07-09-2011, 11:02 AM

Aloha Dreaming,

So glad that this has helped you out. We've been here exactly a month today and have no regrets, toughest has been missing our two grandsons.

Your attitude in life is a big factor I agree. Of course having a teen, well actually a very hormonal young adult, in the household will create a break of zen any where. LOL I have two daughters, so been there, done that. Remember your lamaze techniques...Inhale, Exhale, ghe, ghe, ghe. They never told you that you would need it later in paterhood.

I wish you lots of luck in getting that great job offer, just make sure you sit down and go back to your Benjamin Franklin list. Review pros and cons, run the numbers, and if it looks doable...go for it. You might have read it on this forum about making sure that everything is in writing from your prospective employer.

You can always DM me if you have any concerns that are TMI for the board. ; )

Best wishes, Ruby

Old 07-14-2011, 10:25 AM

6 posts, read 10,170 times
I have spent a few days on city-data researching information on Hawaii. Thank you for the positive feedback! I am getting ready to fly out to Honolulu to interview for a job and my mind is racing. If I get an acceptable offer, my husband, cats and I will be leaving Phoenix. We are ready for an adventure and hope he will be able to find work or arrange something with his current employer to work remotely. Scary as all get-out! We are pretty laid-back and the lifestyle seems to fit us. Thank you for the info - I will keep you all posted!

Old 07-14-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeocat View Post
I have spent a few days on city-data researching information on Hawaii. Thank you for the positive feedback! I am getting ready to fly out to Honolulu to interview for a job and my mind is racing. If I get an acceptable offer, my husband, cats and I will be leaving Phoenix. We are ready for an adventure and hope he will be able to find work or arrange something with his current employer to work remotely. Scary as all get-out! We are pretty laid-back and the lifestyle seems to fit us. Thank you for the info - I will keep you all posted!
Aloha Romeocat, best of luck with your interview. I think life in general feels scary to everyone in this economic climate. Just do your research for your family situation. But living on a budget in Oahu can be done and I know of several local transplants that it can be done.

Fingers crossed for you, Ruby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: