Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2011, 04:19 PM

3 posts, read 4,706 times

Advertisements

My best friend and I are starting off the new school year soon, and as it comes to an end, and we our out of school, we have decided we are going to buy a one way ticket to Hawaii. We both have jobs, and we both have savings, (i have about 9k, he has about 8k) so we can afford the plane ticket, and we will have enough money to get set up and get an apartment, But for the first couple of weeks we want to just chill at the beach, sleep in hammocks, and have the paradise feel, we also want to go back packing and explore all that oahu has to offer for us, i have been planing this trip for 3 years now, and i have researched so much on Hawaiian culture its not even funny. i would like to get in touch with the locals tho, i want to learn about their culture first hand, its alot different reading about it online than seeing it personaly. If anyone has any suggestions, i would GREATLY appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 06:16 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,234,775 times
You should look into youth hostels on Oahu. You can't sleep on the beach on hammocks unless you have permission from private property owners or a camping permit in certain parks. I think there also might be transitional housing near UH, which of course is where many kids your age will be found.

Have fun and good luck!

Old 07-24-2011, 07:04 PM

thank you for the advice! and as far as sleeping on the beach goes, im sure we can find some way to make it work, legally or not xDD, but im sure i can get a permit to somewhere :PP

Old 07-24-2011, 07:51 PM

5,052 posts, read 6,357,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeKime View Post
My best friend and I are starting off the new school year soon, and as it comes to an end, and we our out of school, we have decided we are going to buy a one way ticket to Hawaii. We both have jobs, and we both have savings, (i have about 9k, he has about 8k) so we can afford the plane ticket, and we will have enough money to get set up and get an apartment, But for the first couple of weeks we want to just chill at the beach, sleep in hammocks, and have the paradise feel, we also want to go back packing and explore all that oahu has to offer for us, i have been planing this trip for 3 years now, and i have researched so much on Hawaiian culture its not even funny. i would like to get in touch with the locals tho, i want to learn about their culture first hand, its alot different reading about it online than seeing it personaly. If anyone has any suggestions, i would GREATLY appreciate it.
Let me get this correct-you both have jobs, and you're going to buy a one-way ticket to Hawaii? Thus giving up those jobs?

What do you intend to do in Hawaii for money when you burn through your 17K combined?

Old 07-24-2011, 09:17 PM

we are still undecided on if we want to stay long term, or just for a while, we planed on trying to get jobs, but if we cant, thats okay to, because we are more or less just looking to get away, a very very extended vacation i guess, we talked to a local landlord and he said he had a few places, studio apartments for around 900 -1000/mo which is reasonable considering the high living costs, we would also have 2 combined incomes, but were just wanting an adventure. it things get bad, we can always call home, and get our families to buy us plane tickets home. yes, we both have jobs, but they arent anything special, i make 8.50, and he makes around that id say.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:42 PM

113 posts, read 252,574 times
Have a great time. Make sure you have round trip tickets in case you need to go home. I believe this will be a wonderful adventure for you. It is a great age for you to explore other areas. Be aware of your where you are and the people around you. Be safe. Don't be too trusting of new friends.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:07 AM

5,052 posts, read 6,357,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeKime View Post
we are still undecided on if we want to stay long term, or just for a while, we planed on trying to get jobs, but if we cant, thats okay to, because we are more or less just looking to get away, a very very extended vacation i guess, we talked to a local landlord and he said he had a few places, studio apartments for around 900 -1000/mo which is reasonable considering the high living costs, we would also have 2 combined incomes, but were just wanting an adventure. it things get bad, we can always call home, and get our families to buy us plane tickets home. yes, we both have jobs, but they arent anything special, i make 8.50, and he makes around that id say.
Okay, you're in good shape then, as long as you go in clear-eyed that you may not be able to stay there forever.

You can probably make 3-4 months easily with your plan, longer if you can find jobs. Go, have a blast, and maybe you will be able to find jobs; 2 of my neighbors while I was there worked construction and a second hotel job (back during one of the boom periods-and yes they occasionally do exist).

I don't for one second regret my time in Hawaii, and it truly was an adventure. An EXPENSIVE adventure, but I really enjoyed it.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:31 AM

33 posts, read 98,307 times
I envy you!!! Not really wishing to be "my 18" again, I know it's just so much to try these adventures like going to Hawaii when one is, uh, older and more settled, hee-hee. So, heck yeah, go for it, have a wonderful time, do everything you dream of doing, and you will never regret it! And here I spent my summer after high school waitressing in No-Wheres-ville, USA!
Shoulda gone to Hawaii!!
Aloha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: