Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 04:36 AM

8 posts, read 16,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Sometimes I think these threads are started by someone putting us on - I mean, come on - a 20 year old insurance salesperson without a place to live, no transportation, no contacts, and a whopping $7,000 - but amusing anyway I suppose.
Age has no meaning in this.
Insurance Agent*
The salesperson part though does come into play because no matter WHERE i am i make friends with anyone, that's why i am so confident.

I realize that the whole no place to live aspect may be a little rough for a few days but i know i'll be able to find a place within a week. Even if i have to rough it for a week, that will be a learning experience.

Why have me as your insurance agent over a local?
When i first started in insurance last November, i was 19 years old. People generally do NOT want to speak to a "kid" in regards to protecting their life. I have immense knowledge in the insurance industry meaning i know how to properly protect you and your loved ones. I am an insurance AGENT who is 100% looking out for my clients/prospects best interest, not my paycheck.

YES, it is going to be... challenging.. to start off but with any (even though i don't consider myself a salesman) sales job it is about networking. I have to grow my business by establishing relationship/trust with the locals.

Even though there are some negative nancy posts, that is fine, i AM going to thrive and make it.. I just wanted some input

Maloha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 02:47 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
Aloha Spike,

No worries, whtviper is just being grumpy. If you're selling insurance, then you can also sell vacuum cleaners or other things so there will probably be some sort of job for you on Oahu. Since you're only twenty and don't seem to be encumbered by Fido, kids or excessive baggage, you'll be able to share a house or room with someone to save rent and be able to manage to make it on whatever job you can find. Most likely, anyway.

Oh, the "Aloha" and "Mahalo" are a bit confusing, aren't they? It takes awhile to get the hang of spelling Hawaiian words. Wait until you get to try to pronounce some of them.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:03 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,695,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike13779 View Post
The salesperson part though does come into play because no matter WHERE i am i make friends with anyone, that's why i am so confident.
confident does not equal intelligent.

Do you have a hawaii insurance licnese? If not you should while still employed where you are get a non resident and tranfer it to resident when you get to hawaii. Will need to do all the paperwork and courses but you have a head start by being non resident before you arrive.

Most insurance agents also do other job such as being a registered rep or handling other fiancial jobs. Most life insurance agents are also licnesed to sell home and auto which is their main money. Few companies deal only with straight life insurance agents or staright home/auto agents, you have to have a couple of skills.

I met a person who works in insurance on hawaii and he sad the sucesful ones that deal only with "one line" (whatever that means) took years to build a client base (people by insurance especially life and disability from people they trust who they know has been around for decades) and even now many rely on their securities and stocks business to make them the money. I think he said one big problem is the law that deals with selling to militray and their dependents cause since that went into place, you are cut off from a good chunk of people on Hawaii.

The biggest thing to overcome is going to be you competeting with people families have been dealing with for years and people who besides just insurance can handle many other fiancial business as well. And not to be harsh but nationwide insurance sdles people are a dime a dozen and most are just used car salespeople in a nicer suit.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
confident does not equal intelligent.

Do you have a hawaii insurance licnese? If not you should while still employed where you are get a non resident and tranfer it to resident when you get to hawaii. Will need to do all the paperwork and courses but you have a head start by being non resident before you arrive.

Most insurance agents also do other job such as being a registered rep or handling other fiancial jobs. Most life insurance agents are also licnesed to sell home and auto which is their main money. Few companies deal only with straight life insurance agents or staright home/auto agents, you have to have a couple of skills.

I met a person who works in insurance on hawaii and he sad the sucesful ones that deal only with "one line" (whatever that means) took years to build a client base (people by insurance especially life and disability from people they trust who they know has been around for decades) and even now many rely on their securities and stocks business to make them the money. I think he said one big problem is the law that deals with selling to militray and their dependents cause since that went into place, you are cut off from a good chunk of people on Hawaii.

The biggest thing to overcome is going to be you competeting with people families have been dealing with for years and people who besides just insurance can handle many other fiancial business as well. And not to be harsh but nationwide insurance sdles people are a dime a dozen and most are just used car salespeople in a nicer suit.
Not to sound conceded, but i am an extremely intelligent/confident person

I'm fully licensed in Life, Health and Property & Casualty so i can handle all aspects of business which is a plus. What i am looking to do is get into a good agency, by doing so it will let me work with their clients and have access to their book of business.

I agree about the dime a dozen about nationwide people BUT i'm not in that category. Like i said before, i'm an insurance agent.. I know my stuff, i'm not "selling" you some insurance just for a paycheck

Funny you say that about car salesman.. my father is one

These days are just DRAGGING out, i can't wait to be in hawaii

Old 12-08-2011, 02:23 AM

263 posts, read 1,005,975 times
Quote:
Not to sound conceded, but i am an extremely intelligent/confident person
On these forums people who try to act as "spelling police" are not popular and generally get their posts removed but I just had to respond to your sentence.

The boldness and energy of youth is admirable and I wish I still had it but you need to listen to the old folks here who live in the islands (yes, I admit I don't, so I come on here and give advice rarely, and only about things I have experience with).

Please don't get angry with the posters who say things you disagree with. Maybe their delivery is not to your liking but on this thread at least they are stating the truth, and has been repeated in endless threads just like this one over the past few years.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:07 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,265,987 times
Quote:
OH! and if anyone has any insurance connections or has any insurance agencies you think i should try i would greatly appreciate that!
Do you have at least a Bachelor's degree (preferably in business, management, or a related field)? First Insurance Company of Hawai'i has a couple of openings...

Old 12-08-2011, 12:15 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Do you have at least a Bachelor's degree (preferably in business, management, or a related field)? First Insurance Company of Hawai'i has a couple of openings...
Not to many college graduates selling insurance at 20 years old.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:38 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,265,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Not to many college graduates selling insurance at 20 years old.
Who knows, the OP might've skipped a few grades in school or something and managed to obtain a Bachelor's degree by the age of 17 (or younger)...

Old 12-08-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Skipped college and went straight into working. I'm not a believer of going to college to learn all that mumbo-jumbo that isn't necessary to my career, I self study and teach my self. Neither of my parents went to college, my father is literally one of the best car salesman in the country and my mom is one of the highest producing real estate agents on the east coast.. Maybe that's where i got it from

Thanks for the headsup though, i'll shoot them an email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBob View Post
On these forums people who try to act as "spelling police" are not popular and generally get their posts removed but I just had to respond to your sentence.

The boldness and energy of youth is admirable and I wish I still had it but you need to listen to the old folks here who live in the islands (yes, I admit I don't, so I come on here and give advice rarely, and only about things I have experience with).

Please don't get angry with the posters who say things you disagree with. Maybe their delivery is not to your liking but on this thread at least they are stating the truth, and has been repeated in endless threads just like this one over the past few years.
Thanks Bob.
I DO appreciate the feedback, even though some of the feedback was.. doubtful, i'm still going to try my hardest so i know for myself

So far 4 companies have called me in regards to my resume in under a week so i'm off to a good start!!
This is so much fun!haha

Old 12-09-2011, 12:45 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,101,416 times
Quote:
...I have absolutely no set in stone arrangements,
No room booked to tide you over till you get a place?

I read that you are getting some responses to your resume, good stuff. Just be leerly of scam artists, both on the job and for a place to stay.

For example...my wife and i checked out a nice place in Waikiki. When we arrived the guy showing the place was in a beat up car and smelled of alcohol. Needless to say, that was an easy one to spot.

Quote:
My plan is to land in Oahu and just hit the ground running to find a place to live and also stop in any/all the insurance agencies i can to look for work. In the meantime i am starting to send out my resume tonight so HOPEFULLY i have some interviews lined up. If not, no big deal, I will find work anyways
Adaptation is a huge thing here. If you can adapt, you can survive. Be sure to stay humble and keep an open mind. There are alot of things here that can easily **** one off (traffic for example), but the island way is to let things be and be patient when possible.

Quote:
Coming from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania i have a decent bit of heavy clothes and i really don't know what to bring.. I'm definitely bringing my light short sleeve dress shirts, all my gym shorts/athletic pants, t-shirts, JEANS??, SUNSCREEN, air mattress until i buy a bed and all my daily living stuff. Any suggestions?
I have 2 pair of jeans and a hoodie. Have only worn that stuff to fly back to the mainland for a visit. You may not need an air mattress if you rent a furnished place.

Quote:
Also, i'm thinking i will just buy a moped/scooter to get around versus buying a car. Would this be practical for me given my profession and the rain?
Lots of folks drive mopeds. For the most part, the rain is pretty light in the area you are describing. It can be an absolute deluge at times though. As others have mentioned, the Bus can get you just about anywhere on the island. Might be a good idea to start out on the bus till you start making an income to purchase a moped.

You definitely sound determined, and that's a good thing. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu