Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 04:49 PM

3 posts, read 8,825 times

Advertisements

What are some of your favorite places to shop for your groceries? Best Produce? Best seafood? local farmers market? Best service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 05:02 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,518,058 times
I used to love going to the farmer's market at Kapiolani Community College on Saturdays. Great produce, but it's VERY crowded these days. For poke, I like Tamura's on Waialae Ave. in Kaimuki and Tanioka's on Farrington Hwy. in Waipahu.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:51 PM

682 posts, read 2,794,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
I used to love going to the farmer's market at Kapiolani Community College on Saturdays. Great produce, but it's VERY crowded these days. For poke, I like Tamura's on Waialae Ave. in Kaimuki and Tanioka's on Farrington Hwy. in Waipahu.
If you want to avoid the crowds, come join us at the Ala Moana farmers market on Saturday instead. A few of the smaller vendors have moved over, and lots of the bigger vendors go to both. There's lots of great stuff. I don't know when or if I'll go back to KCC... Ala Moana is so much easier! (The market is in the upper level parking lot by Sears... ocean views while you shop!)

I second the rec for Tamura's poke.

I pretty much shop at:
(*) Farmers market & my CSA for produce.
(*) Costco for other stuff: milk, flour, cereal, canned goods, household stuff, etc. Oh, booze here, too.
(*) The Wine Stop and Tamura's for higher-end and more specialty booze.
(*) Very occasional forays to Whole Foods, Safeway (but they are not all equal... there's only one I shop at), or Foodland (likewise) for specials.

I feel like I should hit up Kokua market or Down to Earth more often than I do, but even though I work at UH, I almost never make it over that way.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:44 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,939 times
I'm on the Leeward side, so I hit Costco first, then Safeway for things I can't get at Costco or smaller qty's. I also go to Longs for their specials and occasionally a famers market. Unfortunately, on the Leeward side they're not as good as the ones I've visited in Kaneohe or town.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:37 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,518,058 times
Thank you, newUHprof!

Old 11-01-2011, 01:07 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,749,453 times
Stay away from Safeway if you are pregnant and have your three year old child with you.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:17 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Stay away from Safeway if you are pregnant and have your three year old child with you.

Really???

Old 11-02-2011, 12:19 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
As long as one uses common sense and pays for food before consuming it, there should be no problem. However, I prefer Hawai'i-based supermarket chains such as Times and Foodland over the California-based Safeway.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:30 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Too bad KTA doesn't have any locations on Oahu, they are a really good grocery store on the Big Island. They have a lot of local produce and locally produced meats and other products. Are there very many Filipino markets on Oahu? Those over on this island have great prices on produce.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:23 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Too bad KTA doesn't have any locations on Oahu, they are a really good grocery store on the Big Island. They have a lot of local produce and locally produced meats and other products. Are there very many Filipino markets on Oahu? Those over on this island have great prices on produce.
The owners of KTA never wanted to expand beyond the Big Island. When I was growning up, it was called "K. Taniguchi's" after its founder Koichi Taniguchi. Although it expanded and became "KTA Superstores" later on, it's still a family-run business that's focused on the Big Island. Here's a link to an interview with KTA's current CEO and President, Barry Taniguchi...
Barry Taniguchi - Hawaii Business - November 2010 - Hawaii

There are a few Pilipino markets on O'ahu, such as "Jimmy's Produce and Filipino Store" (808/521-2119) on Hotel St. and "Filipino Seafoods & Vegetables Market" (808/676-4770) in Waipahu. I haven't gone to either one of them in over a year, so I don't know what their current produce prices are like in comparison to other stores or farmer's markets...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: