Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 01:19 PM

7 posts, read 12,425 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I've accepted a job in Honolulu and am flying in Feb 20th. The plan is to stay in an inexpensive hotel/motel while I find a place to live. I'm guessing I need the hotel for about 10 days (move into new place March 1st?).

Can anyone suggest something out of the way and low cost? I won't need a kitchenette or proximity to anything touristy. This is simply going to be my base of operations while I finalize work details and find a place to live. (I am using goggle and travel sites, just hoping someone here can recommend an out of the way place that may be hard to find in the vast internet)

I'm focusing my search in Kaneohe and will have a car with me. So I'll need parking but am willing to drive out of the way to the hotel.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 01:29 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeiger View Post
Hi everyone,

I've accepted a job in Honolulu and am flying in Feb 20th. The plan is to stay in an inexpensive hotel/motel while I find a place to live. I'm guessing I need the hotel for about 10 days (move into new place March 1st?).

Can anyone suggest something out of the way and low cost? I won't need a kitchenette or proximity to anything touristy. This is simply going to be my base of operations while I finalize work details and find a place to live. (I am using goggle and travel sites, just hoping someone here can recommend an out of the way place that may be hard to find in the vast internet)

I'm focusing my search in Kaneohe and will have a car with me. So I'll need parking but am willing to drive out of the way to the hotel.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
I'd try vacation rental by owner - hotels are far and few between once out of Waikiki.

Here is a link: East Oahu VRBO® Vacation Rentals - East Oahu Beach Rentals & Condos (http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/hawaii/oahu/east-oahu - broken link)

Old 01-20-2012, 02:18 PM

Thank you for the advice and the link. There are a few listings in Kaneohe I'll look into.

I am also willing to stay in Waikiki if that makes things easier. I currently have an hour commute each way to work so I'm not opposed to having to drive while finding a place to live.

So far the Hawaiian Monarch seems the most reasonable and I will take a stab at PriceLine.

Thanks again.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:40 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,927,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeiger View Post
Thank you for the advice and the link. There are a few listings in Kaneohe I'll look into.

I am also willing to stay in Waikiki if that makes things easier. I currently have an hour commute each way to work so I'm not opposed to having to drive while finding a place to live.

So far the Hawaiian Monarch seems the most reasonable and I will take a stab at PriceLine.

Thanks again.
In your quest, make sure your hotel has parking available, and that it doesn't cost a fortune.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:18 PM

285 posts, read 1,083,910 times
you might also try the Royal Grove very dated, but also very cheap and friendly staff. I have stayed at the Monarch, not bad for a cheaper place to use as a base camp. But If i could get a reservation at the "Grove" thats where I would stay. Good luck

Old 01-20-2012, 03:32 PM

TIMBO: Thanks for the suggestion! I just checked and The Grove is fully booked. Though the staff were friendly and tried to help me.

VIPER: Good idea on vacation rentals. I'm searching now and came across VRBO® is Vacation Rentals By Owner it some promising leads in the Kailua/Koneohe side.

Now I just have to figure out the other millions of details for this move.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:50 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,534,575 times
I believe Maile Sky Court is on the cheap side... def a no frills type of hotel. It's in Waikiki

Old 01-20-2012, 04:39 PM

285 posts, read 1,083,910 times
yes, the sky court is on the cheap side, I prefer the Ambassodor right across the street also on the cheaper side.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:05 PM

219 posts, read 497,749 times
I was looking at Plumeria Apartments when I was thinking about Oahu, even spoke with the owner who seemed real nice and accommodating.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:31 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,875,806 times
Is your job in Kaneohe or City of Honolulu? If Kaneohe, maybe try Pat's at Punaluu - Welcome to Pat's at Punaluu Website

I've stayed at the Monarch several times in the hotel and in the individually owned condo's (actually hotel rooms with a dorm fridge and a hot plate) and it was fine. Parking is limited and extra though. I'd also try the Waikiki Sunset and the Waikiki Banyan. Pretty nice one bedrooms and lots of parking but also generally extra. If your job is in Honolulu I would not stay on the windward side unless you're sure you're fine with the commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu