Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 06:42 PM

159 posts, read 367,685 times

Advertisements

Aloha all,

Picked up TheTang this morning from Pasha Hawaii, well really at the pier. The car got here on time but to get an appointment for pick-up at the Aloha Auto Auction (location in Honolulu), we would have had to wait until Monday. Didn't want to incur more car rental expense, so did the pier pick up. Harbor pier staff were really nice and helpful, told us how to get to the nearest gas station 'cause TheTang was on fumes.

Car was a tad spotted 'cause of the rain this morning, but after full inspection, no dings/scratches. Matson pick ups not so lucky, couldn't find out why but there were about 2 dozen cars with damage with one of the freight forwarders who had used them. ; (

Had I known how fast pick-up appointments got filled, I wouldn't have waited for the e-mail to announce that the car was released. I would have booked one a week ago. In less than one hour after they sent out the e-mails on Wednesday, I was looking at Monday. Just some FYI for others.

Turned in the Avis car and we went topless to Makaha. Fun drive and the waves were high and beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 07:17 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,520,618 times
"...there were about 2 dozen cars with damage with one of the freight forwarders who had used them..."

That's the key. Using a freight forwarder to save just a few $ is not worth the headaches. Only ship with one of the three actual shippers to Hawaii. Matson, Horizon, Pasha.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
"...there were about 2 dozen cars with damage with one of the freight forwarders who had used them..."

That's the key. Using a freight forwarder to save just a few $ is not worth the headaches. Only ship with one of the three actual shippers to Hawaii. Matson, Horizon, Pasha.
Md, still doesn't really explain why the damage on Matson's ship? Could it be because they are on deck vs below deck. Just wondering.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:25 PM

285 posts, read 1,083,613 times
thats why I advise to use Pasha because the cars are below the deck, and protected from the elements.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo31958 View Post
thats why I advise to use Pasha because the cars are below the deck, and protected from the elements.
Mahalo Tim, that's why we checked them out! With all the different types of stress when moving from any location, a damage car would not be something I would want to deal with.

As I'm typing this, Don is washing his baby. Not sure if we should call it TheTang or TheBanana.

If your own Oahu and see TheBanana, wave and shout "City-Data", we'll make a U-turn and shake hands.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:53 PM

285 posts, read 1,083,613 times
"the bananatang" I need to wash and wax my baby too, but still have company.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo31958 View Post
"the bananatang" I need to wash and wax my baby too, but still have company.
That works "The BananaTang"! Is it starting to smell like fish at home? Let us know when your calendar's clear.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:30 PM

174 posts, read 349,443 times
How about "it's a Banana Tang".

Old 06-23-2011, 09:16 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,695,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloha_silverlining View Post
Md, still doesn't really explain why the damage on Matson's ship? Could it be because they are on deck vs below deck. Just wondering.
Matson rates are more favorable to auto shipping brokers so they use Matson more than Pasha. The majority of damage occures in transit by the transport company to the pier. The broker and frieght forwarders bid out the shipment top the lowest bidder and that natuarally means greater chance for you car to be mishandled.

Before Matson got its auto shipping vessel, more brokers and freight forwarders used Pasha. If you check some of the post from years ago, you would have seen that Pasha was the one everyone said damaged cars.

The common thing in damage seems to be the brokers and frieght forwarders regardless of using Pasha or Matson.

And incase you missed it, Matson does have an enclosed auto shipping vessel.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Matson rates are more favorable to auto shipping brokers so they use Matson more than Pasha. The majority of damage occures in transit by the transport company to the pier. The broker and frieght forwarders bid out the shipment top the lowest bidder and that natuarally means greater chance for you car to be mishandled.

Before Matson got its auto shipping vessel, more brokers and freight forwarders used Pasha. If you check some of the post from years ago, you would have seen that Pasha was the one everyone said damaged cars.

The common thing in damage seems to be the brokers and frieght forwarders regardless of using Pasha or Matson.

And incase you missed it, Matson does have an enclosed auto shipping vessel.
Even Pasha's drop off location isn't "Pasha", it's Blueline Carriers, they were located about 20 minutes from us, which made for an easy drop off. They haul the cars to San Diego port for Pasha, but also do a lot of classic cars around the mainline. They are not Pasha owed.

When I called Matson about open or closed they said it was on deck not below or enclosed. Also they quoted the same price of $1075, as of June 1st. In May, Matson advertised $975 and in small print the higher prices starting June 1, 2011.

I'm sure that the quantity of cars between carriers will influence the number of damage claims. Just glad that we were one of the lucky ones then.

Tks for the info. Ruby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu