Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 02:08 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
But would you have taken into account the $300/month less I take home vs a private sector job paying the exact same $36,500?
It was YOUR responsibility to find out how much your take home pay would be and if you can then afford to live there, BEFORE taking the job.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:58 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,525,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
It was YOUR responsibility to find out how much your take home pay would be and if you can then afford to live there, BEFORE taking the job.
This.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:09 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,101 times
Quote:
And that means I shouldn't post about the fact that our take home pay is much less in the public sector? whtvper1 referred to me making about what the OP does and I posted in this thread to explain that I take home much less, and then got flamed for it.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:27 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,525,820 times
Quote:
And that means I shouldn't post about the fact that our take home pay is much less in the public sector? whtvper1 referred to me making about what the OP does and I posted in this thread to explain that I take home much less, and then got flamed for it.
BS! You got flamed for saying you didn't have a choice. It's your own fault for not doing your research.

I looked at your posting history and found it interesting that you didn't once post on advice regarding moving here. You posted basically saying you got a job and were moving to Maui. Had you actually elaborated and asked questions, you may have found that you wouldn't be able to make it out there. But you didn't. And again, that's your fault - not anyone on here.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
BS! You got flamed for saying you didn't have a choice. It's your own fault for not doing your research.

I looked at your posting history and found it interesting that you didn't once post on advice regarding moving here. You posted basically saying you got a job and were moving to Maui. Had you actually elaborated and asked questions, you may have found that you wouldn't be able to make it out there. But you didn't. And again, that's your fault - not anyone on here.
whtvipr1:Wink - time to get a new job - don't accept those low wages.
me: In Hawaii you have no choice but to accept your low wages. We are operating on the plantation model after all.

I DON'T have a choice in Hawaii, otherwise I'd obviously be making more money. That's why I'm applying for jobs on the mainland. This has been covered time and time again. Employers have workers here by the balls, and they accept it because they're stuck in a plantation mindset, thankful to massah for letting them cut cane. Hence we have a union that allows lifeguards to be paid $9/hr, worst in the nation teacher pay, resorts making massive amounts of money even during the recession yet paying minimum wage, etc.

I didn't post a thread because I spent months reading threads on this forum. That's how I came to the conclusion that a $36500 salary would be enough for Maui. It just didn't occur to me that I'd have to pay so much for health insurance in a state with an employer mandate, or that pensions were mandatory, or that I'd have $180 electric bills without air conditioning, or that I'd have to live on the other side of the island and have to drive 20 miles every day, or that furloughs would cut my pay by 5%...

Last edited by winkosmosis; 03-01-2012 at 04:55 PM..

Old 03-01-2012, 05:39 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
whtvipr1:Wink - time to get a new job - don't accept those low wages.
me: In Hawaii you have no choice but to accept your low wages. We are operating on the plantation model after all.

I DON'T have a choice in Hawaii, otherwise I'd obviously be making more money. That's why I'm applying for jobs on the mainland. This has been covered time and time again. Employers have workers here by the balls, and they accept it because they're stuck in a plantation mindset, thankful to massah for letting them cut cane. Hence we have a union that allows lifeguards to be paid $9/hr, worst in the nation teacher pay, resorts making massive amounts of money even during the recession yet paying minimum wage, etc.

I didn't post a thread because I spent months reading threads on this forum. That's how I came to the conclusion that a $36500 salary would be enough for Maui. It just didn't occur to me that I'd have to pay so much for health insurance in a state with an employer mandate, or that pensions were mandatory, or that I'd have $180 electric bills without air conditioning, or that I'd have to live on the other side of the island and have to drive 20 miles every day, or that furloughs would cut my pay by 5%...
Just saw an ad for TSA in Maui - advertised many openings - starting salary up to $50K - give it a shot.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:47 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,943 times
Quote:
No, I think you should continue to post here because many people can learn from the situation that you chose to put yourself in. However, it would be nice to see the tune change just a bit. Something like; These are the mistakes I have made...... This is what I have learned from my mistakes..... This is how I am working towards correcting my mistakes.....
I think you can be a great asset here Wink. I still wish you the very best and much success in the future!

Old 03-01-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
No, I think you should continue to post here because many people can learn from the situation that you chose to put yourself in. However, it would be nice to see the tune change just a bit. Something like; These are the mistakes I have made...... This is what I have learned from my mistakes..... This is how I am working towards correcting my mistakes.....
I think you can be a great asset here Wink. I still wish you the very best and much success in the future!
I have posted the mistakes I've made many times, including in that very post you quoted...

And here's another mistake I made: Expecting a union represented government job to pay enough to get by in the municipality in which it exists.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:49 AM

406 posts, read 865,605 times
Quote:
Do you live in Hawaii? Do you know what the law says? Apparently not. Hawaii. Not. Ohio. Hawaii. Not. Ohio.

Why is it so difficult to understand that the law here requires private sector employers to pay almost the full cost of health insurance, and that most pay 100%? Jesus H Christ.
Wink, that's some of the things I am researching just in case I do get to move to Hawaii. How much will I have to pay for insurance since I am retired. And there are pre-existing conditions that may not allow me to get insurance!!!! I probably won't have even a part-time job if I move to Hawaii, and if I do, it will probably be less than the 20 hours a week that requires employers to offer and pay part of insurance. And that situation would be the same in Ohio, Hawaii, Alaska, California or any other state.

Now I do have some ideas for a part-time and/or home based business for extra income if I move to Hawaii. I research that kind of stuff also. I've tried to pass some of this information to you, and tried to give you some ideas of things you can do for extra income and where to look on-line for information about small business in Hawaii. Others have done the same. Nowhere have I seen that you have even looked into them seriously.

Wink, I'm really, really trying to help you as much as I can from a long distance but we are kind of getting tired of all the whining in almost every post. At least show us where you are looking into some of these ideas. If you don't see anything useful in any of those ideas, just let us know. We can come up with a bunch more between all of us. You need to get off the negative attitude and get a positive attitude - it can make a big difference.

Mickey (who is just trying to give you some of his 73 1/2 year old's experience)

Old 03-02-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyE View Post
Wink, that's some of the things I am researching just in case I do get to move to Hawaii. How much will I have to pay for insurance since I am retired. And there are pre-existing conditions that may not allow me to get insurance!!!! I probably won't have even a part-time job if I move to Hawaii, and if I do, it will probably be less than the 20 hours a week that requires employers to offer and pay part of insurance. And that situation would be the same in Ohio, Hawaii, Alaska, California or any other state.

Now I do have some ideas for a part-time and/or home based business for extra income if I move to Hawaii. I research that kind of stuff also. I've tried to pass some of this information to you, and tried to give you some ideas of things you can do for extra income and where to look on-line for information about small business in Hawaii. Others have done the same. Nowhere have I seen that you have even looked into them seriously.

Wink, I'm really, really trying to help you as much as I can from a long distance but we are kind of getting tired of all the whining in almost every post. At least show us where you are looking into some of these ideas. If you don't see anything useful in any of those ideas, just let us know. We can come up with a bunch more between all of us. You need to get off the negative attitude and get a positive attitude - it can make a big difference.

Mickey (who is just trying to give you some of his 73 1/2 year old's experience)
I posted about people with private sector jobs in Hawaii having free health insurance and you called it a myth... Based on your experience in Ohio being retired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: