Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 01:02 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,072,228 times

Advertisements

I don't know much about the building, but I've heard that Nauru Tower is part of the economic support of the island of Nauru. All they had on Nauru was bat guano and they were running out of that so they used some of the last of it to build the first Nauru tower and the income from that subsidizes the island of Nauru. I don't know if it's true or not, but that's the story I've heard. From bat guano to apartment rentals, that's a big step up for an island. Nauru tower is in a nice location and it's a pretty new building. Close to the beach, close to shopping, close to Punahou. Sounds more workable than North Shore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,433 times
top private schools: iolani, punahou, hawaii baptist academy...iolani is probably the best academic school in the state. punahou the most "elite"...if you want your kids to be around other rich kids, punahou is probably the right fit.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:06 PM

119 posts, read 377,218 times
We aren't wealthy family but I will not send my kids to public school in Hawaii, although there are public schools that are good in Mililani and Kailua but no way I'd want to live so far from the city, and Honolulu is the ONLY city on Oahu. There rest are suburbs and small towns.

Nauru tower is really nice but the 3 bedrooms are penthouse suites and none of them for sale for the past 6 months, you will have to settle for 2 bedrooms. I love Ala Moana neighborhood, I chose to live there because it's so convenient and lies between Waikiki and downtown. Also because of the new condo buildings with great amenities and high security.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:43 PM

17 posts, read 46,246 times
Thank you everyone for your kind help:

Our girls are now attending Punahou School because they cater for 4th grade and 7th grade The cost ($36000 combined) was a lot less for a top notch private school as compared to schools in California.

Much thank you.

However we now have a slight situation because both of our daughters love surfing and their friends study and live at Sunset Beach. Are we doing the wrong thing forcing them to stay in Honolulu just to go to exclusive schools? Or should be be more relaxing and buy a house in Sunset Beach? At the moment 1 hour drive just to get there and 1 hour drive to come back is 2 hours wasted each day just so that the kids could surf there.

Aloha and Mahalo.

Last edited by elnina; 07-27-2013 at 05:57 AM.. Reason: edited, OP request

Old 06-26-2011, 03:41 AM

82 posts, read 205,909 times
Wow that is amazing. You got both your girls into Punahou that quickly, they must have done very well on the entrance exam. You know what a Punahou education means for your kids future? Theres plenty of surf spots in town. Your joking right?

Old 06-26-2011, 04:23 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,235,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kualoa View Post
Wow that is amazing. You got both your girls into Punahou that quickly, they must have done very well on the entrance exam. You know what a Punahou education means for your kids future? Theres plenty of surf spots in town. Your joking right?
More like cuckoo for coco puffs.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:57 AM

17 posts, read 46,246 times
Quote:

They didnt sit any exams they were recommended by the President of the State Board of Education. Both my kids came from top school in California.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:36 AM

82 posts, read 205,909 times
I must be slow on the upswing because it was not until your last post that I caught on Ms. New to Hawaii. Joliefille thanks for stating what I was thinking, this has been entertaining...

Old 06-26-2011, 11:41 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,072,228 times
Well, they will be going to school every day and surf on North shore is seasonal so it would seem best to live near school and drive to the surf.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:57 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,771,127 times
Quote:
I must be slow on the upswing because it was not until your last post that I caught on Ms. New to Hawaii. Joliefille thanks for stating what I was thinking, this has been entertaining...
Good catch, you two. Plus the new BOE doesn't HAVE a President, only a Chair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu