Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 05:08 PM

27 posts, read 90,445 times

Advertisements

So I originally had a different post up, but then I continued to search through all the other posts and realized I was being "that person" who was just repeating a questioning. Ugh, I suck.

Instead, this is my game plan, let me know if I should alter any of it.
>>> 22 years old, friend and I graduate in Dec 09', both degrees are geared towards the hospitality world.
Moving options: Driving from Detroit, Michigan to somewhere on the coast, then flying OR just directly flying. The reason for the drive is my dog, I am hesitant about flying in general with him. (And yes I have already looked in to all the pet stuff)
Arriving, possibly finding a hostel or a cheap hotel to stay in while we scope out places to live, jobs, and the pup sits in the inevitable quarantine. I will be checking out craigslist and the honoluluadvertiser.com before leaving.

I'm not to worried about $$. We live cheap. I think those two elements together work fabulously. Plus my friend and I are extremely go with the flow, whatever happens happens, blah kind of girls.

My only concern is where to live. I feel like job opportunity would be best in Honolulu, as well as being able to interact and act like the young adults that we are. I don't want SUPER rural or seclusion. But I also want to start acting like an adult and not live somewhere that will have me calling home to mommy and daddy to help pay the bills. It sounds like I'm looking for the utopia home: cheap but not in a cheap area! Also think safety: we are two young girls....we're unpredictable.

Last edited by emlandry; 03-15-2009 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: Repeat Questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 05:58 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,513,370 times
Be VERY, VERY wary of any rentals listed on craigslist. Instead, go through local realty agencies. Way too many scams abound.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:03 PM

72 posts, read 346,770 times
Are you familiar with the animal quarantine on Hawaii?

Old 03-15-2009, 06:28 PM

I know craigstlist can be sketchy. Though I have found a handfull of people saying that's how they found their place once they moved. I'll probably just be a wander-er for a couple weeks while I look - but I'll try not to depend on just that one site.

And yes, I've read plenty on the animal stuff, it doesn't seem like that big of a deal as some people seem to make it out to be? Yeah it's not fun, but I'd rather have my puppers with me! If anything the quarantine will help me by having a him secured somewhere while I try to setting in. I've also considdered having him shipped after move.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emlandry View Post
And yes, I've read plenty on the animal stuff, it doesn't seem like that big of a deal as some people seem to make it out to be? Yeah it's not fun, but I'd rather have my puppers with me! If anything the quarantine will help me by having a him secured somewhere while I try to setting in. I've also considdered having him shipped after move.
I don't think you realize what quarantine will cost? Try $1700+ for the full duration!

You must start NOW and get your pet going in the process. Involve your vet, now.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:56 PM

Am I looking at different paper work then others are? I looked at the checklist for the "5 day or less program"
Rabies: He gets the every year to the day, and I have paperwork for each and every one. ($25)
Microchipped last year. ($50)
Bloodwork: Done a month ago ($175)
Flight ($150)
Quarantine ($165-224)

It wasn't very hard, and it's not that costly.

http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/aqs/aqs-checklist-5.pdf
That's the link I have been using. I can't see why for any reason he'd be quarantined longer when I have literally every piece of paper that has ever involved him, and I have followed every detail on that sheet.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:15 PM

When you mentioned quarantine was not such a big deal, you didn't mention that you had been doing the other, required aspects of the program. I would go with direct release at the airport and then board the dog at a local vet until you get all moved in. Then you would know that your dog is OK when you land, just for peace of mind.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:25 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,897,052 times
The quarantine is not "inevitable." It can almost always be completely avoided if you are organized and comply with the rules for Direct Release at the airport. If you are going subject your pet(s) to a long flight, it is far better to take them with you immediately upon arrival rather than to leave them in a series of unfamiliar settings.

From the "Five Day or Less" FAQ on the Dept. of Agriculture Quarantine page:

7. How long does it take to process a pet for direct release at the airport?
Processing times vary, depending on how long it takes your airline to deliver the pet to our facility and the number of pets arriving for inspection at the same time. In some cases, the airline may take up to one hour or more to deliver a pet to our facility for processing.
Generally, we are able to process pets within an hour from the time the pet is received at our facility. However, problems with paperwork may significantly increase processing time.
If you are booking connecting flights, it is recommended that you allow at least 4 to 5 hours.

Link to FAQ: http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/aqs/faq5#q7

Old 03-16-2009, 02:21 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
It would be a LOT easier to move over and settle in first then bring the dog over after you've found a place to live, found a job, etc. Perhaps someone could bring him over when they came to visit?

Dogs don't really mind flying that much if they have gotten comfortable with their crate before the flight. Get them a big dog kennel/crate, the one he will be flying in. Take the door off of it, put his favorite blankets and toys in it and let him move in and make it "home". If you can do this a month or so before flying, that would be good. Then, when he is flying he will have a safe and comfortable spot to be in.

When you mention "quarantine" as inevitable, if the exact directions aren't followed, the dog can be impounded for ninety days (I think it's 90 days, might be 120) and that's what costs the big bucks. You seriously don't want that to happen. Other than the long quarantine, the dog can be immediately shipped back to the mainland or put down. This is how it used to be for all incoming dogs, the new shorter quarantines are much better than before.

Check again next fall to see how the job situation is going. At the moment, there aren't that many jobs out there at all, let alone jobs that will pay for an apartment.

If you fly and leave the dog and the car on the mainland, it might be easier to get started on Oahu. Parking is pretty tight in most places and The Bus is pretty good. You can save a lot of money by not keeping a car so until you got a job and started money coming it, it is best to live as low on the food chain as possible.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:08 AM

287 posts, read 1,372,112 times
I agree with hotzcatz, having a car, a dog and no job or place to live will add significantly to your stress level. Take it one step at a time. Get yourself over here, get settled then take more responsibility for your dog etc. Don't take on too much at once or you might have to make that dreaded call to your parents for cash!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu