Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 09:46 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times

Advertisements

You are likely to have a problem finding a rental that will allow the dog. What breed is he? How much does he weight?

Do you have at least 6 months living expenses saved up to last when you arrive until you find a job? As Hotzcatz said, there are very few places hiring right now. Many have hiring freezes in place and are laying off or cutting hours.

Have you ever been to Hawaii? Best to come visit for a couple of week and scope things out, then make your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 02:14 PM

27 posts, read 90,428 times
My dog is a Beagle/Pekingese mix, under 20lbs. Basically acts like a cat. But I agree with the idea of having him come after I have moved and settled in.

I recently looked into the current unemployements around the country, Hawaii was listed as #12 (extremely impressive figuring Michigan, where I am, is listed as #51 - awesome?). So I'm rather optimistic about a job .

As for the apartment situations, as I have looked into it a bit, I don't believe my friend and I can truely afford a place of our own. So I've now started looking renting just a room from someone else, that her and I can share.

I'm still curious about where I should be looking. Cities, neighborhoods, blah blah blah. I will not be bringing my car (it's a dumb sunfire, and so not worth the money it would cost to get it there), so we would like to be near public transportation.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:12 AM

263 posts, read 1,005,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emlandry View Post
I recently looked into the current unemployements around the country, Hawaii was listed as #12 (extremely impressive figuring Michigan, where I am, is listed as #51 - awesome?). So I'm rather optimistic about a job .
Keep in mind that many have to work two and even three jobs to make ends meet. When one of those jobs is eliminated it becomes difficult to pay the bills, but since only one job is cut then the person is not officially unemployed.

Life can be tough in the land of Aloha.

Bob

Old 03-19-2009, 12:46 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,152 times
I am in the hospitality industry and we have had a hiring freeze at our hotel and almost all of our sister properties for at least 6 months now. We recently had an opening and in 2 days, there were 22 applicants (this is huge). Are there hospitality recruiters at your school? That might help you find a job.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:17 PM

Though I appreciate the employment information - finding a job is not on my list of concerns.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:12 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
If you aren't bringing a car, that pretty much puts you on Oahu. The rest of the islands don't have a viable public transit system and things are too spread out to not have transportation. You might be able to not have a car in Hilo town, but you'd still want a bicycle or moped and it would still be difficult. Almost anywhere on Oahu is pretty well served by The Bus.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:31 PM

Can you think of any particular cities or areas that more of the younger residents, or even have more of the mainland population (I read that Kailua did)?

Old 03-19-2009, 11:56 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emlandry View Post
Though I appreciate the employment information - finding a job is not on my list of concerns.

This should be #1 on your list of concerns.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:44 PM

For most I'm sure, though for myself personally - it isn't.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:54 AM

27 posts, read 107,944 times
You could always get a tent, and post up on the beach, right? I've debated moving from minnesota to hawaii ever since I was 12, when I actually went there for my first time. Since then I've been back twice, each time wishing I could make the move. Being a "haole" or white mainlander for those of you who haven't looked into it, I've come to understand that the locals are going to be taken care of first, understandably and respectively.

In this recession, which is practically another depression... I'd have to agree with KonaKat on the job situation. I'd do a wee bit more research on your big move. Perhaps, actually go there for a week or two to check things out, talk to employers? Crazy, I know. Being a recent college grad "haole" in the tourist/hospitality field isn't going to be as easy as I believe you're expecting. "pretty white girl or not" You're an outsider, and don't have any connections on the island...

Last edited by 7th generation; 03-21-2009 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: unnecessary commentary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu