Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 07:39 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,449,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Yes, you can do the math beforehand.

You figure out how much you'll be making... TAKE HOME PAY (minus taxes, unions, insurance, etc).

Then you go from there. I figured out all my normal expenses, such as groceries, gas, etc. From there, I saw how much I had left for rent and worked with what I would have with that. I called all of my student loan angencies or anyone I owed money to so I could factor that into my bills. I knew it would be tight and/or I wouldn't make it. And it turned out that I couldn't stay there long term, so I got out after 2 years.

Point is, yet again, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Don't blame Hawaii and their policies. You didn't know them? Well, that's your fault!
Yes I know it's my fault. Give it a rest already. I'm tired of McFrostyJ is constantly attacking me and accusing me of not doing anything to improve my situation, I don't need you doing it too.

You know what? I'm really sick of this. All I did was explain how much less pay I take home by being a government worker, in response to someone else's post claiming that I make about the same wages as the OP. And for that, I got admonished for being foolish, and for not finding a new job, when I've explained over and over again that I apply to several jobs every damn week. Being an ass to someone is not the same as giving advice. "I live in Ohio and I pay for my own health insurance" IS NOT ADVICE. "You need to get a new job" IS NOT ADVICE. "Buy this financial huckster's book about saving money even though you don't waste any money" IS NOT ADVICE. "Look at this post you made 2 years ago, you idiot" is what I call trolling. I'm done with this forum... And especially with you mainlanders who don't even live here, much less work here.

Last edited by winkosmosis; 03-02-2012 at 08:00 PM..

Old 03-02-2012, 08:13 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,818,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
"Buy this financial huckster's book about saving money even though you don't waste any money" IS NOT ADVICE. "Look at this post you made 2 years ago, you idiot" is what I call trolling.
Actually Wink, I offered to mail you my copy of the book, 100% free of charge to you, because I learned a few things from it and thought maybe you might learn something too. Also, when did I call you an idiot? MANY times I said nice things about you, wished you luck and have even gave you reps for some of your good posts!

Old 03-03-2012, 06:58 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,532,184 times
Quote:
Yes I know it's my fault. Give it a rest already. I'm tired of McFrostyJ is constantly attacking me and accusing me of not doing anything to improve my situation, I don't need you doing it too.

You know what? I'm really sick of this. All I did was explain how much less pay I take home by being a government worker, in response to someone else's post claiming that I make about the same wages as the OP. And for that, I got admonished for being foolish, and for not finding a new job, when I've explained over and over again that I apply to several jobs every damn week. Being an ass to someone is not the same as giving advice. "I live in Ohio and I pay for my own health insurance" IS NOT ADVICE. "You need to get a new job" IS NOT ADVICE. "Buy this financial huckster's book about saving money even though you don't waste any money" IS NOT ADVICE. "Look at this post you made 2 years ago, you idiot" is what I call trolling. I'm done with this forum... And especially with you mainlanders who don't even live here, much less work here.
Even though you acknowledge it's your fault, I feel like you're still trying to figure out ways to make it not your fault. For instance, saying you can't do the math beforehand. I pointed out that yes you can. And then you flip out.

MANY people have given you good advice on this forum. Just because you don't like it and/or choose not to take it, doesn't make it "not" advice. I even remember McFrosty offering to mail you that book in the past and you flipped out. And also, NO ONE has EVER called you an idiot! I don't think you're an idiot at all, I just think you failed to do your research.

Yes, I live on the mainland. But that doesn't negate the fact that lived on Oahu for 2 years and went through many of the same hardships you are going through. Not to your extent and I was able to get out, but that doesn't mean I never went through it.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:36 PM

749 posts, read 853,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyE View Post

Now I do have some ideas for a part-time and/or home based business for extra income if I move to Hawaii. I research that kind of stuff also.
Mickey (who is just trying to give you some of his 73 1/2 year old's experience)
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Actually Wink, I offered to mail you my copy of the book, 100% free of charge to you, because I learned a few things from it

If I may break into the 'whack-a-wink' game here.....the whole can we afford....etc could be helped by these books, ideas, dare I say fantasimal work anywhere, etc stuff - so do Please Tell us All MickeyE & McFrosty - Thx!!!!

Old 03-03-2012, 02:09 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,818,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr22 View Post
If I may break into the 'whack-a-wink' game here.....the whole can we afford....etc could be helped by these books, ideas, dare I say fantasimal work anywhere, etc stuff - so do Please Tell us All MickeyE & McFrosty - Thx!!!!
The book I was offering to send Wink was my copy of "The Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey. I am sure that he probably already knew most everything that is in there but I figured if he learned just one new thing that would help him get out of his current situation and improve his quality of life, then it would be more than worth the FREE price.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:39 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,449,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
The book I was offering to send Wink was my copy of "The Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey. I am sure that he probably already knew most everything that is in there but I figured if he learned just one new thing that would help him get out of his current situation and improve his quality of life, then it would be more than worth the FREE price.
I looked the book up on Amazon, and basically it's for people who don't know how to manage their money and need a guy to tell them to stop wasting money on eating out, and instead pay off their debts. In other words completely irrelevant to me. I have no wasted money that CAN go to paying off debts. My concern right now is getting by while searching for a new job so I can actually pay off debts, save money, and invest in photography as a side gig...

The reality is my debt is going to increase for the short term, and once I have a few thousand dollars disposable income per year it will disappear very quickly. Right now I'm working on an app for a job in New Braunfels that pays $45k. With that salary in a small Texas town I can pay off all CC debt in a year. At my current income... never, because I can't spare any for paying off debt.

Last edited by winkosmosis; 03-03-2012 at 04:48 PM..

Old 03-03-2012, 04:45 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,930,312 times
Quote:
I looked the book up on Amazon, and basically it's for people who don't know how to manage their money and need a guy to tell them to stop wasting money on eating out, and instead pay off their debts. In other words completely irrelevant to me. I have no wasted money that CAN go to paying off debts. My concern right now is getting by while searching for a new job so I can actually pay off debts, save money, and invest in photography as a side gig...
I saw a chapter that talked about when you get a job you ask about the salary and the benefits - and the cost of those benefits. It goes into a total compensation discussion.

Ok, I'm making that up - but to everyone out there - you don't have to be in Hawaii to ask what benefits you'll get and what the cost of those benefits will be.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:53 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,430,560 times
6 pages and the OP hasn't been back. We'll throw the 'ole lock on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: