Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 04:52 AM

3 posts, read 5,402 times

Advertisements

Aloha!
I'm planning to attend one of the following colleges fall 2012:

1. Kapiolani Community College
2. Leeward Community College
3. Honolulu Community College

So, do you guys know which one of them is best? What would you suggest?

I'm kind of a person that likes calm environment, small size classes and helpful teachers. I don't have a car so I'm not looking for a college which offers a parking place.

Mahalo

Last edited by hamuna; 01-23-2012 at 05:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 06:51 AM

41 posts, read 109,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamuna View Post
Aloha!

I'm kind of a person that likes calm environment, small size classes and helpful teachers. I don't have a car so I'm not looking for a college which offers a parking place.

Mahalo

I would guess all three of these schools teach basic spelling.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:49 AM

270 posts, read 507,466 times
Quote:
Aloha!

Mahalo

I have been to Malmo Sweden (you show as from Sweden) and wonder why you do not just go to a college there or even across the ferry to Puttgarten Germany or beyond ?? There are dozens of colleges in Europe or just sun minded - go to Spain!? Not trying to be critical but you really need to obtain a good English dictionary as well, especially since most Swedish companies use English as a working language. Does Sweden's government subsidize college tuition? Are there restrictions on locations to utilize any subsidy?

http://www.sweden.se/eng/Home/Work/The-Swedish-system/The-Swedish-education-system/university/ (broken link)
PS: I made a very brief query and Sweden tuition is free.....per the link above and others.

Last edited by Jeepers Creepers; 01-23-2012 at 10:13 AM..

Old 01-23-2012, 10:36 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,099,229 times
Aloha Hamuna,

If Swedish is your native language, then you speak excellent English. Much better than I would be able to speak Swedish, that's for sure!

Of the three colleges you listed, Kapiolani would probably be the best one to fit your criteria. It is in a lovely part of the island and you'd probably be able to find a room to rent somewhere nearby. Leeward might also do, but if it were me, I'd choose either one over Honolulu Community College. Although that's only from the location of the campus being in a dicey part of town.

Kapiolani first, then Leeward, then Honolulu. There is also a Windward College on Oahu which has a lovely campus, in a quiet part of the island and has small classes and friendly teachers. TheBus stops has a stop right inside the campus near the college buildings.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Aloha Hamuna,

If Swedish is your native language, then you speak excellent English. Much better than I would be able to speak Swedish, that's for sure!

Of the three colleges you listed, Kapiolani would probably be the best one to fit your criteria. It is in a lovely part of the island and you'd probably be able to find a room to rent somewhere nearby. Leeward might also do, but if it were me, I'd choose either one over Honolulu Community College. Although that's only from the location of the campus being in a dicey part of town.

Kapiolani first, then Leeward, then Honolulu. There is also a Windward College on Oahu which has a lovely campus, in a quiet part of the island and has small classes and friendly teachers. TheBus stops has a stop right inside the campus near the college buildings.

Thank you for your very useful answer! It helped me alot!!! So now I know what I have to do =)

And yes, English is not my native language.. I speak another 3 languages as well..

BIG BIG BIG mahalo!!!

Old 01-23-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers Creepers View Post
I have been to Malmo Sweden (you show as from Sweden) and wonder why you do not just go to a college there or even across the ferry to Puttgarten Germany or beyond ?? There are dozens of colleges in Europe or just sun minded - go to Spain!? Not trying to be critical but you really need to obtain a good English dictionary as well, especially since most Swedish companies use English as a working language. Does Sweden's government subsidize college tuition? Are there restrictions on locations to utilize any subsidy?

Age 18 and above (http://www.sweden.se/eng/Home/Work/The-Swedish-system/The-Swedish-education-system/university/ - broken link)
PS: I made a very brief query and Sweden tuition is free.....per the link above and others.
Here in Sweden we don't pay for tuition. And there is a great opportunity for students who want to study abroad because the goverment wants us to do that by providing any economical support needed (such as loans with very low interest rate, scholarships, etc.) I am not exrtemely sun minded...I have lived in Spain for more than three years =)
Thank you.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Here in Sweden we don't pay for tuition. And there is a great opportunity for students who want to study abroad because the goverment wants us to do that by providing any economical support needed (such as loans with very low interest rate, scholarships, etc.) I am not exrtemely sun minded...I have lived in Spain for more than three years =)
Thank you.

Lycka till på Hawaii, och jag hoppas att du kan uppmana vårt land att använda några av Sveriges underbara idéer!
(Best of luck in Hawaii and I hope you can urge our country to use some of Sweden's wonderful ideas ! )

Old 01-24-2012, 05:29 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,535,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers Creepers View Post
Lycka till på Hawaii, och jag hoppas att du kan uppmana vårt land att använda några av Sveriges underbara idéer!
(Best of luck in Hawaii and I hope you can urge our country to use some of Sweden's wonderful ideas ! )
Hawaii doesn't need higher taxes or more social programs...

Old 01-24-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Hawaii doesn't need higher taxes or more social programs...

Good ideas do not automatically imply increased taxation and social programs, any more than going out to have lunch, implies having a banquet or over indulging.

Swedish tax law is especially lenient on inventory evaluation, depreciation, and certain investment reserves. Swedish tax rules allow a corporation discretion within a wide area to take large or small deductions in any one year. This discretion allows a corporation considerable latitude in leveling out annual results in building up reserves. Though details of the three areas would be too extensive to present here, the depreciation of machinery and equipment is worth noting. The above is just an example not related to social programs and higher taxes.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:49 PM

246 posts, read 651,588 times
Quote:
Aloha!

Mahalo

Halo!
#1 is the best. The school and campus is beautiful and is in the heart of Honolulu. #2 Is far away from Honolulu, living there, you'd need a car. #3 is in a bad industrial neighborhood.

My observation in Community Colleges is that it is for those who did not pass to make it in the University and it feels like something between High School and a University. It would be hard to make friends there.

Classes are small, but the teachers are very good and very helpful. I have had a couple of classes there which I have learned more from professors there than at the University of Hawaii @ Manoa.

There are many places near there that have rooms to rent and you can use public transportation to get to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu