Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 12:56 AM

649 posts, read 3,445,121 times

Advertisements

Aloha folks. My sis and I are going over to Oahu at the end of the month for a day, and we're looking for a decent, inexpensive hotel - nothing fancy - to crash on Saturday night, before flying back at 10-ish Sunday morning. We're not leaving at 6 a.m., so we don't have to be right by the airport, but we don't want to be too far away; someplace in or around Honolulu.

Anybody have any ideas? I was looking at a quaint little place called the Royal Grove, near the aquarium (we're attending a 'do' at the aquarium on Saturday night). Anybody know of the place? Also, what is the traffic like heading from Diamond Head area to the airport on Sunday morning? Will it be OK because it's the weekend? Do you think we'd be better off finding someplace in Waikiki?

Anybody know of any good kama'aina rates anywhere? We'd like to find someplace without bedbugs for under $100/night (the farther under the better!). TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 03:11 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,460,021 times
You can stay at Aqua hotels for generally around $100. I have stayed in Aqua Bamboo for $100 and it is a pretty good property. Princess Kaiulani should have pretty reasonable rates as well. But that is in Waikiki....

My fboyriend stayed in the New Otani near the zoo and he really liked it. Standard room for KAM was $99.

I'm sure someone who actually lives on Oahu can help you better. My hotels of choice are Moana and Royal...unfortunately, they are too expensive!

Old 02-10-2009, 06:47 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,113,942 times
I've stayed at the Queen Kapiolani in Waikiki, it's a decent hotel, with nice studios [with kitchenettes] are now going for around $99/night. Pickup a cheap dinner at the ABC store, about a block away and you're good to go.

The panoramic views of Diamond Head and the park are jaw-dropping.

One drawback is that the Honolulu Zoo is across the street and some crazy birds may wake you a little too early.
The Waikiki Aquarium is a very short walk from here.
Oahu Revealed - Queen Kapiolani

The Royal Grove is just a few blocks to the West. It's quite old-fashioned, but has loyal clientele.
Oahu Revealed - Royal Grove Hotel

Hope these links are okay.

Traffic on Sunday morning should be a little better than a weekday, it's usually HORRENDOUS. Try to leave early!

Old 02-10-2009, 07:00 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,897,750 times
I also stayed at the New Otani a few years ago. The rooms were small, but I liked it a lot and it's really close to the Aquarium.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:59 AM

66 posts, read 233,368 times
Try the Waikiki Resort Hotel. They have a covered parking deck and is around 90-100 bucks per night. Nice, clean place.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:56 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,387,557 times
The Pagoda Hotel is one of the least expensive, because it's not in Waikiki. Very inexpensive kama'aina rates. You can always take the bus from there. It's too far to walk to the aquarium. I've stayed at the Aqua palms many times - top of Waikiki across from the Hilton Hawaiian Village. That's under $100. Go to hotels.com and do a little quick research. You can get good rates on that to compare, then call the hotel directly and ask for kama'aina rates.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:02 PM

88 posts, read 257,827 times
anytime i get a chance, i stay at the Royal Grove. real cheap, like $60-70. basically no frills (well there's a kitchenette and a/c if you pick the right room) but clean and 2 blocks from Waikiki. Parking is extra at another hotel - not a problem except on one trip, garage was full on the Sat night.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:04 PM

649 posts, read 3,445,121 times
Thanks all! You guys are great. What a wonderful resource.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:53 AM

6 posts, read 16,301 times
What I've found helpful is to google search "Honolulu Airport Hotels" or airport hotels for any city for that matter. You usually will come up with some great affordable options, and some of them are pretty nice actually. You might not find the best Luxury Hotels Honolulu but if youre looking for inexpensive hotels thats a little trick of mine thats worked well for some time now.

Hope this helps.

-jill

Old 12-22-2009, 04:46 AM

285 posts, read 1,083,287 times
Before moving here we stayed at the Royal Grove several times. It cant be beat for the homey atmosphere and friendly people who work there, not mention the price. Good luck getting a room, they are reserved months in advance. There are people who come from Canada and get the same room every year and stay for months at a time. But if you cn get a room go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: