Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 10:40 PM

19 posts, read 53,384 times

Advertisements

As the title request, anyone from the DC, Maryland and Virginia area that moved out to Hawaii that wants to share their success stories and tips for success? I have an older sister that moved out to Oahu and after visiting her for the second time my wife and I are compelled to move out to Oahu as well. We partially understand the complications of travel and necessary adjustment to the cost of living but how much trouble is it to move literally from one side of the US to the other? After living in the mid-atlantic for all of our lives and experiencing heavy traffic, high tax rates, high cost of living and over population how big of a financial and lifestyle jump is it from MD to HI? All responses are appreciated but it'd be nice to hear a point of view from people with similiar backgrounds. Mahalo!

If it helps my wife is an RN specialized in cardiovascular childcare and I'm a construction superintendent for large commercial projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 10:46 PM

19 posts, read 53,384 times
By the way I should note that we are both younger (30yo) with no children. We both own houses here in Maryland and would most likely rent our properties for the time being would would provide extra cash on our pockets.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:49 PM

69 posts, read 269,665 times
I am from DMV area as well and will be relocating to Honolulu in February. I am working with my job who is providing relocation on the moving details. I can share any information with you as I go through the process and once I have completed the move. I am also in my early 30's, young professional female.

BTW, I've found that most people not from our area have no idea what DMV stands for... probably thinks it's the Dept of Motor Vehicles LOL

Old 01-30-2012, 08:24 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,047,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocater2HI78 View Post
I am from DMV area as well and will be relocating to Honolulu in February. I am working with my job who is providing relocation on the moving details. I can share any information with you as I go through the process and once I have completed the move. I am also in my early 30's, young professional female.

BTW, I've found that most people not from our area have no idea what DMV stands for... probably thinks it's the Dept of Motor Vehicles LOL
I'm one of those that thought Dept of Motor Vehicles.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:06 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,142,443 times
Okay, so what does the "DMV" stand for if it isn't Department of Motor Vehicles?

Old 01-30-2012, 11:09 AM

12,120 posts, read 18,023,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Okay, so what does the "DMV" stand for if it isn't Department of Motor Vehicles?
Washington DC, Maryland, Virginia metro area.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:19 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,142,443 times
Oh, okay, that sort of makes sense now. It seems similar to DMZ (which is Demilitarized Zone, I think) when you just look at it and figure it isn't the Dept. of Motor Vehicles.

Does the DMV have specific attitudes which would make it difficult for the folks there to migrate to Hawaii? Especially busy people or anything?

Old 01-30-2012, 11:33 AM

21 posts, read 58,687 times
Default Guess I need to get out more often...

I live in Maryland and thought DMV was Department of Motor Vehicles.

I advocate proper use of acronyms.

If I wrote "I advocate PUOA" would you have known what I was referring to?

Old 01-30-2012, 05:21 PM

941 posts, read 1,974,886 times
Another vote against calling it DMV. I've heard called the DC metro area, but not DMV until now. At least the OP didn't say tri-state or tri-city (there are several of each). It's a bit harsh to jump on this one turn of phrase, but to successfully relocate, you really need to focus on how others see the world (their world that you are moving to).

B_More Boy wrote: "After living in the mid-atlantic for all of our lives and experiencing heavy traffic, high tax rates, high cost of living and over population..." Are you saying you're trying to get away from those, or are experienced with them figure you might as well have the good weather too? I think the consensus is that you can find all of those in Oahu, as well as less job opportunity and less cost-of-living-adjusted pay. But Oahu has big hospitals and big construction, and with proper expectations and preparations, you could can be successful.

Hopefully you have read other threads about the actual move (savings, moving strategies, movers, temporary housing, getting established, making contacts, etc., etc.).

I'm not from DC, but the specifics that I could think of: huge distance with no direct flights (only Newark, NJ and maybe Atlanta to HNL). That translates to higher moving costs and difficulty and cost in seeing friends and relatives (both for you to travel back and them to come see you). Unfamiliarity with the Asian culture could give you culture shock.

Otherwise, tell us what you like to do and hope to achieve. Are you looking for a 2-year adventure or really planning on shifting gears permanently?

Old 01-30-2012, 05:51 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,892,653 times
We know some friends who have made the move to Honolulu some time ago. However, they might move back to the mainland in a year or so for the reasons I highlighted in bold. These problems are even worse and/or higher there since it is a much smaller area and one traffic accident can clog up the whole island. Things also have to be shipped by boat which drives up the cost of many products. Not trying to be a troll here but HI and AK have overall higher cost of living than the lower 48.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_More Boy View Post
After living in the mid-atlantic for all of our lives and experiencing heavy traffic, high tax rates, high cost of living and over population how big of a financial and lifestyle jump is it from MD to HI? All responses are appreciated but it'd be nice to hear a point of view from people with similiar backgrounds. Mahalo!

If it helps my wife is an RN specialized in cardiovascular childcare and I'm a construction superintendent for large commercial projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu