Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 06:50 PM

9 posts, read 22,492 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find a 3 month summer rental for me and one teenager. We want to stay where we can walk or take The Bus. I am having trouble finding a place that's just for the summer. I have a budget of $600 - $800 a month depending on whether utilities are included. It doesn't have to be much or fancy. I need it to be furnished and have at least a kitchenette.

I have placed a wanted ad on craigslist.

Everything I have found is either, a full term lease, a roommate situation which is not going to work or $2,000 a month.

Appreciate any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 07:51 PM

285 posts, read 1,082,992 times
For your budget you might want to reconsider your choices for a destination. I dont think you will find it in Hawaii at least on Oahu.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:33 PM

9 posts, read 22,492 times
Thank you for raining on my parade, captain negativity.

I actually found a great place for $800 everything included near the edge of town in Honolulu, 3.2 miles from Waikiki next to the Manoa and I wasn't asking IF I should go I was just asking for places I should check for housing, like Craigslist. Although I have another month before we go and I'm going to keep looking so if anybody else has suggestions on where I should look for housing because the number 2 step to making any big decision is "How informed are you about all your options?" I just wanted to make sure I asked everyone in case there is a better way of do this or an option I don't know about. The feed back I have gotten on my other post was great.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:15 PM

285 posts, read 1,082,992 times
I am sorry if I struck a nerve. I guess I should have explained a bit more instead of cutting it so short. Yes, you can find cheap rentals here as you have apparently done. And, I agree that craigslist can be a good place to look, but can also be a disaster waiting to happen. I posted my rental on CL and never had a problem nor did my renters but there are several people who post retels on CL just to get your money as I am sure you have read on here from several others advising against using CL. I also noticed that no one else replied to your post, adding their 2 cents worth. Dont know why usually when someone asks about cheaper rentals there is a landslide of replies advising against that and using CL. Remember that most who reply to questions on here do live here and know what is here. You do realize that the place you found for 800.00 a month would only be 26.00 per day? I hope I'm wrong but you better do some research before you send money. People have rented sight unseen for unbelivably cheap prices to only find out when they get here that the place they rented does not exsist. All that being said I am sure that there are places that can be found for cheap but they are few and far between, and you are a very lucky person if it all works out for you. Once again I am truely sorry about the short negative reply I gave you. If you like you cam send me a direct message and I would be glad to drive by and make sure the place actually does exsist and check the area out, as a way to make amends for being so negative.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:27 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,516 times
If you found a place for $800, that's a killer deal (depending on the actual location).

I posted a bit ago after living here for couple months that one thing I wish I would have done was budget more money for a place to live. New to a new town and not having a comfortable place to live only makes it tougher.

Best of luck though. I don't regret for a second moving here. There are so many amazing things about being here.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:03 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Have you or anyone you know actually seen the rental? Perhaps it is student housing available over the summer, otherwise, it seems rather inexpensive and there may be a reason for it.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:21 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
Think I stayed there for a ,,,, uuuurrrrpppp,,, scuze me,,, bit,, back in the 70's..or was that the 80's?????? maybe the 90's? Anyways,, it was quite nice.... Don't sign a lease, and if you find an old fake Rolex there, IT'S MINE!!!!
Seriously,, (sure), I doubt if you'll be 'pleasantly' surprised... But I guess that all depends on where you're coming from, doesn't it..

Ono laki, best of luck

Old 04-10-2011, 06:02 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo31958 View Post
For your budget you might want to reconsider your choices for a destination. I dont think you will find it in Hawaii at least on Oahu.
I completely agree. If you find something for $800 or under, it's most likely either a scam or a dump. ROOMS go for that much, not antire apartments, especially ones that are furnished and have utilities included.

Definitely don't rent sight unseen. You may want to stay in a hotel or hostel for a few days first so that you can check out places you're interested in. Or if you're feeling adventurous, find someone to stay with through couchsurfing.org

Last edited by Becca8377; 04-10-2011 at 06:21 AM..

Old 04-13-2011, 08:52 PM

18 posts, read 42,686 times
It seems like one of those Nigerian scams. They send you a story how they are working as missionaries somewhere in Africa and please tell them a bit about yourself. The next email says: you are a perfect renter for us, bring the money, our representative will bring you your keys. Yeah, right.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:47 PM

369 posts, read 776,879 times
Look for studios in Kalihi. Close to town, decent bus service and comes pretty close to your price range...take note however, Kalihi can be rough in certain areas. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: