Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 08:30 PM

41 posts, read 60,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freehorse101 View Post
I got a job offer with the salary of 80K per year. But my husband can not find anything at present. We have two kids (4 year and 18 month). Can we get by with my salary?

you will be just fine, if you have some savings and decent credit you should consider buying. 80k a year is not easy to obtain here in Hawaii.

I suggest buy or rent in Manoa Valley as its close to work and a nice neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 07:09 PM
hln

14 posts, read 29,763 times
Welcome to UH Manoa! I'm also a new professor at UHM. The faculty housing is hard to get into. Most of my dept. colleagues live in Hawaii Kai. I agree with the other poster that you'll probably spend at least $1800 for rent for an apartment. It's not just the cost. The quality of housing is lower than what you're probably used to on the mainland. Properties tend to be more run down, less well maintained. Manoa is a nice neighborhood, but not many apartments, and most houses are too expensive for junior faculty. Electricity is very expensive here, another $100-200 a month.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:09 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,511,121 times
Two answers, yes and no.
Yes, if you don't mind lowering your standard of living from the mainland, and I mean lower it allot.
No, 80K is not much here. I made 110K and had a home in Mililani, and life was okay. We didn't have new cars, just the house, bills (cable, electricity etc). It is a stressful place, traffic,, food costs, racism, and education sucks in Hawaii and has a lot to be desired. Dont be fooled by the pretty pictures and aloha spirit crap on Oahu, its a metropolis, no different than any other city stereotype.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:23 PM

2 posts, read 7,907 times
I work at the UH right now as a postdoc. Like people say, 80K is okay to make ends meet if you don't want a lot of things, eat cheaply, and can be comfortable in a run down place. For what I want and where I am in life, Hawaii is too expensive for my family of three at 110,000 dollars a year, and if I did get offered a job at UH (I did apply for an open position last month), I don't think I would take it though it would bump the family income to 140,000. I just want a better standard of at-home living and am willing to give up the natural beauty of the island and weather for that. Though, many people would rather take the Hawaii lifestyle and have a lot less and are quite happy here. I would suggest you look for housing within a few miles of campus though, traffic around UH is quite congested.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:34 PM

48 posts, read 354,475 times
Yes, you can, but you need to adjust your standards and be HAPPY with it. Case in point, you can probably find a $1500 apartment but it's going to be a walk-up dive that you probably would find going for $500 in your home city. Do a little homework first, by visiting some of these $500 rat shacks in your neighborhood, close your eyes and think "Same place, but it will be in Hawaii". If the pros still outweigh the cons, then go for it!

Old 02-29-2012, 05:29 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,939 times
Everyone is assuming her husband will never find work! I'm sure eventually he'll find something and they'll be fine. 80K is a great start.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:37 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freehorse101 View Post
I got a job offer with the salary of 80K per year. But my husband can not find anything at present. We have two kids (4 year and 18 month). Can we get by with my salary?
You'll be fine, just watch your budget. Consider shipping over your car if it is already paid for and reliable. You've got a year or two before you have to consider a school for your oldest child, that gives you some wiggle-room.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:11 PM

38 posts, read 73,167 times
Wow -- I remember when $80K/Year was a top salary. In Hawaii, it's still a wow -- except here the roof over your head costs so much. Utilities are outrageous and will get even more so as we rebuild our water and sewer systems -- something the Democrats neglected to do for the last 40 years. Taxes are on a level with California -- high. If you can get your kids into decent schools without paying tens of thousands of dollars a year, you should go for it. Your husband can work at a Korean bar or someplace.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:33 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpreston;26667343 Your [B
husband[/b] can work at a Korean bar or someplace.
From what I've heard, some Korean Bars specialize in something a man cannot provide.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:07 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,575,502 times
Yep,, too bad the Glades on Hotel Street closed down... Kind of miss Prince(ss?) Kalani.. Think that was his/her name..

Aloha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: